What do U2 have to say to the unemployed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure that I fully understand some elements of your post.

Firstly, Bono actually has at times made a bit of a big deal about being from a 'salt-of-the-earth' working class background, albeit maybe not quite in the sense of people like Springsteen and Mellencamp. Indeed, back in the '80's or early 90's, Bono's late father complained in an interview that Bono was presenting his upbringing and background as being desperately tough, whereas in fact, though they certainly didn't have it easy, that was mainly due to Bono's mother unfortunately passing away at a young age. They were not well off, but they were not poor either, not by the standards of 1970's northside Dublin.

I don't really understand your second paragraph. You seem to be assuming that I am talking purely of the US economy situation, which is not what I am saying at all.

Thanks, at least, for addressing my thread in a respectful way and not with the trollish comments some have made.

Hi Fianance Guy and thanks for your reply. I now have a better understanding of what your intentions were with this thread. And financially Bono's family, during his upbringing, was a little bit better standard than mine. Single mom's ( I was raised by one) did not make the same salaries as their male counterparts and with four of us kids. Things were tough. We really were poor/working class.

I'm sorry, in regards to my second paragraph. I have re-read it and it did come off as being snotty. It was more of a blanket statement, to those who seem to know all about the U.S. Critical of the average people who live here and have never even stepped foot in my country. I also believe that the "Troubles" in Northern Ireland were a horrible time for the folks, who had to experience this on a daily basis. I understand division.

During the sixties, when I was a child. America was greatly divided over the Vietnam War. The poor were drafted into the Army and the rich college kids, avoided the war and protested. Of course, I saw this from a poor child's point of view. Since, it was our fathers and brothers, who if they were lucky and returned home, suffered nightmares. They were spit upon and looked upon as baby killers. This influenced my generation, who was more closely related to the punk movement. We felt, stop living off of daddy's money, put down your signs and your weed, and get a job. Like the rest of us. We were not sympathetic to the Hippies. Though, we also disagreed with the war. We were resentful of the treatment towards our families. I know this post is a bit long. So, I will end it here. And it was nice chatting with you, FG.

They shouldn't say anything to the unemployed, unless it's ironic. We've had 10 years of sincere U2- it's boring.

Yeah, Bono was raised by a single dad and had some brothers right? His dad worked as a postal worker in Ireland?? I don't think he had it too bad. I know what it's like to lose a mom though. That obviously affected him since he lost her at a young age.

Sure Bono himself never had to work a day in his life since right out of school he went into U2. I would never personally hold that against Bono. Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry obviously had something magical and wonderful happen to them. They worked their asses off during their early years in U2 and with that work came great rewards for them and for us with the output that they managed to give us.

But what can U2 say for the unemployed anyway? Why would the unemployed even want a rich rock star speaking for them? Sure times are tought big deal. U2 made millions off of people, but U2 should feel no remorse for that. U2 are business men that make a product. People buy it if they want. Some people will make wise decisions with their money, some people will not.

My suggestion is for all unemployed U2 fan's temporarily switch over to being Ted Nugent fan's.They will then learn how to hunt for game,grow their own food live off the land and be self sufficient without working.When their life stabilizes they can then switch back to being U2 fan's.

It's like Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh...

Dear Lemonfix,

It has come to our attention that you have become unemployed. Because of the great support that you have shown the U2 corporation over the years, we would like to offer you a position with Principle Management. You will be responsible for setting up the food and drink table at each venue on the U2360 Tour. Your benefits will include a hotel room, stipend, a VIP ellipse pass for every show, and a spot on the new U2 airplane. Also, during breaks in the tour, you have the opportunity to stay in Bono's guest house.

Sincerely,

U2

I think it's a reasonable question, with unemployment rates trending upwards and set to burst through the 10% mark in many countries.

Much of U2's earlier (and, let's face it, better) material - songs like Bad, Running to Stand Still, Silver and Gold, Red Hill Mining Town - and many more - spoke to the dispossessed and marginalized.

But U2 have changed, and it's hard to see what a gang of multimillionaires and property developers can possibly have to say to the dispossessed and marginalised.

Back in the mid '80's, U2 were heavily involved in the organisation of a concert called 'Self-Aid' in Ireland, aimed at generating awareness of the plight of the unemployed and Bono even sat briefly in a committee put together by the then Irish Prime Minister Garret Fitzgerald. While the project was, arguably, misconceived, I think most people viewed it as a genuine and well intentioned gesture.

I doubt if they'd try to do the same thing now, but if they did, I reckon it would be treated as a rather tasteless joke.

How can fat Bono possibly think he's relevant any more?
Here, here.
I think U2 has changed. They talk about loving the fans, but it's really about fleecing us. Even if I'm willing to pay $250 for a ticket, that's no reason to charge me that much. I'd pay that much for Radiohead, but that band wouldn't do it. Oh, and the super deluxe version DVDs with very little added value. Then again, I'm not poor. However, it would be cool for U2 to highlight the issue again. I don't think rich people need be ashamed to highlight the problem. U2's too busy kissing ass to the very politicians that have made exploitation easier and poverty greater -- people like Bill Clinton.

U2 was really cool, though.

However, it would be cool for U2 to highlight the issue again. I don't think rich people need be ashamed to highlight the problem.
I have come to accept that you really just post a lot of nonsense
and that I could report you for trolling a couple dozen times because you really only come into U2 related threads to whine& moan, but I guess there's little moderators can do about it anyway

anyhow, I'll pretend for a second that you're being sincere here (i guess that joke is on me) and have to ask you whether you really feel that U2/Bono nowadays isn't prolific enough when it comes to non music related issues?

I'm gonna guess there are going to be more people who would tell Bono to shut his face if he'd start a speech on the current financial crisis than that there would be people who'd applaud him
I would also guess that (funny enough) you and Fguy would be among the ones telling him to shut up

That is exactly what a co-worker of my son paid for her ticket. $250. Her husband thinks she is crazy and she will be going to the concert alone.

Here, here.
I think U2 has changed. They talk about loving the fans, but it's really about fleecing us. Even if I'm willing to pay $250 for a ticket, that's no reason to charge me that much. I'd pay that much for Radiohead, but that band wouldn't do it. Oh, and the super deluxe version DVDs with very little added value. Then again, I'm not poor. However, it would be cool for U2 to highlight the issue again. I don't think rich people need be ashamed to highlight the problem. U2's too busy kissing ass to the very politicians that have made exploitation easier and poverty greater -- people like Bill Clinton.

U2 was really cool, though.

Gee, you don't say... !

Back
Top Bottom