Weird U2 songs to hear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miss Milly

The Fly
Just wondering if anyone else has had the following experience:

Today I was wondering around the supermarket (here in Melbourne) and I hear Bono's voice. I'm like "Yay, U2 music" but it was only when I paid attention that I realised it was "Man and Woman", which had me stop for a second. Because it is hardly a U2 hit (or at least for me it doesn't really qualify) and I wasn't expecting it to be chosen to be played in a supermarket.

Similarly not long before I'd been at the greengrocers only to hear "All Along the Watchtower" a la U2 blare over the speakers (I've heard the Hendrix version play everywhere). When paying I told the lady on the check-out that whoever chooses the music has good taste.

Usually if a U2 song is playing in a store it's 'Elevation' or 'Vertigo' or 'SHFWILF' or any other hit.

Anyone else ever hear "obscure" U2 (to a majority of people) play? Or am I just being too narrow in my thinking? :reject:

I don't believe I've ever heard a U2 song in a supermarket... :hmm:
but all you can hear on the radio in my country are "big songs" like One, Streets, Pride, etc. I have nothign agains them, but it sort of bugs me that people claim they know U2's music based on those songs and then they're surprised when they hear Bullet the Blue Sky...

EDIT: wow, am I off topic or what? sorry, MissMilly... :reject:

I've heard the Night and Day cover in groceries a few times before, and Everlasting Love is played all the time on Adelaide radio, I think I've heard it in Melbourne too come to think of it! I'm sure there are some others too, but those two have been on numerous occasions.

And is that a younger Paul McDermott in your avatar?

Just yesterday, I heard Electrical Storm at work. It was the third U2 song they played in a span of eight hours :lol:

I've heard Running To Stand Still at our local water park, too.

Everlasting Love is played loads.. but the weirdest experience I ever had was walking in Amsterdam, I passed a random store.. I heard the final notes from ACROBAT! That made me stop right away, my mother eyeing me wtf are you doing! :lol:

Then LIB started so I figure they were playing AB. :up: I don't remember what store it was though, would've been nice to go back.

I was stopped dead in my tracks when I realized my local supermarket was playing Moment of Surrender. I went in a few days later and they were playing I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight. :wave:

Deb

I hear U2 in the grocery store (a large chain) all the time, almost every time I go in now that I think about it :hmm: usually they are the popular songs, but sometimes not so much so.

^ I sing! Even though I really, really can't :lol:

One time I was in a dressing room, and All Because of You came on. I sang, and when I came out, some woman gave me a funny look.

I've heard Everlasting Love in a supermarket before :D i was so happy

Slightly off topic on a recent trip to Ireland i was so happy to hear U2 being played and then the they skipped to the next track after about 30secs :sad: They did however play With or Without you when you got on and off the plane :D

Today I was wondering around the supermarket (here in Melbourne) and I hear Bono's voice. I'm like "Yay, U2 music" but it was only when I paid attention that I realised it was "Man and Woman", which had me stop for a second. Because it is hardly a U2 hit (or at least for me it doesn't really qualify) and I wasn't expecting it to be chosen to be played in a supermarket.

Okay, that's weird. This past week I was in a Whataburger :reject: and they were playing "A Man and a Woman" :huh:

I have started to really like my local Randall's (a supermarket associated with Safeway). About a week ago, I walk in, and they are playing Real Thing. I walked in again this morning to hear the MJB version of One (I know it sucks, but at least it still has Bono's lyrics) followed immediately by Desire. I wondered if they were playing a U2 marathon at Randall's... or else it might have been an accident, and the computers that stop the same artist from playing two songs in a row detected "U2 and MJB" as a different artist than "U2".

Speaking of the MJB version of One... why do all covers of that song say "love is a temple, love is a higher law" instead of "love is a temple, love the higher law"? It bugs the heck out of me.

I work at Swiss Chalet in toronto, and last week I heard "Moment of Surrender". I've also heard Crumbs and Original of the Species before, as well as Walk On, IGCIIDGCT, and the other mainstream hits.

I hear them sometimes in restaurants, especially the new stuff like CT and MOS

Ok so it's not just me then!! :D

I like it when the less mainstream songs make it onto a playlist somewhere, but I had found it odd that within such a short space of time I was hearing a couple.

And yes my avatar is the young Mr. Paul McDermott :sexywink:

And now that I think about it Everlasting Love does get played a bit!

Bonocomet: I think you're right about the U2/grocery store link. Maybe U2 songs playing make shoppers buy more??

Melbourne supermarkets seem to have a thing for unexpected U2 songs. One day I caught them playing Staring At The Sun - the only time I have EVER heard a Pop song being played in public. I lived in Queensland when Pop came out, and radio completely ignored it in favour of playing things like New Year's Day and When Love Comes To Town.

And yeah, I've heard Everlasting Love - in that ANZ Bank on the corner of Elizabeth/LaTrobe! That was a bit unexpected.

And now that I think about it Everlasting Love does get played a bit!

Bonocomet: I think you're right about the U2/grocery store link. Maybe U2 songs playing make shoppers buy more??

It usually makes me hang out longer than necessary in the aisle directly under a speaker anyways! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom