Watched "ZOO TV" Sydney DVD last night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was a huge event in Sydney as well. Much moreso than when Popmart and Vertigo rolled into town, even though Vertigo was triple the size in terms of tickets sold (three shows in a new 80K stadium vs the two ZooTV shows in the old 40K stadium, or one Popmart show in the same smaller stadium). I remember, and did keep for a long time but have since lost, a big front page dominant story the day of the first show with snazzy graphics showing the stage set up and how it all worked in a technical sense, as well as other separate large features on the band and the ZooTV concept, big front page reviews of each show, and of course Adams big night on the town was news as well. It wasn’t forced hype or publicity, it was genuinely exciting, genuinely a big fucking deal at the time, more than just the big band in town this week.

I love this Dvd, i know people will call me insane but i think that the performance of Mysterious Ways from this DVD is the Best U2 live performance of a song ive ever seen. There is just something about the energy of it, especially the added falsetto verse he sings to the belly dancer.

I love this Dvd, i know people will call me insane but i think that the performance of Mysterious Ways from this DVD is the Best U2 live performance of a song ive ever seen. There is just something about the energy of it, especially the added falsetto verse he sings to the belly dancer.

You're not insane, just correct. ;)

:up::up::up: Yes, that added falsetto verse is astonishingly good, perhaps the highlight of the show. In fact his general vocal on MW is superb, right from the first falsetto snippet as the song gets going. In contrast to his subsequent renditions of the song, he doesn't sound cracked, doesn't ape a hip hop star (I can't stand it when he sings 'John take a walk wid your sister in da rain'), and uses his lower register well. Absolute perfection. I also think the performance of EBTTRT is top-notch.

=monsieur fly;6740895I also think the performance of EBTTRT is top-notch.
Really, I think the EBTTRT performance is pretty flat. Washington 16/08/1992 is miles better imo.

By the way, does anyone know for sure what he says at the beginning of MW, its like something....take your baby by the hand, i think. And the falsetto verse im a little shaky on the lyrics too...

By the way, does anyone know for sure what he says at the beginning of MW, its like something....take your baby by the hand, i think. And the falsetto verse im a little shaky on the lyrics too...

This is what I got from @U2.com.

"Oh, girl, change come 'round
Takes your baby by the hand
Johnny, what you gonna do
Takes your baby by the hand
Change comes, coming slow
Take your baby by the hand"

Sounds about right to me.

I STRONGLY believe that U2 should've released three separate ZOOTV DVD's- Live from Syndey (the Zooropa era), as well as one from the indoor leg and one from the Outside Broadcast leg.

I would've liked to see a DVD of ZOOTV live from MSG (from the first leg), a DVD of ZOOTV live from Toronto (from the Outside Broadcast leg).:applaud:

I STRONGLY believe that U2 should've released three separate ZOOTV DVD's- Live from Syndey (the Zooropa era), as well as one from the indoor leg and one from the Outside Broadcast leg.

I would've liked to see a DVD of ZOOTV live from MSG (from the first leg), a DVD of ZOOTV live from Toronto (from the Outside Broadcast leg).:applaud:

They should have released one from each leg... add Stockholm and Dublin to your list.

Back
Top Bottom