We like Dad Rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen the term "Dad-rock" in use since at least 1996/97, when it was used in British music magazines to describe bands like Ocean Colour Scene. Basically, it was used to describe Britpop bands that were not greatly respected but exceptionally retro (as opposed to the just-as-retro but more respected Britpop bands).

So, to me, "classic rock" and Dad-rock are two totally different things.

I've seen the term "Dad-rock" in use since at least 1996/97, when it was used in British music magazines to describe bands like Ocean Colour Scene. Basically, it was used to describe Britpop bands that were not greatly respected but exceptionally retro (as opposed to the just-as-retro but more respected Britpop bands).

so funny you say that. I just finished this book last night:

http://www.amazon.com/Yeah-Story-Mo...qid=1419363727&sr=8-1&keywords=yeah+yeah+yeah

And the author talks about that being "dad rock". I was torn between laughing and throwing the book across the room.

Any genre that includes Led Zeppelin is one that I'm proud to be a fan of.

I have a theory about the complete lack of respect given to musicians who are actual musicians, ie. one's who play instruments: the disrespect they are given is a symptom of an anti-intellectual, neo-liberal society based on instant gratification. To be proficient at an instrument (or anything) is a sign that you think you're better than someone. Which isn't to denigrate those who use samplers (I make electronic music and play guitar), but most mainstream music relies on presets and everyone shares the same sounds, a trait that's indicative of laziness, a lack of imagination and talent, and a desire to conform above all else. Whatever one may say of "dad rock" artists, they are not trying to conform to anything which is the opposite of the assembly line pop acts that the poptimists attempt to validate by branding everything else as "dad rock."

1) No, it's got nothing to do with talent. Plenty of the hipsters that use the term "dad rock" are into very talented artists that write and create their own material and are excellent musicians.

2) I'm sick of the term "dumbing down of society" or saying people are "anti-intellectual"...the average IQ and level of education continues to go up across the country. It's the exact opposite.

3) Unless someone is being a d-bag and just writing off someone like U2 or Springsteen entirely, the term "dad rock" is more befitting of the boring later period stuff from those artists along with other bands they play on the generic Triple-A rock stations that cater to middle aged listeners.

A-dad-rock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom