What Do You Like Better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why are Rise Up and ISHFWILF being compared? shouldn't it be Desert of Our Love?

I like the final product more than its earlier incarnation in each instance, except Saturday Night.

Native Son or Vertigo - by a million miles.
Always or Beautiful Day
Lady With The Spinning Head or The Fly
Lady With The Spinning Head or Ultraviolet - but it's close.
Rise Up or I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Either/Or

Why are Rise Up and ISHFWILF being compared? shouldn't it be Desert of Our Love?

I like the final product more than its earlier incarnation in each instance, except Saturday Night.

Yes, should be desert of our love, as the drums and bass from that was what became Still Haven't Found.

I agree with U2 as well.

The way I see it:

Native Son and Always are good songs, but far from the best unfinished products/b-sides they have ever put out. Never mind album tracks. BD and Vertigo win here.

Lady...is spectacular!! Especially the extended dance mix. However, it has parts unique to both The Fly and Ultraviolet that I feel had to be taken out and expanded on seperately. So it gets a ton of credit for just being all kinds of fuc**n amazing on its own, but even more credit for spawning 2 of the most beloved and brilliant U2 tracks, the Fly and Ultraviolet. This situation would not have existed absent Lady evolving into UV and Fly, so I have to go with those 2.

Maybe LWTSH could have been released as a stand alone single?

Still Haven't Found, the #1 status and its place in the U2 canon speaks for itself. This was the right decision.

Although I don't think it should have made the album, that does nothing to diminish Rise Up as a song. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT, and listening to all of the b-sides on JT remastered after you have listened to the actual album, like I was doing on repeat around this time in 2008, makes it extremely hard for even the most devoted 90s U2 fan to argue against this as their best era! JT just sweeps you up, takes you away and lifts your spirits no matter what!

Saturday Night or Fire- Fire.

I usually agree with U2. The only b-sides or other songs I think should have made it to albums are:

Pop
Holy Joe over Playboy Mansion

Unforgettable Fire:
Three Sunrises over 4th of July

Loves Comes Tumbling over Elvis Presley.Elvis Presley, IMHO, is U2's only album track that just screams "b-side." In fact, I have solved the mystery of the unintelligible lyrics in places- Bono is yelling for B-side! Larry is vehemently objecting.:lol::lol:

Native Son
Always
The Fly
Ultraviolet
Saturday Night
Rise Up

I like Native Son, as a song, way better than Vertigo. Always sort of breathed new life into BD for me when I heard it, but I still like it better. The two AB tracks are just better to me, although I love LWTSH. I actually think Saturday Night is a thousand times cooler than Fire :reject:
As for Rise Up (although as previously mentioned, think ISHFWILF was derived from Desert of our Love)...it could actually be in my top five favorite U2 songs of all time. The only thing holding it back is the general incoherence of the "lyrics".

Vertigo
Beautiful Day
The Fly
Ultraviolet

That's just the first four, but they all made the album cut for a reason. :)

i meant desert of our love instead of rise up, or whatever. i knew it was one of them but i didn't feel like checking.

i like always better than beautiful day.

are there any more examples like these? i just wrote them off the top of my head.

one that might be similar is zoo station and that passengers song that is the zoo station mix or something... it's a b side from miss sarajevo, i forget the title.

I must be one of the few people that really likes Elvis Presley and America. To me it's one of the best songs on the album, and one of the best they've ever done. It's so weird.

x1000000000000000000 to Elvis Presley and America.

Anyway:

Native Son
Always
Lady With The Spinning Head
Ultraviolet
Fire
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Lady With The Spinning Head (One of the best songs that never made it to an album)
Ultraviolet
Fire

Native Son
Beautiful Day
Lady With The Spinning Head
Ultraviolet
Fire

Back
Top Bottom