Weird U2 songs to hear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did Pop flop in NZ or something? I just ask because "Staring at the Sun" was unavoidable on mainstream Canadian radio in 1997. In fact, my teenybopper younger friends at the time (16 yrs old) were really into it... The Pop videos all got heavy rotation on MuchMusic (Canadian music TV).

It's amazing that "Everlasting Love" took on a life of its own and became a hit down yonder. I'd fall over if I heard that on radio in North America...

I haven't listened to mainstream radio at home for about twenty years, but while I'm "out and about" (as we say) in Canada, the most unavoidable song is definitely "Still Haven't Found What i'm Looking For", which they seem to program about 18 times a day on easy-listening radio stations.

I haven't heard any deep cuts in a supermarket. But the radio station I listen to in NY, 101.9, often plays deep U2 cuts, like Red Hill Mining Town, One Tree Hill, and the Wide Awake version of Bad.

Did Pop flop in NZ or something? I just ask because "Staring at the Sun" was unavoidable on mainstream Canadian radio in 1997. In fact, my teenybopper younger friends at the time (16 yrs old) were really into it... The Pop videos all got heavy rotation on MuchMusic (Canadian music TV).

I don't think Pop flopped quite as hard as it did in the US, but the poor attendance at some of the Australian Popmart gigs really speaks for itself. I moved from New Zealand to Australia a few months after Pop came out, and I've never heard a single Pop song on the radio in either country. Maybe just sheer bad luck on my behalf, but in the late 1990s, the "modern" stations and those that promoted themselves as playing "hits of the nineties and eighties" couldn't get enough of the U2 hits up to and including the Achtung singles, then Sweetest Thing was all over the airwaves when it came out.

It's amazing that "Everlasting Love" took on a life of its own and became a hit down yonder. I'd fall over if I heard that on radio in North America...

I haven't listened to mainstream radio at home for about twenty years, but while I'm "out and about" (as we say) in Canada, the most unavoidable song is definitely "Still Haven't Found What i'm Looking For", which they seem to program about 18 times a day on easy-listening radio stations.

If I remember correctly, Everlasting Love outdid its a-side, AIWIY, on the Dutch charts. Certainly didn't do badly down here either and I hear it on the radio from time to time. I'm honestly surprised U2 have never done it live, not even as a snippet.

And ISHFWILF is pretty popular here, along with Pride and WOWY. It was still a bit odd when I heard WOWY on the bus one day, though ...

Axver: Once had a driver change to another station when 'Everlasting Love' came on in the bus. From the moment I saw him I knew he wasn't a U2 fan and that just confirmed it ... :lol:

Been thinking of other out-there songs that I've heard and I recall 'Staring at the Sun' also. Played in a Coles. A while back.

Moving slightly off topic: Any fellow Aussies hear Magnificent yet on the radio or anywhere? I've heard GOYB but not Magnificent...

If I remember correctly, Everlasting Love outdid its a-side, AIWIY, on the Dutch charts

That`s right , by the time Love Town was coming to Holland , Everlasting Love was played quite a lot on the radio.
And when someone was looking for the single in the musicstore , they got confused when the sales-people gave them the All I Want Is You single:lol:

Wayyyy back I once heard Lemon at the supermarket , maybe the Lemons were on-sale?

Cheers ,

Mauwer

If I remember correctly, Everlasting Love outdid its a-side, AIWIY, on the Dutch charts. .
Yup, and it still does every year. The end of the year top 2000 songs chart ALWAYS has Everlasting Love on it, and AIWIY is on it but much lower(as in higher in number) in the ranks. It's really strange. :lol:

In 2005 I heard Unforgettable Fire on the radio in N Ireland. Hardly a U2 obscurity, but it was great to hear it on the radio nonetheless.

Been thinking of other out-there songs that I've heard and I recall 'Staring at the Sun' also. Played in a Coles. A while back.

Moving slightly off topic: Any fellow Aussies hear Magnificent yet on the radio or anywhere? I've heard GOYB but not Magnificent...

Yep, Coles was where I heard SATS. I guess it was part of their shop muzak for that particular time period? Can't quite recall when it was, maybe early this year or late last.

The only place I've heard Magnificent on the radio is, funnily enough, in Holland. But then the only time I ever hear Australian radio is when I'm on the bus or in somebody's car. I haven't personally turned on the radio since 2002.

Aussie radio doesn't really have much going for it so I'm not surprised that you aren't tuning in. GOYB I heard once on FOX. I've heard Triple M play a bit of U2 but nothing out of the ordinary just the regular servings. Don't know about any others, not big on the radio myself, good for background noise only.

Haven't heard any version of One for a while now anywhere, must be moving off people's radars at least in my area.

I've heard Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Pride, Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, All I Want is You, Everlasting Love, Sweetest Thing, One, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, ABOY and GOYB on our radio.

Streets I hear pretty goddam often.

Do you watch Good News Week?

oh, actually...i know the weirdest time and u2 song ever, personally. i heard the unforgettable fire on radio hauraki, which is a classic rock station. this station thrashes shit like ac/dc and led zeppelin, so to hear the unforgettable fire was a hell of a shock!

I've heard Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Pride, Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, All I Want is You, Everlasting Love, Sweetest Thing, One, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, ABOY and GOYB on our radio.

Do you watch Good News Week?

I guess then the stations do play it but I don't tune in enough to hear it. Though it is the fairly standard (i.e. well-known) songs that seem to get the air-play. But you haven't heard Magnificent on the radio either?

Love Good News Week. Especially when I get to see it at the Melb. comedy festival :D:D Can't get enough of GNW and Paul McDermott especially. Been watching it just now concurrently with using the comp. Multi-tasking :lol:

Kudos for the Fawlty Towers quote!! :applaud:

No never heard Magnificent, not that that bothers me as I'd race to change the station anyway.

:up::up: I love the Comedy festival, great time of year.

You have pretty good taste it seems!

I don't think I've ever even listened to Everlasting Love myself.

One radio station here in Austin also really likes to play RHMT, along with a few "deeper" cuts such TUF occasionally. I also caught F-BB on their logs once just after NLOTH leaked/was released to radio.

Aussie radio doesn't really have much going for it so I'm not surprised that you aren't tuning in. GOYB I heard once on FOX. I've heard Triple M play a bit of U2 but nothing out of the ordinary just the regular servings. Don't know about any others, not big on the radio myself, good for background noise only.

Haven't heard any version of One for a while now anywhere, must be moving off people's radars at least in my area.

I remember radio not being so bad in the late 1990s, but damn it took a severe turn for the worst at the turn of the century and now whenever somebody else is playing the radio, I have a hard time catching any music I like. Which is sad, since I think there is loads of great music being released right now.

I don't think I have EVER heard One on radio. I consider this a very good thing.

On radio in Wellington, Melbourne, and the Gold Coast, I've heard I Will Follow, SBS (both album and Red Rocks), NYD, Pride, Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY, One Tree Hill, Desire, Angel Of Harlem, WLCTT, AIWIY, Everlasting Love, EBTTRT, Mysterious Ways, WGRYWH, HMTMKMKM, Sweetest Thing, Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment, Elevation, Walk On, Electrical Storm, and Vertigo. Pretty sure I once caught Bad from WAIA, and I'd swear I once heard Dirty Day.

Wellington radio LOVED the Red Rocks version of SBS in the 1990s.

Good thing about being from New Zealand #17,217: you've half a chance of hearing One Tree Hill on the radio.

My weirdest random U2-song encounter was hearing a vaguely familiar bassline over the speakers in a big, multi-shop discount outlet... I stopped and listened, and it was Love Comes Tumbling.

WTF.

Beyond that, I hear things like Streets and AIWIY in supermarkets all the time... I also heard NLOTH walking past a shop in Mexico in March. And one of our radio stations here seems to LOVE the Red Rocks version of SBS, I don't think I've ever heard them play the studio version.

i don't listen to fm radio anymore, but the satellite radio station i listen to loves to play wgrywh. i hear it at least once a day, and i only listen to it when i'm in my car!

In my office building and in the elevator I've heard Crazy and older songs like ISHFWILF :cute:

OH right I forgot the weirdest thing I've heard on the radio. :D Discotheque, this year, twice in one week! And it wasn't the week U2 was in my country either!

And they seem to love Crazy Tonight. :D Still hear Magnificent too.

It's good to hear that there is some imagination being used by some people out there when it comes to choosing U2 music to put on for the general public.

I can't say I've ever heard Discotheque played anywhere outside of my CD or DVD. Hearing that in a supermarket would send me into a spend frenzy :D I'd happily buy everything!

:up::up: I love the Comedy festival, great time of year.

Personally I reckon Melbourne is at its best at Comedy Fest time! Only got 4 shows in this year, need more!!

You have pretty good taste it seems!

Merci beaucoup!!

Though clearly a difference of opinion on Magnificent front :D I quite like it. I'm mighty surprised though that Magnificent hasn't been heard around the place. Beats GOYB in my opinion.

Our local rock radio station down here usually plays SBS, MW, WTSHNN, WOWY, BD, and Desire.

But to my amazement I heard Some Days Are Better Than Others and When I Look At The World back-to-back at a RadioShack at our mall.

I don't think I've ever heard U2's version of that song on Irish radio. Irish radio are so predictable when playing U2. Like in most of the rest of the world, they just play the obvious hits like One, Angel of Harlem, Still Haven't Found or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom