Vote for The Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how come you don't see this bloke's name more often? i've only got four PJ albums and he's very good...

Here's a digitaldreamdoor.com list of greatest rock guitarists and he's listed at #146, which I personally think is just silly. Of course, it's subjective, and it all depends on what criteria you look at. But McCready's composed some of the greatest solos in rock history, especially in the early years (Alive, Yellow Ledbetter, Even Flow, Breath, etc.) His stuff became a bit more restrained on some of the later albums, but it's still gorgeous. And he's phenomenal live.

Thankfully, the guitar solo in "Alive" (my all-time favorite solo) is usually recognized as one of the best in rankings, lists, etc.

100 Greatest Rock Guitarists

McCready is heavily, heavily influenced by Hendrix, by the way.

yeah i picked up on the Hendrix thing seeing him live. some of his solos, particularly when Eddie walked away from the mic and started swigging wine, smoking or throwing shit into the crowd, letting Mike do whatever, kicked my fucking ass into 2013, proving the Mayans are wrong!

concerts are so much more awesome when the band are visibly enjoying themselves.

he even dedicated a song (Given to Fly) to a great AFL player who recently retired, got his name wrong, and then started the next song with an apology, saying how embarrassed he was.

anyone that thinks that should watch the video of the special,
where he came on out an empty stage with just a guitar and an amp and played for an hour
that proved he had real chops and does not need any pedals.

Aaaa crap which special (??)... on cable TV (which I odn't have) ??
You're not talking IMGL are you?

I def want to know so I can see the vid!

And what about ... that kickin' bluesy solo live in BTBS ?!??
My jaw dropped when I got to hear/see it on Vid...... it's someting style-wise I so not associated with The Edge.

The beautiful little single note lead runs he does with or without pedals.... besidies the chimming, and skittering styles of his which are so awesome .

To me that descending run at the end of In God's Country thrills me every time. It's crystaline set of strikingly beautiful notes, and clear sound takes me right back to the High Desert of NE Aronza that I've had the luck to visit twice.

ALSO on a whole other level/facet: of electrifying the guitar really does bring the whole other element of sound modulation by it's very nature-- even if it (perhaps) it didn't start out that way -- of which effects pedals are a way of acessing that aspect.

And he IS a Master at that!

Are guitar chops "only" about how fast you play, how intense you can shred ( i am being a little exadgerated here ) ..there are such differeent aspects sounds to different guitar players.

Next post on other guitarists.... :)

The typical AC/DC song formula:

Cliched rock 'n' roll riff
Same basic drum beat (count yourself lucky if you get a drum fill!)
Lyrics about rock 'n' roll
Growling vocals
An abrupt 20 second solo (the only thing Young actually ever does) with the same guitar tone song after song
Ends with one last drum fill and symbal crash

:happy:

Yeah, you can tell how much I detest them.

The saying goes... "I used to love AC/DC. Until I realized that it's all the exact. Same. Thing." lol.

as for other guitarists .......

I've never seen PJ live ( i hope i might get the chance to) but I really enjoy Even Flow & Alive. Our pretty cool mixed R&R Station - classic, independent/alt and new- plays those tracks of theirs as well as others.

I have to go vote but porbably for a few including Edge!

yeah, and as U2Girl said....what about Townshend?!omg!

I have had the fabulous (even if Pete was/is so cantankeroustoo often) privilege of seeing The (Original) Who live a bunch of times..... including the incredible 1971 performances of Who's Next and Tommy at The Filmore East1969 ( and some shows in 76 & 79 that had incredible moments).
I have got a guitar solo by Pete (if the cassette didn't get lost by a bunch of people packing some stuff up for me in a move last year that f'd up alot of my stuff). I wanted to put it into Garage Band to try and clean it & bump it up to have for "posterity" so to speak.......
hell i'd put it up on YT!

too fucking firey and stratoshperic to be lost. Maybe it IS ot there on a boot.....but i don't know!

No arguement from me about Hendrix being on of the greatest!

I'm think also Tom Verliane of Televisoin and Richard Lloyd as well.

They are wonderful guitarists on their own . BUT their synergy playing live together in Teleivision........
OH when these 2 were going at it live - think "Fire Engine", See No Evil, Marquee Moon, and if luckly enough to have heard it live - I have a live - (well if that one didn't lost either :mad:) recording of it given to me by someone associated with them...NOT the pathetic, wan pale imitaion that came out on the - i can't even remember at the moment-- re issue of Adventure their 2nd album -- with the actaul song "Adventure" this time.
PEH that studio recording of Adventure is blarg!
I've got the real deal live !

And becuase his stage performance, musical & songwriting skills are so wonderful... Springsteen is also quite a guitarist (another long time live favorite of mine).

So to me having seen some of the (mostly) non-blues guitar greats live that were a being acclaimed at each of their times....... the fact that The Edge is in his own way IMHO in their leaugue is saying alot!

I beleive more in a pantheon of levels of greatest (in whichever in the Creatvie Arts) VS a singular hierarchical approach that these polls take!

:der:

I can't beleive I forgot Roger McQuin!!

got a great story........

there was a partiuclar parade honoring Dr King that I and a friednd expected to see more people at, but didn't oh about 11 years or so back.

It ended up in the big street/sidewalk near the UN.
Roger McQuin was one of the musicians playing.....
and then the march dwindled sadly even more and there I was like two feet away from him. He was playing....thinking to myself...."shouldn't I be more excited than this !??!!"

Maybe they didn't have an Amplification Sound Permit so he was playing Acouastic, and not wielding the ***Twelve-string*** !!

Like Edge is ever going to win a contest mainly voted by NME readers :lmao:
I just saw the ranking and list, and bursted out in tears. Of laughter of course, its a joke.

Like Edge is ever going to win a contest mainly voted by NME readers :lmao:
I just saw the ranking and list, and bursted out in tears. Of laughter of course, its a joke.

At the same time the Edge is not the greatest guitarist of all time, and that list is missing about a good 50 names before any of those names should be mentioned.

Edge has never even made the windows of my local Guitar Center so he must not be the best

He's absolutely awesome, and he's my personal favorite because of how much brain he puts into his guitar rather than physical talent. I mean, I know he's still very talented, but it's inspirational to me that he isnt the most amazing guitarist but he puts his mind to it and comes out with better sound than any of your more 'skilled' guitarists, if you will.

Amazing musician, if you will.

Back
Top Bottom