War longbox CD...help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leamspaceman

The Fly
I have a longbox CD import of War. I bought it many years ago as an import from a HMV store here in the UK. It was all sealed when I bought it. It has a 'window' in the box so that you can see the CD cover/jewel case inside. The CD case fits into a plastic tray that slides into the box.

I just sold it for £35 but the buyer is now saying they don't want it. The reason is they are saying that War longboxes never came with a window in the box. They are saying I cut it out myself which is ludicrous.

Searching on Google I can only find War longboxes that don't have a window. Can anyone help me identify this edition that I have? I always assumed it was a US release but I could be wrong?

It's this one but the bottom half of the front cover has a square window cut out of it so that you can see the CD inside:

thm_war-longbox2.jpg

thm_war-longbox2b.jpg

Thanks if you can help?

Hey, that's pretty cool. I'll take it for 35 quid if this idiot buyer doesn't want it.

You've got something there. I think you should hang onto it.

Thanks.

Yep...mine is like the above but as I said...the bottom of the front cover has a window cut-out so you can see the CD inside. I cannot find any images of my version, only the one above without the window.

I really just want to be able to tell this person that they can have a refund and that I just found out it's worth £500. They are getting their 'info' from a longbox collector apparently?

I started buying U2 CDs in 1987 when I got my first CD player, and I seem to remember both the Boy and War long boxes having the window you describe. I distinctly remember picking up both of these at a mall shop called Tape World (Ha!). I sure wish I had hung onto them.

Thanks.

Yep...mine is like the above but as I said...the bottom of the front cover has a window cut-out so you can see the CD inside. I cannot find any images of my version, only the one above without the window.

No, check out the pictures here...it's the same one you have, clearly shows the CD cutout, and sold for over 300 quid.

Yours have a square cut out on the front or a circular cut out on the back like the one sold for 300gbp on e ay?

You're all getting confused here.

'Nick66'...the one you've linked to isn't the same as mine. Mine has a square cut-out on the FRONT of the box...the bottom half. You can see the cover of the CD through it. The BACK of the box has no cut-out.

'OpenG180'...the BACK of the box has no cut-out. The image of a CD that you see is printed onto the box, it isn't a 'real' CD.

I'm going to try and get a picture up.

Pictures:

$(KGrHqJ,!iYFDeo,KR-6BRI9fLI73g~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqJ,!rgFDq-J6rrJBRI9fQiMO!~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16R,!zcE9s4g3IoPBRI9fV8ou!~~60_14.JPG

:up:

I was selling it as part of my collection that I have for sale here:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f190/selling-my-u2-collection-215184.html

I've refunded the buyer who wanted it originally, then said they didn't. I think they realised its worth because they changed their mind again and said they DID want it :doh:

I'm done with them anyway.

I found this site that lists every version of WAR released in all countries and my version isn't even listed:ohmy:

U2 Albums - War

Pictures:

:up:

I was selling it as part of my collection that I have for sale here:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f190/selling-my-u2-collection-215184.html

I've refunded the buyer who wanted it originally, then said they didn't. I think they realised its worth because they changed their mind again and said they DID want it :doh:

I'm done with them anyway.

I found this site that lists every version of WAR released in all countries and my version isn't even listed:ohmy:

U2 Albums - War

I've never seen this. Probably a variation of the regular edition. It's probably from 1986-87 and most ppl at that time threw away the long box. It is rare indeed.

I've never seen this. Probably a variation of the regular edition. It's probably from 1986-87 and most ppl at that time threw away the long box. It is rare indeed.

Thank you for that. Wow...it's 27 years old. I've got some friends who are younger! Good condition for it's age.

The person who bought it for £35 said they didn't want it because I had cut the 'window' in the box myself!!! Glad they didn't buy it now as it's listed elsewhere and seems to have lots of interest.

Hey guys.

I've got this longbox up for sale but am getting quite a few people asking me if the square window has been cut out by me with a knife!!! One guy, quite rudely in fact, accused me directly of selling a fake! He said this was backed-up by the fact that it wasn't still in its shrink wrap and because of the green 'import' sticker on the back. I was sixteen when I bought this. I didn't even have a CD player. I just wanted to open it and take a look. The import sticker was stuck to the shrink wrap but I removed it carefully and stuck it to the box. I bought it from a UK HMV store...not a likely source of a fake item.

I could not have envisaged back then how much this would be worth now. Neither did anyone else obviously as they threw the boxes away...paradoxically making mine so rare now.

I've got lots of U2 imports that have the green import sticker on them (all imports in the UK did back then), so why would someone think that's what 'proves' it is fake?

Also, the regular longbox without the window has the words 'Compact Disc' in white in the top left corner on the front. Mine doesn't, proving that it is a different edition. If I'd just cut a window out of a regular longbox those words would still be present.

I've put wording in the description highlighting all of the above and I have lots of interest. Because this version doesn't show-up anywhere else, how can I prove the authenticity? I wouldn't risk my reputation as a seller by selling a fake.

Any thoughts?

Perhaps contact U2wanderer and ask what they know? That site usually has every edition of U2's releases up. So maybe htey have connections to figure this one out?

Hey guys.

I've got this longbox up for sale but am getting quite a few people asking me if the square window has been cut out by me with a knife!!! One guy, quite rudely in fact, accused me directly of selling a fake! He said this was backed-up by the fact that it wasn't still in its shrink wrap and because of the green 'import' sticker on the back. I was sixteen when I bought this. I didn't even have a CD player. I just wanted to open it and take a look. The import sticker was stuck to the shrink wrap but I removed it carefully and stuck it to the box. I bought it from a UK HMV store...not a likely source of a fake item.

I could not have envisaged back then how much this would be worth now. Neither did anyone else obviously as they threw the boxes away...paradoxically making mine so rare now.

I've got lots of U2 imports that have the green import sticker on them (all imports in the UK did back then), so why would someone think that's what 'proves' it is fake?

Also, the regular longbox without the window has the words 'Compact Disc' in white in the top left corner on the front. Mine doesn't, proving that it is a different edition. If I'd just cut a window out of a regular longbox those words would still be present.

I've put wording in the description highlighting all of the above and I have lots of interest. Because this version doesn't show-up anywhere else, how can I prove the authenticity? I wouldn't risk my reputation as a seller by selkibg a fake.

Any thoughts?

I'm curious...was it in the cellophane when you bought it? This is quite a curiosity/rarity you've got there, and it's unusual that there's no record of it anywhere. I'm wondering if perhaps the cut out was done by someone along the line post-packaging, but prior to your purchase. Or maybe it was some kind of HMV exclusive, which to me seems increasingly likely.

If you had bought it from a CD club it would make more sense, as they often did their own packaging, pressing and in some cases even had their own masters. HMV had quite a bit of clout back then, and I believe were the biggest music seller in the UK at the time, and it would not be unusual, or unprecedented, to have CD's packaged exclusively for them to suit their needs.

No matter what, it's definitely an extremely rare piece of U2 memorabilia, and unless you really need the money I'd consider holding onto it until you have a better grasp of exactly what you have.

Hey guys.

I've put wording in the description highlighting all of the above.

Any thoughts?

The green sticker only proves it's.. an import! No big deal about that.

Ppl did not fake those long box. In fact, they were unwanted. They were clumsy and unpractical and the environmentalists hated them. Achtung Baby's 1st edition digipak was the industry's first response against "wasting paper" on longboxes.

I'm pretty sure yours is an alternate edition of the regular longbox. Perhaps a HMV unique edition.

Can you tell the upc, matrix and any other identification numbers that are on the longbox?

Thanks for the fast replies.

Yes, it was fully sealed in shrink-wrapped cellophane when I bought it from HMV. It cannot be a regular longbox that was tampered with on the production line as it is not the regular longbox edition. It doesn't have the 'Compact Disc' wording in the top left.

The numbering on it is 90067-2.

The barcode number is 7567-90067-2.

The number on the import sticker is A 250 210.

I had a look over at 'U2 Wanderer' and they don't even have longboxes featured on their site. The 'War' section has none listed and from looking through their site briefly it's not what I'd call 'exhaustive.'

If my version had the 'Compact Disc' wording on it I could understand why people may think I've cut the window from the regular box. But it doesn't have this wording?

Yes, it was fully sealed in shrink-wrapped cellophane when I bought it from HMV. It cannot be a regular longbox that was tampered with on the production line as it is not the regular longbox edition. It doesn't have the 'Compact Disc' wording in the top left.

I had a look over at 'U2 Wanderer' and the don't even have longboxes featured on their site. The 'War' section has none listed and from looking through their site briefly it's now what I'd call 'exhaustive.'

If my version had the 'Compact Disc' wording on it I could understand why people may think I've cut the window from the regular box. But it doesn't have this wording?

I'll check those numbers. But i can say b4 checking them that it was probably released in 1987 as part of the reissues around the time of release of The Joshua Tree. The regular longboxes without that cutout are from 1985.

I had a look over at 'U2 Wanderer' and they don't even have longboxes featured on their site. The 'War' section has none listed and from looking through their site briefly it's not what I'd call 'exhaustive.'

Another thing, is this made in germany or usa?

Hmmmm. The "Compact Disc" logo is nowhere to be found on the box? That would be unusual. What about the jewel case itself?

Also, you said it was in import...where was it imported from? Is there anything on there indicating country of manufacture, etc?

'OpenG10'...thank you. It was made in the USA. The numbers are exactly the same as the regular longbox. It was marked as a US import in HMV when I bought it. I bought it before 'The Joshua Tree' was released.

'Nick66'...you're getting confused again:wink: My longbox and the regular one have the compact disc 'logo' present in the top right corner. The regular longbox also has the words 'Compact Disc' in white in top left corner. Mine doesn't.

See below:

My longbox:
$T2eC16VHJG!E9nm3p32QBRJpzhKKq!~~60_35.JPG

Regular longbox:
thm_war-longbox2.jpg

$T2eC16NHJGoE9nuQeR6!BQqSKs(4l!~~60_35.JPG

You can see the wording I described is missing on mine.

'LadySpinHead'...:wave:

'OpenG10'...thank you. It was made in the USA. The numbers are exactly the same as the regular longbox. It was marked as a US import in HMV when I bought it. I bought it before 'The Joshua Tree' was released.

'Nick66'...you're getting confused again:wink: My longbox and the regular one have the compact disc 'logo' present in the top right corner. The regular longbox also has the words 'Compact Disc' in white in top left corner. Mine doesn't.

See below:

My longbox:

Regular longbox:

You can see the wording I described is missing on mine.

'LadySpinHead'...:wave:

Ok, mate. Mystery solved.

I talked to my friend (collector of long boxes CDs), and this is what he told me:

cutout window longboxes disappeared in mid 1984. According to his words, they are "really, really rare and are usual target masterings".

So, this is a first edition CD, as 1984 is the year the U2 CDs were first released.

This piece is fuckin rare mate. I doubt you will find another like this one.

Ok, mate. Mystery solved.

I talked to my friend (collector of long boxes CDs), and this is what he told me:

cutout window longboxes disappeared in mid 1984. According to his words, they are "really, really rare and are usual target masterings".

So, this is a first edition CD, as 1984 is the year the U2 CDs were first released.

This piece is fuckin rare mate. I doubt you will find another like this one.

Needless to say they are the real McCoy.

He even showed me pics of another releases with those window cut outs.

'OpenG180'...Wow...that's fantastic news.

I really do appreciate you taking time out to look into this for me. I'm going to add what you've found out to my description of the product where I have it for sale.

I noticed the CD itself was made in Japan and has the following printed on the inner rim: 90067-2 N1E

I found some information regarding cut out window longboxes. It seems these had the open type flaps at the top and bottom of the box (as mine does) instead of the sealed, glued down flaps:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/is-there-a-west-german-non-target-of-fleetwood-rumours-with-catalog-number-3010-2.109889/

'LadySpinHead'...thanks for that and for being pleased at my good fortune.

'OpenG180'...Wow...that's fantastic news.

I really do appreciate you taking time out to look into this for me. I'm going to add what you've found out to my description of the product where I have it for sale.

I noticed the CD itself was made in Japan and has the following printed on the inner rim: 90067-2 N1E

I found some information regarding cut out window longboxes. It seems these had the open type flaps at the top and bottom of the box (as mine does) instead of the sealed, glued down flaps:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/is-there-a-west-german-non-target-of-fleetwood-rumours-with-catalog-number-3010-2.109889/

'LadySpinHead'...thanks for that and for being pleased at my good fortune.

The first (82-85) CDs (the silver disc) were basically made in Germany and Japan. Japanese CDs, till this day, often use different masterings (not loud and compressed) and are considered the definitive editions. They usually had aluminum centers on the discs themselves instead of see-through plastic.

Your CD has a value somewhere between 200-300 GBP.

Glad to help!

That's between the price range i calculated.

Excellent news, mate!! Happy it went well for you!!

Yep... you got it spot on.

I can't believe how much this went for. I think I might sell the rest of my U2 collection as individual items.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom