Upcoming ticket sales.Hopefully U2 will see that this doesn't happen.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is an odd reaction from Ticketmaster knowing that they have had this "link" set up for MONTHS (if not longer). I remember last spring trying to get Radiohead tickets. When the GA tickets were done, it redirected me to TicketsNow (bumped you completely out of ticketmaster and the onsale).

So, it took Bruce Springsteen complaining and a potential lawsuit from an State AG for Ticketmaster to change their ways?

well done to the boss for standing up to ticketmaster.:applaud: i hope that u2 will have the balls to do the same if anything similar happens on there sale. but i do worry as u2 are very much in bed with live nation. i mean they have all them shares and it wound not be wise too rock the boat.

i would advise anyone if they can is, get there arse down to the box office on the day of sale and buy in person. i'm going to take the day off work and go to wembley stadium or wherever they will be playing in london.

^ I don't reckon that works at all. The touts queue for hours before hand and buy up shitloads of tickets ahead of everyone else in the queue. I strongly believe that if you are online at bang on the hour you will get tickets. In terms of the UK, I don't reckon there will be as much demand as the big Oasis gigs in the summer and they were fairly easy to get hold of after the initial rush.

At worst case scenario if there is no pre-sale and I fail to get tickets on the day, I plan to get em second-hand from the sites or ebay.

Scalper have bots that can can make 9,000 requests for tickets per day. per computer.

They have all address/credit card info automated and can also do use computers to get past the codes.

Whatever happens, U2 (and other bands in general) need to work on a system that works to freeze the scalpers out. Glastonbury has adopted a great will-call system I think it is called - you have to present the credit card that you purchased the tickets with on arrival. I'm not quite sure how this allows people who legitimately want to sell on their tickets from doing so though.

i hope that u2 will have the balls to do the same if anything similar happens on there sale. but i do worry as u2 are very much in bed with live nation. i mean they have all them shares and it wound not be wise too rock the boat.

Quoting from some letter (some 4 years ago):
By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse
U2 of unseemly behaviour, I've only got two words for you...

:wink:

I've spent the last three months building a relationship with the Blockbuster employees who will be selling me my LiveNation tickets. That took a lot of effort. I hope it's not all for not.

Hahahaha! Brilliant!! :applaud:

*wonders if Blockbuster in Canada will also be selling tickets for Live Nation events*

Whatever happens, U2 (and other bands in general) need to work on a system that works to freeze the scalpers out. Glastonbury has adopted a great will-call system I think it is called - you have to present the credit card that you purchased the tickets with on arrival. I'm not quite sure how this allows people who legitimately want to sell on their tickets from doing so though.

AC/DC did this for their premium tickets during this tour - I think it's a great idea.... Although you're right, it means that there is no way of selling if you genuinely can't go to the show (or buying for a friend if you're not attending)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb
i hope that u2 will have the balls to do the same if anything similar happens on there sale. but i do worry as u2 are very much in bed with live nation. i mean they have all them shares and it wound not be wise too rock the boat.

Quoting from some letter (some 4 years ago):

Quote:
By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse
U2 of unseemly behaviour, I've only got two words for you...

I know, but it's getting harder and harder to believe that $$$ aren't influencing decisions more than they should. Although Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam have repeatedly said they already have enough money for several lifetimes, I can't help but wonder that Paul McG and others employed by the U2 machine aren't trying to milk the U2 franchise for all that it's worth, and to hell with making things fair for the fans....

this whole thing is making me sick to my stomach already and has been for months.. :sick: I pray that they will give us a system that will at least work properly. My faith is waning though on that. :depressed: I really think they should do the will call thing for tickets I think it's doable and will cut down on the scalpers. I don't mind doing it that way at all.

I just posted this in B&C, but thought that maybe posters from EYKIW who don't typically post or read over there might be interested, too.

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...ario-are-you-eligible-193267.html#post5841434

The Canadian Press: Lawsuit against Ticketmaster alleges conspiracy to resell tickets at higher prices

Lawsuit against Ticketmaster alleges conspiracy to resell tickets at higher prices

6 hours ago

TORONTO — Ticketmaster is diverting tickets to its online resale site TicketsNow as part of a "disgraceful" conspiracy to force customers to pay the highest possible price for sporting and entertainment events, a class-action lawsuit launched Monday alleges.

The resale practice violates anti-scalping provisions laid out in Ontario's Ticket Speculation Act, the statement of action filed with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice contends.

The defendants "wrongfully, unlawfully (and) maliciously conspired" to sell tickets at a higher price, states the suit, which seeks $500 million in damages for the conspiracy and $10 million for punitive damages.

"Ticketmaster and Ticketmaster Canada divert consumer traffic from their websites to the TicketsNow website," the court documents read.

"This practice is designed to ensure the sale of tickets at the highest possible price, and, in all cases, at a price substantially higher than the price at which the tickets were first issued."

The allegations have not been proven in court and Ticketmaster has not yet filed a statement of defence.

Ticketmaster purchased TicketsNow last year for US$265 million, and takes a slice of every ticket resold through TicketsNow in addition to the original service charges it levies when tickets are first sold.

The Vancouver-and Toronto-based law firms that launched the suit said people who were allegedly overcharged when they bought tickets from Ticketmaster or TicketsNow.com after February 2007 will be represented.

The suit was filed on behalf of Henryk Krajewski of Toronto, who in September 2008 purchased two tickets for a Smashing Pumpkins show at Massey Hall from TicketsNow for $533.65, the court documents state. The tickets would have cost about $130 if they had been available from Ticketmaster.

"Henryk pleads that the conduct of the defendants was high-handed, outrageous, reckless, wanton, entirely without care, deliberate, callous, disgraceful, wilful and motivated by economic considerations," reads the statement.

A Ticketmaster representative wasn't available Monday to respond to the suit.

In a recent interview with The Canadian Press, a company official said they do not divert tickets to TicketsNow or give the resale site any preferential access or treatment.

The company claimed it's providing consumers with a resale service that they want, and one that guarantees resale tickets are not counterfeit.

Last week, Bruce Springsteen said he was furious with Ticketmaster for redirecting his fans to TicketsNow, where tickets for his homecoming show at the New Jersey Meadowlands were being offered at hundreds of dollars above face value.

New Jersey's attorney general, Anne Milgram, said last week she had asked for more information about the company's sales practices after the state received more than 1,000 complaints. Milgram said redirecting ticket buyers to TicketsNow may violate the state's consumer fraud act.

Lawyer Jay Strosberg of Sutts, Strosberg LLP, one of the two firms behind the Ontario lawsuit, said there has been a lot of interest in the Ticketmaster-TicketsNow situation since Springsteen spoke out.

"Somebody has to address this type of conduct," Strosberg said.

"How the transaction happens, in the sense that the primary market actually also controls the secondary market, raises a lot of questions that deserve answers."

Strosberg said people deserve access to entertainment at reasonable prices.

"As far as we're concerned, this conduct may violate the Ticket Speculation Act."

Ticketmaster has said in response to prior complaints that the company's ticket-selling system is fair and doesn't violate the law.

The class action legal website:

Ticketmaster/TicketsNow class action

1. Sutts, Strosberg LLP (Windsor and Toronto) and Branch MacMaster (Vancouver) are counsel in a proposed class action against Ticketmaster, TicketsNow and two other Ticketmaster companies.

2. The action has been commenced on behalf of all persons in Ontario who purchased a ticket on or after February 9, 2007 from Ticketmaster or TicketsNow for an event in the Province of Ontario.

3. The plaintiff alleges that the defendants conspired to breach Ontario’s “anti-scalping” legislation.

4. The plaintiff also alleges that Ticketmaster has and continues to deliberately limit the number of tickets that are sold in the primary market at face price and instead, diverts tickets to the secondary market where they can be sold for amounts that exceed their face value.

5. The plaintiff seeks, among other thing, damages in an amount equal to the difference between the price the class members’ paid for the tickets and the face price of the tickets.

6. If you purchased a ticket from Ticketmaster or from TicketsNow for an event in Ontario, you may be able to participate in this action. To do so, please provide the information requested on the Communication page of this website or call one of the following lawyers:

Yay! I hope something comes of this and that they'll not only nail these bastards in Ontario, but that other jurisdictions will join in to stop their insanely shitty business practices.

Spread the word. If you or anyone you know of has purchased tickets from TM in Ontario since Feb '07, take a minute to check out the website and submit your information. You may get your fees refunded eventually, and most importantly, TM will be stopped from participating in what is essentially scalping their own tickets.

Not from Ontario, but the issue still pisses you off? Bring it to the attention of a state politician. Let them know you're dissatisfied with Ticketmaster's practices, and that other jurisdictions are starting to do something about it.

It's so easy to prevent scalpers do their work...

But the problem is, LiveNation, Ticketmaster just don't care, they care about $$. The recent debacle on the Springsteen-tickets-selling is again a perfect example. They not only give a platform for trading tickets for high prices with these online auctions, they even make abuse of it themselves! (and McGuiness once mentioned they were also interested in this system...).

Livenation/Ticketmaster are monopolist in the buiseness, and the fact that they not only are concert promotors, but also ticket sellers, venue owners!!! (for the Dutch: that's the reason U2 comes to the horrible echo-builing AmsterdamArena, because LiveNation has a contract there...), are responsible for merchandise....etc plus the fact that bands like U2 are involved in these companies (which makes them responsible too)!!! results in only one loser: the music-fan.

If they really cared about the music-fans, tehy would apply a system where you have to buy your ticket with an ID-number (passport, driving licence). Check it at the site and done.

.... and most importantly, TM will be stopped from participating in what is essentially scalping their own tickets.

well said, scalping their own tickets. And this is what LiveNation is doing too (in a slightly different way) In stead of hunting after scapers, they become scalpers themselves

If there is a scheme that makes money for U2 or their partners then U2 will adopt it. Hate to say that. Would love to be proven wrong in the coming months when U2 tickets go on sale. After jumping into bed with Live Nation I don't see how U2 can condemn anything Live Nation do. They are business partners. And, I stand corrected on this, but U2 have never really had a decent ticketing system for fans and that isn't about to change now.

Live Nation and Ticketmaster to merge
16 mins ago

(Reuters) – Ticketmaster Entertainment Inc (TKTM.O) and Live Nation are merging, the companies said on Tuesday. Highlights:

* Live nation and Ticketmaster Entertainment to combine in merger of equals to create world's premier Live entertainment company

* Says enterprise value of approximately $2.5 billion

* Says it and Live Nation shareholders will each own approximately 50

percent of the combined company

* Says shareholders will receive 1.384 shares of Live Nation common stock for

each share of Ticketmaster

* Says combined company will be led by Barry Diller as chairman of the board

* Says Live Nation entertainment's board will consist of 14 directors, seven

from each company

* Says combined co led by Michael Rapino as CEO and president

Back
Top Bottom