Upcoming ticket sales.Hopefully U2 will see that this doesn't happen.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hate to get everyone up in arms before the tickets go on sale but let's hope that it doesn't happen like it did with Springsteen ticket sales... keep9ing in mind that Bruce also uses Live Nation and also that it is rumoured that Ticketmaster is wanting to buy Live Nation... read on...

Springsteen fans cry foul after Ticketmaster snub
2 hrs 15 mins ago
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – A New Jersey congressman is demanding an investigation after Bruce Springsteen fans were unable to buy tickets from Ticketmaster's Web site — which then promptly offered them more expensive tickets from a subsidiary.

U.S. Rep. Bill Pascrell of Paterson wants the Federal Trade Commission and Justice Department to investigate possible conflicts of interest involving Ticketmaster and a ticket reseller it owns, TicketsNow.

When tickets for Springsteen's Meadowlands show went on sale Monday, some fans got an error message on their computer screen that shut them out from buying tickets. A TicketsNow ad offered tickets for hundreds of dollars more than face value.

A Ticketmaster spokesman says only a few fans reported problems.

Yes I've been reading that it was a complete mess. I would guess that putting so many shows on sale at the same time might have had something to do with it, which could have been an idea of his management-to take advantage of the Super Bowl.

I feel so lucky, I managed to get a GA. Never got the Tickets Now message, and my wait time stayed at less than a minute and I got through.

Ticketmaster by itself was always bad enough in my mind, but it's even worse now that they've added those auctions and what's basically legal scalping. If they merge with Live Nation, it's going to become a monopoly, and I feel like we're going to face even higher service charges and more competition for fewer tickets being sold at face value. You'd think U2 would've realized after the presale fiasco last tour that the current ticket sale model isn't working, not for a band of their popularity, at least, but add this to the list of reasons why their deal with Live Nation worries me.

I've spent the last three months building a relationship with the Blockbuster employees who will be selling me my LiveNation tickets. That took a lot of effort. I hope it's not all for not.

:sick:

In a letter to fans issued this afternoon, Bruce Springsteen, Jon Landau and the entire Tour Team condemn ticket up-selling, call Ticketmaster's TicketsNow redirection "a pure conflict of interest," describe actions they've taken, and warn of a potential Live Nation/Ticketmaster monopoly.

A Letter to Our Fans:

We know there was much confusion regarding Ticketmaster and TicketsNow during last Monday's on-sale dates. We were as confused as you were, as we were given no advance notice of the major changes in the Ticketmaster-TicketsNow world. (Bear in mind that we are not clients of any ticketing company, and that all those arrangements are between venues and ticketing companies.)

Last Monday, we were informed that Ticketmaster was redirecting your log-in requests for tickets at face value, to their secondary site TicketsNow, which specializes in up-selling tickets at above face value. They did this even when other seats remained available at face value. We condemn this practice.

We perceive this as a pure conflict of interest. Ticketmaster is there to ensure that we have a good, fair sale of our tickets at their face value plus normal ticketing charges. TicketsNow is supposed to be a secondary site where people who already have tickets may exchange, trade, and, unfortunately, speculate with them. We have asked this redirection from Ticketmaster to TicketsNow cease and desist immediately and Ticketmaster has agreed to do so in the future and has removed its unwanted material from their and our site.

We know the many cynical arguments some make in favor of the Ticketmaster system: There are rumors that some artists or managers participate in Ticketmaster charges--we do not. There are rumors that some artists or managers are receiving a percentage of the amount above face value at secondary outlets like TicketsNow--we do not. Some artists or managers may not perceive there to be a conflict between having the distributor of their tickets in effect "scalping" those same tickets through a secondary company like TicketsNow--we do.

While many of you have sent notes to us and your local promoters, you may also send accurate informational letters to Albert Lopez of Ticketmaster [Albert.Lopez@ticketmaster.com] and he will try to address your questions.

A final point for now: the one thing that would make the current ticket situation even worse for the fan than it is now would be Ticketmaster and Live Nation coming up with a single system, thereby returning us to a near monopoly situation in music ticketing. Several newspapers are reporting on this story right now. If you, like us, oppose that idea, you should make it known to your representatives.

The abuse of our fans and our trust by Ticketmaster has made us as furious as it has made many of you. We will continue to do our utmost now and in the future to make sure that these practices are permanently curtailed on our tours.

Bruce Springsteen, Jon Landau and the entire Springsteen Tour Team

Oh God and Bruce just finished a tour.

Can you imagine what it's going to be like getting U2 tickets after close to four years of not touring. :sad: :crack:

In a letter to fans issued this afternoon, Bruce Springsteen, Jon Landau and the entire Tour Team condemn ticket up-selling, call Ticketmaster's TicketsNow redirection "a pure conflict of interest," describe actions they've taken, and warn of a potential Live Nation/Ticketmaster monopoly.

A Letter to Our Fans:

We know there was much confusion regarding Ticketmaster and TicketsNow during last Monday's on-sale dates. We were as confused as you were, as we were given no advance notice of the major changes in the Ticketmaster-TicketsNow world. (Bear in mind that we are not clients of any ticketing company, and that all those arrangements are between venues and ticketing companies.)

Last Monday, we were informed that Ticketmaster was redirecting your log-in requests for tickets at face value, to their secondary site TicketsNow, which specializes in up-selling tickets at above face value. They did this even when other seats remained available at face value. We condemn this practice.

We perceive this as a pure conflict of interest. Ticketmaster is there to ensure that we have a good, fair sale of our tickets at their face value plus normal ticketing charges. TicketsNow is supposed to be a secondary site where people who already have tickets may exchange, trade, and, unfortunately, speculate with them. We have asked this redirection from Ticketmaster to TicketsNow cease and desist immediately and Ticketmaster has agreed to do so in the future and has removed its unwanted material from their and our site.

We know the many cynical arguments some make in favor of the Ticketmaster system: There are rumors that some artists or managers participate in Ticketmaster charges--we do not. There are rumors that some artists or managers are receiving a percentage of the amount above face value at secondary outlets like TicketsNow--we do not. Some artists or managers may not perceive there to be a conflict between having the distributor of their tickets in effect "scalping" those same tickets through a secondary company like TicketsNow--we do.

While many of you have sent notes to us and your local promoters, you may also send accurate informational letters to Albert Lopez of Ticketmaster [Albert.Lopez@ticketmaster.com] and he will try to address your questions.

A final point for now: the one thing that would make the current ticket situation even worse for the fan than it is now would be Ticketmaster and Live Nation coming up with a single system, thereby returning us to a near monopoly situation in music ticketing. Several newspapers are reporting on this story right now. If you, like us, oppose that idea, you should make it known to your representatives.

The abuse of our fans and our trust by Ticketmaster has made us as furious as it has made many of you. We will continue to do our utmost now and in the future to make sure that these practices are permanently curtailed on our tours.

Right on, Boss! I'm not a fan but respect this condemnation.

I wonder what will happen :|

I heard on the radio this morning of more "ticket fiascos" with the band Phish having a show or several shows go on sale, and apparently a block of tickets were to be set aside for fans or fan club (sketchy details, sorry). Well the block may have been put aside, but it was still accessible to certain people, so there were hundreds of people who waited at the venue (again, sketchy details) for tickets & there were only 20 available :der: (and no, I'm not a Phish fan nor have I heard them)

I am very worried about getting tickets for U2 when they go on sale. I've spent a ton on the last two tours, and can't do it this time (and couldn't really afford it then either). I hope someone comes up with a good way before they go on sale :pray:

Oh God and Bruce just finished a tour.

Can you imagine what it's going to be like getting U2 tickets after close to four years of not touring. :sad: :crack:

It's going to be really stressful and difficult - either way, whether or not LN and TM merge. If they do, there will be more fees. if they don't, people on the East Coast will have three hours advantage on west-coasters to buy tickets everywhere in the U.S.

Here's what I don't get....All of Springsteen's shows went on sale at the same time on the same day, which I'm sure cause some site crashing problems. I honestly don't remember what they did for "Vertigo", but on the "Elevation" tour I remember U2 staggered the on sale dates for the tour...maybe 6 or 7 shows every Saturday morning, rather than having 40 shows go on sale at the same time. Doesn't it make A LOT more sense to do it that way instead?

Obviously though, regardless, there is something shady going on. I don't know if ticketmaster owns ticketsnow, or if they are just partners, but ethically it's just completely wrong for an official ticket agency to offer links to a broker on their site. I just find that to be amazing.

Here's what I don't get....All of Springsteen's shows went on sale at the same time on the same day, which I'm sure cause some site crashing problems. I honestly don't remember what they did for "Vertigo", but on the "Elevation" tour I remember U2 staggered the on sale dates for the tour...maybe 6 or 7 shows every Saturday morning, rather than having 40 shows go on sale at the same time. Doesn't it make A LOT more sense to do it that way instead?

Obviously though, regardless, there is something shady going on. I don't know if ticketmaster owns ticketsnow, or if they are just partners, but ethically it's just completely wrong for an official ticket agency to offer links to a broker on their site. I just find that to be amazing.

TM owns TicketsNow and on the Vertigo tour it was also staggered sales.

A Letter to Our Fans:

Wow, I'm very impressed and happy that Springsteen and his team have publicly condemned this ticketmaster/ticketsnow situation. :up:

I feel so lucky, I managed to get a GA. Never got the Tickets Now message, and my wait time stayed at less than a minute and I got through.

lucky you.....

....a close friend of my sib's-- who became friends with me over years because we went to SO many concerts {WHo, Bruce, PAtti Smith, U2 & so MNAY more etc} together :lol: didn't get all the tix she ordered and she decided to chose someone else than me for what ever extra tix she got.

I can sort of accept several other people in my place- one set are very close friends of her SO (who is a close friend of my sib's also & a friend of mine for above same reason :giggle: ), or a friend of her's while not as big a Springsteen fan as I am is closer to her. And he dosen't have the kind of $$ to go to a tix broker.

But IF she gave them to some friend's at her office... I'll be really mad, and hurt! We went together with sib & one other person to our first Springsteen show back in 1976, and became Fans for Life! And they all know I can't afford a ticket broker's price like they can, which they sprung for at the last few days before bruce's Magic tour stadium shows.

So right now I'm feeling "BLEAH....." :(

hopefully something will work out......more shows, a radio contest :shrug: :crossedfingers:

well this also doesn't give me big confidence for U2 tix sales... :yikes: :(

I'm sure it won't be as bad as last time with the pre-sale and stuff. The start of the whole Tour was weird last time. How the tour was going to start (early march?) then not...then the whole ticket fiasco!)

I'm sure U2 will go for the spread out ticket sales, ie the first 10-15 shows go on sale on a monday the next 10-15 on Wednesday or something.....

It'll still be hectic, but hopefully smoother than Vertigo. At least this time I don't have to worry about getting tickets for US shows.

Ticketmaster issue & The Boss responds!

Many have heard of the clusterf&^k that occurred when Bruce Springsteen tix went on sale. Well Bruce is usually quite good about these things and when he found out, he and his folk spoke out - and (read the second letter included her) Ticketmaster listened. Hopefully things will be far smoother when U2 tix go on sale.

Read on.

A LETTER TO OUR FANS:
We know there was much confusion regarding Ticketmaster and TicketsNow during last Monday's on-sale dates. We were as confused as you were, as we were given no advance notice of the major changes in the Ticketmaster- TicketsNow world. (Bear in mind that we are not clients of any ticketing company, and that all those arrangements are between venues and ticketing companies.)

We know the many cynical arguments some make in favor of the Ticketmaster system: There are rumors that some artists or managers participate in Ticketmaster charges--we do not. There are rumors that some artists or managers are receiving a percentage of the amount above face value at secondary outlets like TicketsNow-- we do not. Some artists or managers may not perceive there to be a conflict between having the distributor of their tickets in effect "scalping" those same tickets through a secondary company like TicketsNow-- we do.

While many of you have sent notes to us and your local promoters, you may also send accurate informational letters to Albert Lopez of Ticketmaster and he will try to address your questions.

STATEMENT FROM THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF NEW JERSEY'S OFFICE
Division of Consumer Affairs
Press Release

Attorney General
Anne Milgram Division of Consumer Affairs, Director
David Szuchman

For Immediate Release:
February 4, 2009 For Further Information Contact:
Jeff Lamm, 973-504-6327

Attorney General Investigating Ticket Sales for Springsteen Concert

NEWARK - The Office of the Attorney General and the Division of Consumer Affairs are investigating Monday's sale of Bruce Springsteen concerts tickets after consumers complained about problems they encountered during attempted online purchases.

"Consumers are questioning what transpired and if they had an equal opportunity to purchase these concert tickets. We share these concerns and are investigating this matter," Attorney General Anne Milgram said.

More than 250 consumer complaints have been received as of midday today. The Division of Consumer Affairs has placed an icon labeled "Bruce Springsteen/ Ticketmaster Complaints" on its main web page for consumers to link to an online complaint form. The Division's web page is located at http://www.njConsum erAffairs. gov

Consumer Affairs investigators will review submitted complaints to determine how the online sales process was conducted and whether any violations of the state's Consumer Fraud Act or ticket resale law occurred.

We have received the following letter from Irving Azoff, the CEO of Ticketmaster and are reprinting it in its entirety.

AN OPEN LETTER OF APOLOGY TO BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, JON LANDAU AND THE ENTIRE SPRINGSTEEN TOUR TEAM:
While we were genuinely trying to do the right thing for fans in providing more choices when the tickets they requested from the primary on-sale were not available, we clearly missed the mark. Fans are confused and angry, which is the opposite of what we hoped to accomplish. We sincerely apologize to Bruce, his organization and, above all, his fans.

We recognize that we need to change our course. We have committed to Bruce and state publicly here that we have taken down all links for Bruce's shows directing fans from Ticketmaster to TicketsNow. This redirection only occurred as a choice when we could not satisfy fans' specific search request for primary ticket inventory, but to make sure there is no misunderstanding in the future, we also publicly state that we will never again link to TicketsNow in a manner that can possibly create any confusion during a high-demand on-sale. Specifically, we will not present an option to go to TicketsNow from Ticketmaster without the consent of the artist and the venue, both of whom work together to bring the joy of live entertainment to millions of fans.

If any fans inadvertently purchased tickets in the resale marketplace believing in error they were purchasing from the initial on-sale, we will refund the difference between the actual purchase price and the face price of the ticket. (Please don't abuse this good faith gesture - we did not give brokers any preferential access to tickets.)

We are committed to helping deliver the most transparent and best live entertainment experience to fans. We will do better going forward.

Sincerely,
Irving Azoff, CEO, Ticketmaster Entertainment

I got 8 Bruce tix to the April 22 Boston show and will only be using 4. I was going to sell the other 4 to a local ticket broker to make some money back, but just read this. If I can help a U2 fan out, I would be happy to.

$110 Face, hard tickets...not in hand yet.

Bruce is the man. Just because they sell his tickets doesn't mean he won't crush them in public for screwing with his fan base. He could of done this in a more subtle way, but he was making a point on behalf of his audience. :up:

Well...I can say that this does make me very nervous for the upcoming U2 tour. I'm almost considering just accepting the fact that I might not see them. I was a member of Propaganda (which worked wonderfully), I'm a renewed member of U2.com and got presale tix through all their offerings the past two sessions. But I can't do the floor anymore (per Dr's advice) and with the "great" recession may not pay for the "good" seats. It's a frustrating state. I was hoping I could introduce my kids to the live U2 experience, but it doesn't look good for that either. I hope I'm not disappointed by the CD as well. :angry: I'm usually a positive "rose-colored" glasses type person, oh well :(

Back
Top Bottom