Vertigo Live from Chicago DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theedgeu2

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond th
I was recently watching this and love this DVD. One of my favorites and what turned me into a fan in the first place. The highlights to me are COBL, Electric Co., SYCMIOYO, One (even with that loooooooooong ass speech), Zoo Station, and The Fly. I was just wondering if anyone enjoyed this DVD also?

it's probably my least favourite of the one's they've put out, maybe ahead of Boston, but i still enjoy it and it's got a great setlist.

The Fly, IMO, was the best song they played on the first leg. It was even more amazing seeing it in person than on the dvd.

Overall, I liked the dvd. Zoo TV Live From Sydney is my all time favorite.

It was my first U2 DVD, and I still like it... however, I think I like every U2 DVD except for Elevation Boston better (I can't even make it through Elevation Boston). Electric Co. and Zoo Station/The Fly make this DVD worth the price of payment.

It was my first U2 DVD, and I still like it... however, I think I like every U2 DVD except for Elevation Boston better (I can't even make it through Elevation Boston). Electric Co. and Zoo Station/The Fly make this DVD worth the price of payment.

Electric Co. was done fantastically. Zoo Station was totally reinvented. I remember looking for Zoo Station and finding out that the album version was totally different.:lol: Keep in mind this was when I first heard U2. Elevation from Boston is probably the worst. I love Elevation from Slane though. Good performances and very emotional since Bono had lost his father prior to the gig.

It's a good DVD, but probably U2's weakest. Though, Electric Co. and The Fly of the DVD are of highly respectable quality. Despite that, it'd definitely be the last U2 concert that I would purchase.

It's a funny thing that, back when videos were available only on VHS and had to be purchased to be seen (no downloading in the 80s kids), U2 and Paul McGuinness released one concert video in their first 16 or so years of recording. Since the late 90s, when videos became frequently bootlegged and can be freely downloaded, they've released one or two for every tour.

Anyway, the Chicago DVD was fine but I think I preferred most of the performances on the 3D movie. On the plus side were the new songs and the Boy-era songs, which were all brilliantly performed. On the minus side were the 80s' songs, which sounded crap, the endless speech before "One", and Bono's ridiculous costumes, which reminded me more of the Village People than he probably had wanted. And no wonder he fired that hair stylist.

It's not bad, but it's just that any other dvd except for Boston is better than it. I love TEC, An Cat Dubh with the little kid, and the Fly is just a killer!

What I hate hate hate is the bad way of shooting(YES YOU HAMISH), the seemingly dull crowd(which prolly has to dowith the way of shooting) and the speeches.

I'm a fan. I like the way it's shot (Other U2 concert videos may have better performances, but I like the more cinematic look and editing of the DVDs Hamish directed) and as others have said, it's got a an awesome setlist.

Agreed. But didn't Hamish shoot Slane? I love love love the way Slane was filmed, which is probably why I hate the Chicago dvd so much by comparison.

Strangely enough, he did. Yet it's so completely different, Slane's much better director wise. Perhaps the difference between stadium and arena? I don't know, all I know is that I get nauseous from all those quick shots and random closeups of Bono's nostrils and hands. :huh:

I'll take Boston over Chicago and Slane anyday. They're all great shows, but there's something about Boston, even just the full audience bootleg that stands out from the crowd.

Strangely enough, he did. Yet it's so completely different, Slane's much better director wise. Perhaps the difference between stadium and arena? I don't know, all I know is that I get nauseous from all those quick shots and random closeups of Bono's nostrils and hands. :huh:
My theory: The difference is the audience. For Slane there was something worth capturing in the audience; they were alive. For Chicago the audience is dead (may as well have been an empty arena) so they were forced instead to go with all the silly close ups, out of focus, quickly moving etc... shots of the band themselves.

I prefer a more cinematic approach. R&H is the best in that regard. Exit from R&H owns everything.

I agree with alot of others. Some of the songs sound weak, there were certainly other Vertigo tour performances of Pride, Streets and One that blew the DVD versions out of the water, the crowd is dull for a U2 crowd and the camera work could be much improved. Of these things, the only thing that stands out throughout is the lack of crowd energy. Yes, it was better in Boston, but you cant fault U2- Chicago is usually very energetic! Just like if they had decided to film 360 in Boston this year- 9/21 was probably the best 360 show on Leg 2, but I thought the crowd sucked- most left after Walk On! Any city can have a bad night crowd wise, you just hope its not when the cameras are rolling.

All that being said, it is not my favorite, but like Digitize, is the first one I was introduced to. I have fond memories of having this on repeat in my computer every day in the early months of 2006 after having got it for Christmas! That being said, lets look at the many things this DVD has going for it:

- The Vertigo tour I think featured a genuine and passionate political focus that brought back an earnestness not seen since the late 80s. For example:

-Love and Peace was done extremely well, SBS and Bullet a little tired, but with a significant amount of energy from Larry and a big statement from Bono.

-Running to Standstill was just gorgeous- Bono in top form, The Edge on piano, the deeply touching thank you and prayer for the safety of American soldiers in harms way, etc.

Other highlights:
-COBL-Vertigo opening is very strong.
-Electric Co maybe the best, most intense version on Vertigo.
-An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart- intense and moving. All mentioned above a great selection and fitting with one of the key themes of the tour- revisiting, in sound and in sentiment, the wonder, opportunity angst and loss of innocence presented in the Boy era.
-ZOO TV homage encore kicks all kinds of ass!
-Zoo Station is nicely re worked, maybe not as great as the 1992-3 performances, but an interesting update that changed some things and kept the core the same!
-Strong performance of The Fly, represents 05/06 versions pretty well, though some were better.
-Probably the longest and possibly(the other contenders are on Leg 5) the best Vertigo tour Mysterious Ways! This has it all- much better drumming than 360, the band is actually into it, the slide solo is spectacular, and they play it out for a long time as our friend (I forget her name, isn't that terrible?) was pulled up on stage. Notice this is probably one of the only moments the crowd really gets into it big time!

-Yahweh was good, and though not as good as the 80s versions, I thought 40 was spectacular and that it sounded great after Yahweh!

-Overall great set list and coherence to the show: I love how the early part focused on the theme of innocence and age by placing songs from Boy near City, Vertigo,then picked up the inspirational theme with BD, MD, NYD leading into the more fiery than usual mid/end set political theme. Then a great visual and musical look at AB in the 1st encore, followed by a 2nd encore that brings things full circle by placing Yahweh and 40 together to end the show. Just as I connect COBL and Boy, I connect Yahweh and 40. The entire set was a great depiction of how U2 felt at the time, having been through a long and diverse career, but now feeling some of the same things they felt when they started out in 1980. This is so well represented by the opening and closing sequences.

Long story short, this DVD is awesome and only suffers in a small way from the few things we have mentioned in this thread. The only thing it is truly guilty of is not measuring up to Zoo TV, R&H and The Under A Blood Red Sky DVD, but really, what the hell could??

I love The Fly from boston, I rate it as the best live performance of my favourite U2 song of all time, though Elevation was far from my favourite tour. Chicago has a blistering version of Electric Co and of course An Cat Dubh, so i'd rate them about even.
I don't rate Slane at all, never have, the U2 dvd that i watch the least.

Back
Top Bottom