Well, this must be embarrassing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Weird that that article doesn't say the name of the book (?) -- or, maybe they don't want to? Anyway, it's called The Frontman: Bono (in the Name of Power), by Harry Browne.

This is how it's described on Amazon (from, presumably, the sleeve of the book):

Scathing and hilarious takedown of a frontman for the rich and powerful

Celebrity philanthropy comes in many guises, but no single figure better encapsulates its delusions, pretensions and wrongheadedness than U2’s iconic frontman, Bono—a fact neither sunglasses nor leather pants can hide. More than a mere philanthropist—indeed, he is said to lag behind some peers when it comes to parting with his own money—Bono is better described as an advocate, one who has become an unwitting symbol of a complacent wealthy Western elite.

The Frontman shows how Bono defended U2's partial move to Amsterdam, avoiding Irish taxes; his paternalistic advocacy of neoliberal solutions in Africa; his multinational business interests; and his hobnobbing with Paul Wolfowitz and shock-doctrine economist Jeffrey Sachs. Carefully dissecting the rhetoric and actions of Bono the political operator, The Frontman argues that he is an ambassador for imperial exploitation, a man who has turned his attention to a world of savage injustice, inequality and exploitation—and helped make it worse.

Pretty bad investment I can tell.

I pity the writer and the publisher. Creativity doesn't always translate to instant cash in hand.

Lifelong Bono friend Gavin Friday has said the author of a critical book about the U2 star could "f*** off".

In the strongest outburst by a friend of the U2 singer yet, Friday (53) accused author Harry Browne of "trying to make money out of bulls***".

:up:

Ironically, I suspect we have that book to thank for Bono's recent run of interviews (before he knew it would flop of course).

Lifelong Bono friend Gavin Friday has said the author of a critical book about the U2 star could "f*** off".
In the strongest outburst by a friend of the U2 singer yet, Friday (53) accused author Harry Browne of "trying to make money out of bulls***".

Good ole' Gavin.

I assume Ian McCulloch alone is responsible for about half this book's global sales.

Well...

At the very least, this proves that the Bono haters aren't too concerned about educating themselves on the subject...

Not that this book seems to offer up much in that department anyway :down:

indeed, he is said to lag behind some peers when it comes to parting with his own money

This one statement alone is enough for me to know the books is nothing but BS.

I've read many stories about how Bono always has little money on him as he tends to just give it away to people on the street. Anyone that generous to random strangers is probably even more generous in his private life (for example, I believe Bono personally paid for the little bus tour he did to support Jubilee). Furthermore, U2 have donated multiple songs to charity - such as "One" and "The Sweetest Thing" - and have performed on countless charity functions. Every show has information about charities.

So unless this "writer" has actual tax returns from Bono and Ali, I highly doubt any of his sources. The fact that the book isn't selling indicates that not only do people not care, but they are onto this guy. They know that he's just trying to get his 15 minutes of fame by latching onto Bono. I'm glad to see it's not working.

All of the proceeds from the sale of the single "One" went to AIDS research, and all of the proceeds from the sale of the single "The Sweetest Thing" went to Children of Chernobyl - Ali's charity of choice, since the song was written for her.

I hope I got that right.

Browne claimed he self-published it at his talk in Rough Trade last month that I attended. I'm not sure how that works with having Verso listed as the publisher in the book, mind. Self-published by a publisher isn't the usual definition of self-published.

Said Browne "this will probably be a net loss for me", ya think? :lol:

Wow, it must be really important to him to get the word out about how evil he thinks Bono is if he's willing to take a loss on something he devoted so much time and energy to.

Man, talk about a guy that needs something REAL to worry about.

All of the proceeds from the sale of the single "One" went to AIDS research, and all of the proceeds from the sale of the single "The Sweetest Thing" went to Children of Chernobyl - Ali's charity of choice, since the song was written for her.

I hope I got that right.

Yes, that is right and thank you for clarifying. I just figured it was well known, which is why I didn't state more, but that assumption is clearly not correct. Thanks for helping! :applaud:

I haven't read the book and don't have an opinion on it, but here's an excerpt from an editorial about celebrity humanitarianism in which the author discusses this book:

Browne knows music, politics and economics; you leave the book feeling you understand better why you were uncomfortable with Bono’s activism — or I did. His critique isn’t simplistic and he doesn’t speculate on motives. His point is that Bono has done some good, but more harm. In Africa he won some poverty aid but in the process “reinforced” the model of the West as hero — himself, his pals Bill Gates and superstar economist Jeffrey Sachs — with Africa as victim. He never (or rarely) addressed the power imbalances at the root of African poverty. At the 2005 G8 summit in the U.K., he and sidekick (Sir) Bob Geldof got some minimal Third World debt reduction but, again, problematic structural elements like neo-liberalism, privatization and deregulation weren’t just ignored but endorsed. His RED campaign, to set aside profits from high-end products to reduce HIV/AIDS in Africa, promoted the very consumerism that results from a wealth imbalance between countries without ever suggesting it also embodies the problem. He got very qualified AIDS support from George Bush but Bush got Bono’s effective endorsement for his war in Iraq. This is quite different from individuals raising money for charitable causes. It involves political quid pro quos that imply excuses and justifications for particular policies in return for some cash. If you play the game at that level, you better know what’s at stake.

Browne isn’t mingy. He assiduously gives Bono credit where it’s due, so his occasional outbursts of disgust feel more like irresistible impulse (guilty with an explanation) than cheap shots. That increases his persuasiveness.

Re. Canadian content: I was at the 2003 Liberal convention where Paul Martin ascended to leader. Bono came to hail him and say, “The world needs more Canada.” He also promised that if Martin let him down, he’d kick his butt. At the 2005 summit, when Martin did renege on a pledge, Bono said he’d keep his word, although “it’s a very nice butt, as prime ministers go.” What an odd thing to say. As if Bono’s aware of his impulse to ass-kissing in the halls of power.
The limits of celebrity humanitarianism: Salutin | Toronto Star

I remember when Bono said he'd kick PM Martin's ass if let down, and he never did anything of the sort. Also, Martin was an odd ally to pick given the damage he did the the poor (and middle class) of Canada. In fact, we're still feeling the effects.

The article says he did. So, it must be true.

Bono supports the war in Iraq.

Totally.

Salutin wrote "He got very qualified AIDS support from George Bush but Bush got Bono’s effective endorsement for his war in Iraq."

I think the line of reasoning is like this:

Bono hung with Bush for years while the war was being planned and executed.

Bono never criticized the war once while hanging out with this man.

Therefore one can infer that Bono was not against the war.

Which is why he uses the phrase "effective endorsement." When you hang around with criminals while they're committing a crime it's fair to assume that the hanger-on supports it, or at least isn't against it.

He's still never spoken about. Compare that to his post-American 9-11 (as opposed to the Chilean 9-11) behaviour.

With their track record on wars/conflict, one can infer no member of U2 supported the Iraq war.

He has, in fact, critisized Blair on that very topic.

I don't think he supported. But i don't remember him being against it.

He never out and out condemned it. But you can read between the lines very clearly in U2 By U2, where he says that the administration knew very clearly where he stood, but it wasn't going to get in the way of his goal of aid in Africa.

I think the line of reasoning is...

Completely unreasonable. In fact, all of it is pretty irrational, unrealistic and in the end, essentially just ideological extremism. Typical anti-intellectual tripe from the Far Left that has no association with how the real world works.
Not just the Iraq thing. All of those criticisms are of the same variety.

It's about understanding how politics but specifically how U.S. politics work. Even Barack Obama (the naive patron saint of Leftists, initially) didn't fully understand it until he got a baptism by fire in '09.

Bono understood, at least as far as the idea of actually getting things done, the true nature of American politics better than Obama did when he was running for President. (His idealistic naivety is effectively why I supported HRC in '08, but I digress...) You literally can't do anything without playing the "game". PERIOD. That "game" IS the government. All the while ideological fools would rather nothing get done and be able to criticize from the cheap seats while doing absolutely nothing in terms of effectuating real reform. Real world vs idealism. Ideologues, Right or Left, never grow up. Their growth has been stunted by the very political prism they want to rebel against.

That system works and is unchangeable because it relies on the strategy and politics of manipulating ideologues. Wedge issues. This is BASIC stuff. But those on the Far Left somehow think they are above it? Hilarious. They are half of the reason why the shit works so well.

I'll say no more about this in EYKIW. If the discussion moves to FYM, I'll engage again. Otherwise, even though I am far from a Bono apologist or sycophant, fuck this nonsense. It's the very thing that keeps us down.

Completely unreasonable. In fact, all of it is pretty irrational, unrealistic and in the end, essentially just ideological extremism. Typical anti-intellectual tripe from the Far Left that has no association with how the real world works.
Not just the Iraq thing. All of those criticisms are of the same variety.

It's about understanding how politics but specifically how U.S. politics work. Even Barack Obama (the naive patron saint of Leftists, initially) didn't fully understand it until he got a baptism by fire in '09.

Bono understood, at least as far as the idea of actually getting things done, the true nature of American politics better than Obama did when he was running for President. (His idealistic naivety is effectively why I supported HRC in '08, but I digress...) You literally can't do anything without playing the "game". PERIOD. That "game" IS the government. All the while ideological fools would rather nothing get done and be able to criticize from the cheap seats while doing absolutely nothing in terms of effectuating real reform. Real world vs idealism. Ideologues, Right or Left, never grow up. Their growth has been stunted by the very political prism they want to rebel against.

That system works and is unchangeable because it relies on the strategy and politics of manipulating ideologues. Wedge issues. This is BASIC stuff. But those on the Far Left somehow think they are above it? Hilarious. They are half of the reason why the shit works so well.

I'll say no more about this in EYKIW. If the discussion moves to FYM, I'll engage again. Otherwise, even though I am far from a Bono apologist or sycophant, fuck this nonsense. It's the very thing that keeps us down.

Hear, hear!

Back
Top Bottom