Walk On.....its paid off!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope this doesn't happen.

*shrug* I've said it before. I'll take her "house arrest" where she has maids, a piano, and plenty of food and clothing.

Dont get me wrong, I'm thrilled she's free. But her life is not rags and stale bread in a dark cell. She has a HUGE home, she is tended to by staff, and she doesn't go hungry or cold. She could have it so much worse.

And on that note, I'm kinda hoping maybe Bono will find a better use for that spot of the set. Something to help ease REAL suffering. :reject:

*shrug* I've said it before. I'll take her "house arrest" where she has maids, a piano, and plenty of food and clothing.

Dont get me wrong, I'm thrilled she's free. But her life is not rags and stale bread in a dark cell. She has a HUGE home, she is tended to by staff, and she doesn't go hungry or cold. She could have it so much worse.

And on that note, I'm kinda hoping maybe Bono will find a better use for that spot of the set. Something to help ease REAL suffering. :reject:
Seriuosly? OK, it could be worse but do you call it justice?

I'd rather NOT have those things and have my freedom.

Wow.

The point isn't that she was being held in any sort of deplorable conditions, the point is that she was a political prisoner, being confined to her home by the government. I'm sure you wouldn't like it very much at all if your government wouldn't allow you to leave your home, no matter how nice the home was.

You know, it's not just about her. 50 million people live in Burma, most in abject poverty due to the political regime. Burma is the poorest non-African country in the world. One of the few places actually left where manageable diseases like polio are allowed to run riot because of the governments neglect of their people. Suu Kyi is a symbol for the entire Burmese people, and the do experience REAL suffering.

Wow.

The point isn't that she was being held in any sort of deplorable conditions, the point is that she was a political prisoner, being confined to her home by the government. I'm sure you wouldn't like it very much at all if your government wouldn't allow you to leave your home, no matter how nice the home was.

amen.. well said!:up:

:down:

unbelievable

you know, it's not just about her. 50 million people live in burma, most in abject poverty due to the political regime. Burma is the poorest non-african country in the world. One of the few places actually left where manageable diseases like polio are allowed to run riot because of the governments neglect of their people. Suu kyi is a symbol for the entire burmese people, and the do experience real suffering.

^this.

I think U2.com says it quite appropriately: U2 > News > Aung San Suu Kyi Released – 1 Down, 2,202 To Go

Burma Campaign UK today welcomed the release of Aung San Suu Kyi, but warned that the release should not be interpreted as a sign that democratic reform is on the way. Burma Campaign UK also called for the immediate release of 2,202 political prisoners who remain in detention.

“The release of Aung San Suu Kyi is about public relations, not democratic reform,” said Zoya Phan, International Coordinator at Burma Campaign UK. “I am thrilled to see our democracy leader free at last, but the release is not part of any political process, instead it is designed to get positive publicity for the dictatorship after the blatant rigging of elections on 7th November. We must not forget the thousands of other political prisoners still suffering in Burma’s jails.”

And one other quote to explain why I'm not yet overjoyed by this news:
It is the third time Aung San Suu Kyi has been released from house arrest. The last time she was released, in 2002, it was part of a UN-led initiative to try to persuade Burma’s dictatorship to enter into dialogue leading to a transition to democracy. However, when the time came for substantive discussions the dictatorship refused to continue the dialogue.

She's been out of prison/released from house arrest before, but that did not last. Will it now? Or will she be locked up as soon as she brings up democracy reform again?
So :up: for her being released now. I hope she will be free for a long time and that positive change will come to Birma.

Fantastic news. Now they can stop playing the song on tour and cut down the ATYCLB tracks.

This is the one of the stupidest statements I have heard in a very long time.

Unless you have experienced being held in one location for the past 15 years without contact with the outside world, you should not make statements like this.

You do realise that while she was being held in her "luxurious" home her life was also at stake.

She is a living symbol for an entire nation and those generals could have easily ended her life just to make a point.

I think U2.com says it quite appropriately: U2 > News > Aung San Suu Kyi Released – 1 Down, 2,202 To Go

And one other quote to explain why I'm not yet overjoyed by this news:

She's been out of prison/released from house arrest before, but that did not last. Will it now? Or will she be locked up as soon as she brings up democracy reform again?
So :up: for her being released now. I hope she will be free for a long time and that positive change will come to Birma.

I hope she will be out for a long time. I do have my doubts considering the past history. *crossesfingers*

This is the one of the stupidest statements I have heard in a very long time.

Unless you have experienced being held in one location for the past 15 years without contact with the outside world, you should not make statements like this.

You do realise that while she was being held in her "luxurious" home her life was also at stake.

She is a living symbol for an entire nation and those generals could have easily ended her life just to make a point.

Whatever, as long as I have my maids, I'm totally cool with being under house arrest for 15 years.

CNN: "We didn't know much about your feelings on Burma, Myanmar, and Aung San Suu Kyi"

:applaud:

:wink:

Thanks bonocomet, I had the television on saturday and didn't see this, because I switched channels all the time! :wave:

CNN: "We didn't know much about your feelings on Burma, Myanmar, and Aung San Suu Kyi"

:applaud:

:wink:

Thanks bonocomet, I had the television on saturday and didn't see this, because I switched channels all the time! :wave:

I surprisingly tuned in at the right time, and I had a laugh (especially when he said "Our audience has suffered me banging on this stuff for a long time) :lol:

U2.com email I received today:
I'm sure, like us, you're delighted with the news of the release of Aung San Suu Kyi in Burma at the weekend. We should all be relieved, if cautious, that she has been able to take a step towards freedom.

However, we must remember that her release is not part of any political process but is designed to get positive publicity for the dictatorship after the blatant rigging of elections on 7th November. We must not forget the thousands of other political prisoners still suffering in Burma’s jails and must do whatever we can to encourage the international community to engage the junta in dialogue.

We will continue our support of this remarkable woman and her campaign, and as always we count on your continued input and continued vigilance.

Thanks
Edge

Ofcourse I'm convinced the Edge himself wrote this to me all personally. :yes: You did miss a comma there Edge. :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom