Vertigo Discotheque, Toronto IV, 9/16/05

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silkensky

War Child
So I've heard there was a recording of this show made but apparently has never surfaced. Anybody know if that's changed? Would love to hear this show finally as others would I'm sure. Some months ago I came across this little clip on youtube...

YouTube - Discothéque Toronto 4

Unfortunately not a full clip, but still very, very cool with the Popmart encore and what little of Discotheque is shown. I thought the Vertigo versions totally rocked, but one little thing I missed from the more well known performances (Chicago, etc) was Edge's dreamy little solo part from Popmart. In place of that at Toronto he did something completely different, sort of brief but maybe the beginning of something new for the tune (2:23-2:40). I like it. If they bring Disco back I hope they play it this way. This song and the alleged "Get On Your Boots" (or whatever it'll be called) heard in the last beach clips could make a totally awesome pair together on the tour.

James

check out u2start.com. the show is now posted. to be honest though, after all the wait, it's probably the worst version of Discotheque i've ever heard.

check out u2start.com. the show is now posted. to be honest though, after all the wait, it's probably the worst version of Discotheque i've ever heard.

I don't think any of us who were there that night were thinking that. More like "HOLYFUCKIT'SDISCOTHEQUE!!1111!!!!!"

It's just extremely cool to finally have a copy of the show. :)

I'd just like to point out that this is 17 September 2005, not the 16th as the subject line says.

/pedantry

The version on U2 Start is IEM (I think?), and has the most annoying constant click track throughout the show that I've ever heard. I haven't even made it to Discotheque yet because the overall sound is so offputting.

Oh well. Beggars can't be choosers.

Oops, my mistake. Thanks for the correction Axver...

No problem. Cool to see the footage, especially the Pop Muzik intro in action - I've been out of the bootleg loop lately and wasn't aware this was around.

I've downloaded this show but haven't listened to it yet.

U2start doesn't rate the quality very high, so I guess it's an audience recording.

Eddie Vedder apparently came on stage and sang Ol' Man River with Bono, I can't wait to hear that.

As for Discoteque, I've never been a fan of the song and even less live, but it's a nice surprise to hear it played, anyway.

And Peter, what do you mean with "dirty"?

Dirty like: Bad Quality.

Or Dirty like in Dirrrrrty.

*seconds that*
I really looked forward to it since I love the Chicago version, but this just sounded awful. Bono fucked up majorly for me with the lyrics and such.. tho it would've been cool to have the popmuzik intro on the chicago version.

This show was also posted here. User hasin73 has first posted Discotheque from this night and then the full concert but I don't know if it's been on U2start before..

I don't think any of us who were there that night were thinking that. More like "HOLYFUCKIT'SDISCOTHEQUE!!1111!!!!!"

It's just extremely cool to finally have a copy of the show. :)

very true. i'm happy for the people that were there that had to wait over 3 years for this show to surface. :)

It wasn't a giant surprise for me. Earlier in the week, between the 1st and 2nd Toronto show, me and a handful of other people - I think 6 or 7 of us - heard them soundcheck Discotheque and Mofo. You could tell that Discotheque was a lot more polished and show-ready, where Mofo was more loose and would need a lot more rehearsal before it was played (although I did love where they were going with it, it had a really heavy, Zeppelin-esque sound to it). They worked on just those two songs for around 2 hours. Later that night, I went to a net cafe and contacted someone from Interference (Axver, if I'm not mistaken) and told him what I'd heard. After Toronto, I went right on to Chicago, but when I got home from there and could actually sit down and read threads from while I was away, I saw that this huge debate had taken place from Tuesday till Saturday, when it was played. "No, they couldn't have rehearsed those song, there's no way they'll play those, they're wrong." I read many posts containing that sentiment, and laughed to myself, thinking "uh, I was right, bitches!" :memories:

All i can say that.... Discotheque is a fucking brilliant live song and U2 must play it
in the next tour.

Back
Top Bottom