War is 35!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reggie Thee Dog

Blue Crack Addict
So with the 35th Anniversary of the release of the War album, let's reflect on what this album meant to U2...

1. U2 scored a worldwide hit album
2. 2 all-time classic rock tunes ever
3. Took their concerts to Must See status
4. Made them socially relevant

War catapulted U2 into the Rock\Pop stratosphere, and allowed them some breathing room for the next chapter in their history.

The songs are solid, with some obvious flubs...but even the songs I despised when I was younger I now have in my casual playlists (Red Light anyone???)...:hmm:

Great album, great time period to discover and be a U2 fan...:yes:

War has always been my favorite album of the pre-UF days, but in recent years it has grown on me a lot.

How I’d rank it today:

1) New Year’s Day
2) Sunday Bloody Sunday
3) Two Hearts Beat as One
4) Surrender
5) “40”
6) Drowning Man
7) Like a Song...
8) Seconds
9) The Refugee
10) Red Light

In this day and age, this album gets left on the wayside. If you were alive during that time you can really appreciate how great this album is, for its time. It's no Joshua Tree, but in 1983 is was an urgent clarion call to stand up and look at the world we were living in.

Cold War, Irish Terrorism, Polish Solidarity were just a few of the themes in this album, and they were all very relevant. But above and beyond that the songs were just great, and they translated well into their live show.

I :love: this album

In this day and age, this album gets left on the wayside. If you were alive during that time you can really appreciate how great this album is, for its time. It's no Joshua Tree, but in 1983 is was an urgent clarion call to stand up and look at the world we were living in.

Cold War, Irish Terrorism, Polish Solidarity were just a few of the themes in this album, and they were all very relevant. But above and beyond that the songs were just great, and they translated well into their live show.

I :love: this album

In light of current world events and political movements today, a War 35 tour would seem more relevant than the JT30 tour.

Wait, that would make me 35 too... FUUUUUCK!

Given the current situation, they should play "The Rufugee", with a snippet of Tom Peggy's "Refugee" thrown in!

Good gravy, 35!!?? I remember hearing New Year's Day on the radio for the first time, and Edge's guitar solo, and thinking "that runs a shiver down my spine like no song ever has." And Sunday Bloody Sunday was being played then too. Same fascination with the "otherness" of their sound, esp. at that time. And that was the end of any other music ever coming first in my life. lol.

And who knew the haunting beauty that is Drowning Man was there to be discovered too?

War holds up well, and I still reach out for those songs today.

I still remember hearing it for the first time, it was the first U2 music I ever heard. And thinking what is this, it's just so good and so unique.

Of course I was in utero at the time, the doctor said I was a baby prodigy.

So with the 35th Anniversary of the release of the War album, let's reflect on what this album meant to U2...

1. U2 scored a worldwide hit album
2. 2 all-time classic rock tunes ever
3. Took their concerts to Must See status
4. Made them socially relevant

War catapulted U2 into the Rock\Pop stratosphere, and allowed them some breathing room for the next chapter in their history.

The songs are solid, with some obvious flubs...but even the songs I despised when I was younger I now have in my casual playlists (Red Light anyone???)...:hmm:

Great album, great time period to discover and be a U2 fan...:yes:

Perfectly summed up why this is the 3rd U2 classic and to me and many others, the 3rd masterpiece. TUF and Boy, in my mind, both come close. Even SOI and SOE knock at the door on their best days. All my opinion. But WAR is what I always come back to.

I am one of those newer U2 fans. I was always aware of them- my aunt and Mom were big fans and I remember growing up in the 1990s and hanging with my Dad while Mom and aunt were off at Zoo TV and Popmart. I didn't become a fan until the super bowl halftime show caught my attention. Gave me an appreciation for ATYCLB and for U2 as a whole beyond just the album/band that had all those songs on the radio. HTDAAB made me a die hard upon release and my first show on the Vertigo ensured I would be a fanatic for life.

After the show in October 2005, I started through the back catalog. I remember being shocked that songs I'd heard live, An cat dubh, electric co and the ocean, were released all the way back in 1980! That blew my mind. Then I went through R&H, AB and JT very heavily the rest of that year.

It wasn't until fall 2006 that I got to WAR and when I did, it was the same experience so many here describe having in 1983. I'd never heard anything like this before. SBS and NYD at Red Rocks in that light, rain and fog took on their original, raw meaning for the first time that I'd seen. I saw what they were, not the classic rock staples they became. Then the rest of the album hit me the same way. Passionate in the most urgent way I'd ever heard music be passionate. Energetic. Visceral. I was blown away discovering live performances of these tunes on the WAR tour. It was the band I'd come to know and love, sure. It's not like they are all that different today- but it was almost like discovering a completely new band. I'd never heard anything that sounded like Two hearts, Seconds, Surrender or Drowning man.

I know many take a different view, but to me, there's not anything approaching a clunker on this album. In fact, Refugee and Red light, the two most commonly cited weak spots, stood out to me on first listen.

How relevant have these songs remained? Like Mac-Fly said, a WAR 35 tour would be as fitting to these times (or more) than JT 30 was.

Even taking the SOE angle, there's sonic and thematic relevance:

Refugee would be right at home with the sonic and political themes of Red flag day. Summer of love addresses the same subject. Drowning man.

You could make a connection between Two hearts and The Best thing. Defiant joy in a troubled world.

I think E&I has some room for WAR. I'd love to see Two Hearts get more of a chance than it got on I&E. Play it right up front and really give it their all. Drowning man is primed to get a few spins as well. Seconds is so relevant to our world today. 40 as well.

There's a great chance to showcase War on the next tour without SBS and NYD doing most/all of the heavy lifting. As great as NYD is, maybe let it rest a bit after the funky lower key version they played last year.

I bought this tape with my birthday money in 9th grade. It had already been out for a few years but until then I had only listened to JT, TUF, R&H and UABRS. It’s definitely not in my handful of favorite albums but Side A is incredible.

Ah, but at the JT30 show I saw he sang the 'Gold is the reason..." part and I about died...:cute:

So, maybe roll it out here and there...:yes:

I thought it was a fantastic 'alternate' version (as alternate as you'd expect U2 to make of it, anyway, even if a lot of it was just returning to the album version) of one of my favourite songs. Now I'll always associate it with the JT30 Tour, maybe I just want to bottle it up.

I thought it was a fantastic 'alternate' version (as alternate as you'd expect U2 to make of it, anyway, even if a lot of it was just returning to the album version) of one of my favourite songs. Now I'll always associate it with the JT30 Tour, maybe I just want to bottle it up.

Yeah, I agree. When I read about the new low key version and heard it on low quality rehearsal videos, I was dreading this. I thought "here we go, a warhorse that always managed to sound awesome is finally getting neutered." When I actually heard it live at the Rose Bowl, I thought it sounded great and barely noticed the reduction in key. What I did notice was the true-to-album added verse and the "ohhh, maybe the time is right" part sounded great as the piercing guitar and driving rhythm section picked up again.

But like you, I'm good with it remaining on JT 30.

Also like you, I would like to see another couple songs from War take center stage this time. Seconds, Two hearts, refugee could all be centerpieces of an E&I set.

Yeah, I agree. When I read about the new low key version and heard it on low quality rehearsal videos, I was dreading this. I thought "here we go, a warhorse that always managed to sound awesome is finally getting neutered." When I actually heard it live at the Rose Bowl, I thought it sounded great and barely noticed the reduction in key. What I did notice was the true-to-album added verse and the "ohhh, maybe the time is right" part sounded great as the piercing guitar and driving rhythm section picked up again.

But like you, I'm good with it remaining on JT 30.

Also like you, I would like to see another couple songs from War take center stage this time. Seconds, Two hearts, refugee could all be centerpieces of an E&I set.
All three of those songs would be great to hear performed. I don't think they have ever played The Refugee live. Underrated song. Hell, this album has a few underrated tracks. Red Light, Seconds...

As time goes by, song I skipped in my youth I come back to...:yes:

Red Light is something that is on almost every playlist I put together... :)

Promenade is another

Trip Through Your Wires....and so on. However the War songs (Refugee, RL, Like A Song...) all resonate with me more and more. I still play this CD all the way through!

One of these days when my wife is out, I'm gonna crank up War and give it an intense listen. I don't think I've heard the whole thing, at once, for about 15 years or something.

I love it! I don't think there's a bad song on it, and only one ('Red Light') sounds a bit awkward. The rest are all great, to my ears.

It's the last "baby band" album. They still sound raw and unvarnished, probably because they didn't have much money on the first three albums so they had to record them quickly (if only they'd go back to doing that now). But of the first three, this one has a musical maturity far beyond the first two.

I think I could make a good argument that War is the most important album in their history.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom