What did you think when you first heard Actung Baby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think he meant it in a "I'm the biggest fan and everyone else is a loser turkey," I think he was just expressing that the album made him into a huge fan.

:)

True stories:

• My nephew, whom I turned into a U2 fan, but who approached U2 through an appreciation of metal bands like Metallica, which I never really understood—threw his copy of AB in a dumpster.

• My best friend at the time, who was a snotty indy-music fan, suddenly HATED U2 because of all the "ROCK STAR" pictures with hot women on the streets of Berlin found in the liner notes. Despite all of my attempts to get him to embrace the irony and reinvention, he refused. Years later, he admitted that I was right all along and now considers it his favorite album.

• My introduction to the album was hearing The Fly on MTV. I thought, my God, there's no way this will be played on the radio. I was right. My first thought upon hearing the album was that my speakers were broken. But ultimately, like Bono said once, it was all a con. They really hadn't changed much at all.

I LOVE the fact that this album generated so much rebellion, controversy and anger. I'm hoping the next U2 album does the same thing.

In college, I knew a guy who hated U2. Just hated them. He was one of those college music snobs who said stuff like "They sold out after 1983." (I had a serious crush on him despite this, but that's just your boring 'unrequited college crush' story.)

Anyway! He was the music director at our teeny-tiny college radio station (seriously, it was like 10 watts or something), and he got a promo copy of The Fly single. (He even went so douchebaggily far as to ban all post-1983 U2 from the station. I played whatever U2 I wanted just to spite him.)

He played The Fly for all his music snob friends and said "You will NEVER guess who this is." No one believed him when he told them it was U2.

He still hated them, but I always liked that they took even a hater by surprise. :wink:

He dogs me on Facebook occasionally by making a snide comment about Bono or U2, and I respond by telling him his little girl (who apparently likes all the hipster indie music he plays) is going to rebel as a teen by blaring U2 at all hours of the day, just to piss him off. :lol:

In college, I knew a guy who hated U2. Just hated them. He was one of those college music snobs who said stuff like "They sold out after 1983." (I had a serious crush on him despite this, but that's just your boring 'unrequited college crush' story.)

Anyway! He was the music director at our teeny-tiny college radio station (seriously, it was like 10 watts or something), and he got a promo copy of The Fly single. (He even went so douchebaggily far as to ban all post-1983 U2 from the station. I played whatever U2 I wanted just to spite him.)

He played The Fly for all his music snob friends and said "You will NEVER guess who this is." No one believed him when he told them it was U2.

He still hated them, but I always liked that they took even a hater by surprise. :wink:

He dogs me on Facebook occasionally by making a snide comment about Bono or U2, and I respond by telling him his little girl (who apparently likes all the hipster indie music he plays) is going to rebel as a teen by blaring U2 at all hours of the day, just to piss him off. :lol:

Shouter has a kid????

I honestly don't remember how much I heard it on the radio. I think I heard Mysterious Ways more, but .... yeah. Just don't remember. So long ago!

I remember that was right around the time when the commercial "alternative" stations were popping up more, and Milwaukee had one or two, so I'm sure I heard it.

Did the Fly not get much radio play in the US?

Very little. You could hear it occasionally on more progressive formats, but it got almost no play on top 40 formats.

But I'm sure that's exactly what U2 wanted for their first single. This was a record they wanted to absolutely annihilate people's expectations. The Fly was perfect for that.

And to this day, it's one of a handful of U2 songs that I just never get tired of hearing.

The Fly got very little airplay and actually had a very short run on MTV as well. It's why Mysterious Ways was released only a month after The Fly and slightly before the album was in stores.

There's a lot of revisionist history about AB and this time period of U2, but they were still VERY strategic about the releasing of this album.

Gotcha. I'd just noticed a few people from the US suggesting that it wasn't such a big song there. And yeah, it was definitely a statement single, not an impact single. They would never have expected it to be 'the big one'.

I don't remember which song I first heard on the radio - if I heard one at all. In 91/92 I was living in western Kentucky & was just thrilled that I could pick up a Evansville, IN rock station so I didn't have endure getting my ears raped every day by the local country music stations. :huh:

Anyway, what I do remember is that Kelly arrived home at our little apartment one afternoon, shortly after I'd gotten home from work, and with great satisfaction presented me with the CD that he'd just run out & bought for me - Achtung Baby. First I kissed my wonderful husband, then I ripped into the CD wrapper & sprinted for our stereo system, heart racing. The following hour went something like this:

:hyper: :ohmy: :shocked: :confused: :hmm: :yes: :love: :applaud: :heart:

The internet came along within in a few years & completely obliterated the information vacuum that most of us used to live in, so no album since AB has held quite the surprise that album did - but that's one reason AB is still one of my fave U2 albums. It was so radically different and unexpected & helps me remember that there are times when not being so informed can be a good thing. :up:

I was hooked on this album as soon as it started! I was expecting something a LOT weirder than what I got. It didn't hurt that I watched Zoo TV Live From Sydney right after listening. Everything clicked, I guess. For the longest time I would say my favorite album was The Joshua Tree or Achtung, it changed from day to day. Now there;s no question- Achtung Baby is the best U2 album of all! I also love Zooropa.

Back
Top Bottom