Was U2 the "most important band of your college years"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went to MacKillop College, but we referred to it as high school, never college.

bono_man2002 said:
fixed.

I'm known by my friends as the U2 guy. I quite like it though. For instance I was at a party not long ago when someone grown man of about 28 years of age was singing along to Vanessa Carlton's 1000 Miles asked me who my favourite band of all time was. He then proceeded to call my favourite band of all time "Gay" and rambled on about how crap they were. Nice one dude. :shrug:

Sounds like you met one of my mates.

I've never paid attention in other states, but in Queensland, the names of all state-run secondary schools was "high school", like Bumfuckville State High School, while all the private ones were "college", like Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen College (I fear this one probably exists somewhere). I don't know if that was intentional or if all the private places just thought "college" made them sound more important. In regular speech everybody just used "high school" for both.

When I moved to Australia, it took a little adjusting to not call high school "college".

Oh, you mean like in posh school names and stuff. Yeah sure, I get you then. Sorry, just the dumb country kid in me coming through here.

Definately, high school for me was The Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree. College for me was Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby. I was a U2 fan from War/UABRS to Unf. Fire, JT in 1987 put me into the diehard category. It was also when I first saw them live, so that had a lot to do with it as well. I wore out 3 cassette (I know, dating myself) copies of JT because I listened to it so much. I started college in 1988, despite the media backlash R & H was getting, I loved it at the time. Especially Hawkmoon and God Part II. I remember seeing the Streets R & H coming attractions in the theater at the time and it just gave me chills, just outstanding. Great times!

They were the most important to me as a child actually. I'm 26 so they were really at the beginning of their rise in popularity when I first started really listening to them as a little tike. If you saw me then singing along to the amnesty international tape, you would probably give me the title of #1 fan.

One of my favorite sayings as a kid according to my mother was "Bono doesn't say shut up", which she most likely taught me so I wouldnt say it. My parents divorced when I was 1, so in a way, I guess Bono was a father figure out doing what he had to do on stage which I loved (if you want to get into psychology).

I also held the vinyl record of Under A Blood Red Sky a few times while I was one of those scared little kids of getting their hair cut. Dunno what it was but I always had a strong connection to this band as I write on this board many years later.

My college years were 2000 - 05...which coincided with AttyClub and Hutub (my two least favorite U2 albums.) Thanks a bunch, U2! You had to pick my decadent years to have your major musical insecurity/ mid-life crisis!

U2 were definitely a college band for me. I got into them on my own during the end of my senior year of high school and saw them play as a high school graduation present (popmart). The next year I fell in love with the group and by November of 1997, I had a tape or cd of every major album (mostly used). That was 15 years ago and they are still in my top 2.

Pretty much yes:

War Tour: June 06, 1983: Boulder, CO at University of Colorado -- 2 weeks after high school ended, Bono walks out and sings 'bring in the clowns' not 15 feet from us.

UF Tour: March 17, 1985: Denver, CO at McNichols Sports Arena - St. Paddy's Day, junior year college.

Roughly March 1987, JT released senior year college then October 26 JT Kansas City tour stop followed by November 7/ 8 JT tour stops where parts of Rattle N Hum were filmed.

I'm an alphabet group person -- toss in REM and INXS -- these 3 dominated my life from late high school through college.

PS - -INXS also put on an amazing Red Rocks show in the rain the summer of 1986 supporting Listen Like Thieves -- wonder where INXS would be if Hutch were still with us.

not anymore, college between 98-02, so no U2 was not number 1 anymore, but for my high school year maybe still 1 or 2.... 94-98..... but Nirvana was prob 1, at least in the beginning. U2 was number 1 for sure between 87-93, but in competition with The Cure, which had many more fans dressed in black...... we could see them more clearly than U2 fans..... since I was both, it did not matter to me.

Yes, U2 were the most important band in my college years. AB came out in my freshman year. I remember my friends and I playing Sonic on Sega Genesis while listening to AB over and over again. Pearl Jam is probably in there as a close second. I was fortunate to have been in college when a number of great bands were putting out albums at roughly the same time.

Agree with Prick. The early 90s kind of seems ten-thousand light years away now, but it was a good time for popular music. It all seems unfashionable today, but the music scene was about a million times better than today.

Of course, there are always a lot of really good and really crap artists at any given time, but somehow it seems more exciting and relevant to life when the good artists actually get hugely popular.

Back
Top Bottom