Vote for U2 as the next Rock Band Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't understand why so many people are voting Queen. They've already got 8 songs as downloadable content and another 2 in Lego Rock Band. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and U2 have ZERO representation thus far.

I dont think its a straight up vote.. keep in mind that on their own forums since before Rock Band they have a thread that was started asking for U2 and last I checked it was by far the longest thread of any other band with people requesting U2. They have been well aware of the desire to have U2 in a Rock Band game and the fact that they included U2 in a poll and with the earlier comments from the band .. I think it has a good shot of happening.

Here's hoping the game exists

I would buy it

but all I really care about is having an easter egg or something of the virtual band getting stuck in the in-game lemon

game of the decade if that happens:drool:

Actually this is for the game after Green Day.. in the thread on their site which this list eventually directs you to they have this

"This survey contains a sampling of some of the most requested artists, bands that have been consistently requested since the initial release of Rock Band. We’d love to get your feedback on which bands you feel are best suited to an artist specific release, similar in tone to what we’ve done with The Beatles and, in a few weeks, Green Day. You can vote for up to three bands on this list, and we encourage you to include a write in if you want to cast a vote for a band we didn’t include. If you don’t want to see any more artist specific Rock Band titles there’s an option for that as well. Finally, logging a vote showing that you don’t want more artist focused titles will prevent you from casting votes for individual bands after the fact… so think carefully before you click!"

The Green Day Rock Band game is out very soon.. within weeks actually.

actually, no. you're wrong.

#1, it never says "... for the band after green day" in this article.

the next rock band after green day is pearl jam. it's already been announced, it has a cover, it has a rumored release date of september.

this is probably to gauge interest on what to do after the already announced rock band: pearl jam, which was announced a year ago on pearljam.com

Pearl Jam Rock Band Project Coming Next Year

We need your help! Ten Club, MTV Games and Harmonix’s Rock Band, and Rhapsody are teaming up to let you, Pearl Jam’s biggest fans, help us choose the best versions of Pearl Jam live songs that will be presented for the first-ever fan voted set list for a forthcoming Rock Band project.

Your expertise will help us determine which of these versions is worthy of making the cut. Just click on the songs you like and open up the Rhapsody playlist widget for that particular song. Once you have the widget open, listen to the version you think is the best. The versions that are played the most times will be deemed the best versions and will then be entered into consideration to make the final “set list” vote.

and it's already showing up on some international video game sites...

World of Games: Game Shop / Spiele Online-Shop und DVD Shop: PC, Playstation, Nintendo, Xbox und Videospiele

so yea... this pearl jam live rock band game has been in the works for some time now.

I voted U2, not because I want to see the actual game in stores but to support those of you who really do want to play I Will Follow on a plastic Gibson Explorer.:applaud:

:wink:

Agreed, I hate these fake instrument games, go learn real music! But I'll support U2 (in voting for the game, not buying it).

Okay I know this topic has gone round and round a zillion times and no offense to anyone who's opinion is that people should learn to play a musical instrument... but the question I always come back to is: Why do the people who don't play these games even care that the people who do, get the music they enjoy? :shrug: Why does it matter to you that game players shouldn't get enjoyable music :scratch:

Because they think that it's comparable to making real music and a sad excuse to not lay the real guitar? :shrug: Just guessing here. It always sounded a bit snobbish to me. I play both guitar and guitar hero, and find them to be two entirely different things.
If I want to make music, I play my guitar.
If I want to play a game and enjoy some music, I play guitar hero.

Because they think that it's comparable to making real music and a sad excuse to not lay the real guitar? :shrug: Just guessing here. It always sounded a bit snobbish to me. I play both guitar and guitar hero, and find them to be two entirely different things.

Personally speaking, I'm with The Edge: I suck at Guitar Hero.
I get more joy in actually learning the instrument and thus being able to develop my skills (which are nowhere near perfect compared to some people) and in turn this can help me figure out how to play certain songs.

Take Get On Your Boots as an example. It might sound like a simple/riff but it wasn't obvious to me how I should play it (Chords, notes, effects, techniques etc) and after a couple of listens I could figure out basically how to play the whole song and shared my suggestion with the world: u2.se -- Get On Your Guitar. I get to use my ears as a tool to figure out what I'm actually hearing and how to play it on my instrument (and occasionally learn songs before most other people). ;)

Obviously The Edge doesn't play Get On Your Boots exactly like I do, neither do I always hear exactly what Edge is playing either.
I'm just saying that to me it's a whole lot more fun to play a real instrument, learning things in the process and make use of them. I am just one of those people who enjoy the struggle to tweak the technology packed into my multi-effects unit in order to approximate the sound of my heroes - knowing that this is my work rather than some karaoke backing track.

Then again, I'm sure football players don't enjoy sports games as much as I do. They would probably prefer being out on the pitch with his/her 10 team mates fighting to bring home the gold medal - but I don't have the skills nor the stamina to do it so I pick up my hand controller and pretend I'm the biggest football star on the planet.

If people then, like I enjoy sports games, would like to challenge themselves in a Rock Band: U2 videogame I could understand and support them - hence why I voted for U2 even though I'm personally not too fond of the idea. I've been encouraged to try playing Guitar Hero when I have been with my firends on a couple of occasions but it just never appealed to me, I never felt like "Ooh, this is so much fun". My friends beat me, every time on this game, I can live with that. :) If games like this makes people interested in actually picking up a guitar after a while, then I think it's magnificent. I don't like to pretend I'm better than the videogame Guitar Heroes gathered to have a fun night with their pals, I make no distinction there since I know I would get my ass kicked if they challanged me to a Guitar Hero duel and possibly vice versa.

Now what I really would like to do is to be able to write my own stuff and find my own sound one day rather that replicating others or playing other people's songs but that's another story. I would like to conclude by stressing the fact that to me personally, it's not about being snobbish, it's just a matter of preference - I tried the game and didn't like it, I went back to playing my own guitars.
And as a final note; I have way too much gear already to bring in a plastic axe in my setup now :lol:

voted U2! Wanna , wanna wanna! Also , Zep and Muse would be next.

I play both guitar and guitar hero, and find them to be two entirely different things.

:hi5:

< I play REAL guitar AND I play Rock Band and Guitar Hero too.

Why can't some people understand that. It's just to have fun,get people into it. I think alot of the population would turn to playing real guitar,drums ect. after playing a music game,just because they want to see if they could play it for real. But who knows.

I enjoy it alot,after a hard days work,sitting down and playing Rock Band or Guitar Hero is a lot of fun.

Call me a snob if you want, but I think this culture of rhythm games and American Idol is making a cheap mockery of music, and making a killing doing it... of course that's no different than the majority of label business practice.

Now what I really would like to do is to be able to write my own stuff and find my own sound one day rather that replicating others or playing other people's songs but that's another story.

Do it! Its great to understand your influences intimately, but it can be so much more fun once you've dug into your own sound, to go back and put a spin on the songs you love.

Do it! Its great to understand your influences intimately, but it can be so much more fun once you've dug into your own sound, to go back and put a spin on the songs you love.

In order to avoid going too far off-topic here I'll make a simple statement and explain it: I need a band to be creative.

I was in one but we split up, and since then I have a hard time coming up with new songs. I realized that I probably I need some rhythm, vocal melody or bass groove to build my stuff around, I have drum machines and loopers, but it just isn't the same.

What we did sometimes was to just improvise and we came up with interesting stuff, but nothing we recorded so I don't remember very much of it these days.

What happens to me is that either I write loose melodic parts, chord structures or unfinished pieces of lyrics and all of it rarely fits together. It's like staring at a 10.000 piece puzzle and find that you actually have 10.001 pieces on the table. I'm get tired of sounding too much like The Edge sometimes. Ultimately, I'm a team player more than a singer-songwriter kind of person I suppose.

[/off-topic]

Great post Simon and I agree with a lot of what you said. :up: You're obviously a dedicated musician, and at least you can see the difference between music and a game about music.

Thanks everyone who tried to answer my question. I appreciate it. I guess since I'm in the group of people who both play music and play games, it's easier from that perspective to understand that the two can live in harmony.

edit: :uhoh: there was no pun intended there.

In order to avoid going too far off-topic here I'll make a simple statement and explain it: I need a band to be creative.

I was in one but we split up, and since then I have a hard time coming up with new songs. I realized that I probably I need some rhythm, vocal melody or bass groove to build my stuff around, I have drum machines and loopers, but it just isn't the same.

What we did sometimes was to just improvise and we came up with interesting stuff, but nothing we recorded so I don't remember very much of it these days.

What happens to me is that either I write loose melodic parts, chord structures or unfinished pieces of lyrics and all of it rarely fits together. It's like staring at a 10.000 piece puzzle and find that you actually have 10.001 pieces on the table. I'm get tired of sounding too much like The Edge sometimes. Ultimately, I'm a team player more than a singer-songwriter kind of person I suppose.

[/off-topic]

Wow, I know exactly what you mean... are you sure you're not me??

Back
Top Bottom