Unpopular U2 opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
One of the lengthiest and most enduring threads over on the RateYourMusic forums is the "unpopular musical opinions" thread, so I thought I'd bring it here, with a more specific U2 focus. What unpopular U2 opinions do you hold? Do you think Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come is actually U2's best song? Do you long for U2 to officially release Womanfish? Do you hope to never hear Streets live again? Go nuts - doesn't matter whether it's love for something often overlooked, disliked, or generally just not considered highly, or hate for something usually held in very high regard.

I'll begin:

- I think Treasure is one of the top five songs from 1980-83, if we're talking exclusively studio versions. Perhaps the top song.
- I presently enjoy Spanish Eyes and Luminous Times more than all but one track on The Joshua Tree.
- I think One is one of U2's ten worst songs (as if anybody didn't know that already) and literally fell asleep during it one of the times I saw U2 3D.
- Passengers should be considered a U2 album. Especially because it's one of the top three, possibly top two, albums they've released. It's a masterpiece up there with UF and JT.
- As time goes by, I become progressively less and less interested in Streets. I still think it's a good song, but ... I skip it more often than not these days, especially the studio version.
- October is one of U2's top five albums.

Now it's your turn.

I'll bite.

-Zooropa is U2's finest recorded moment.
-The album version of Love Is Blindness is mediocre.
-Bono isn't fat, he's big boned.

-"Is That All" is a great closer
-ZOOROPA is one of their greatest albums
- "Fast Cars" should've been on every single BOMB release, and btw it's the best song from that period
- "Window In The Skies" is actually a decent tune (in that guilty pleasure category)
-"Native Son" and "Vertigo" were both fucked from the beginning
- "Running To Stand Still" doesn't get enough praise, it is probably their most timeless and mature song to date

I love these songs:

Is That All?
With A Shout
Red Light
The Refugee
Love Rescue Me
Miami
The Playboy Mansion
Peace On Earth

Last edited:
-Fast Cars is the best song to come out of the How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb sessions.
-Big Girls Are Best is their worst officially released song.
-Stateless is one of the band's best songs of the last decade.

- The second half of JT is better than the first.
- Babyface is a good song.
- I never liked WTSHNN much at all.
- AB is much worse than Zooropa.
- October is a great album.
- Pride is corny and overtly romantic.
- Larry's nose isn't that big.

just a friendly mod reminder since the thread is in its infancy, i'd just like to ask everyone who reads and contributes to remember the thread's meaning. it's for unpopular opinions so there's bound to be posts you don't agree with, which is okay of course. but please don't let this turn into a thread for bickering and arguing.

aaaaand now for my list! :hyper:

- i too hate one. a lot.
- i hate their acoustic songs. anyone who was friends with me during the vertigo tour might remember me wanting to cry/almost falling asleep during the acoustic encore. i don't even like the acoustic sats. :cool:
- i love elvis presley and america.
- i can't listen to side 1 of jt unless i'm in the mood. it's not their fault but it plays like a greatest hits record.
- i love fast cars. and big girls are best.
- summer rain and all of their b-sides from that era really are better than anything but on atyclb.
- yahweh is the second worst U2 song of all time.
- i like some days are better than others. and tryin' to throw your arms around the world.

Btw, this thread brought popmofo out into EYKIW! :ohmy: :wink:

:reject:

just a friendly mod reminder since the thread is in its infancy, i'd just like to ask everyone who reads and contributes to remember the thread's meaning. it's for unpopular opinions so there's bound to be posts you don't agree with, which is okay of course. but please don't let this turn into a thread for bickering and arguing.

I don't agree with this post and would like to bicker with you for hours.
:wink:

-North and South of the River is one of the best tracks from the Pop era.

What I believe that is strange:

- Streets is great, but gets old.
- Four albums are better than JT
- Including Zooropa and Pop
- The Elevation Tour was essentially a joke.
- U2 acoustic is even more of a joke.
- Vertigo is awesome
- Native Son is better
- The album version of Yahweh is the best version of it
- The second leg of the Vertigo tour wasn't very good
- Xanax and Wine is much, much better than Fast Cars
- Lemon > Stay (although I love Stay)

-The October album is fantastic
-Vertigo is a great rock song but it gets old.
-Please is a great song
-mysterious ways is one of their worst
-Windows in the sky is one of the best new songs
-The Unforgettable Fire is the 2nd best 80's album

-October is a great album
-Zooropa is one of their best albums, if not the best.
-Lemon is an epic masterpiece
-Some Days Are Better Than Others and Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around the World are good songs.
-I dislike Bad and All I Want Is You. New Years Day is worst of all.
-War and the The Unforgettable Fire are terrible albums
-I actually don't mind their two recent albums...in fact, I like them.

The album version of Please is superior to the single version.
Bono was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

Apparently my 'unpopular' opinions are not all that unpopular
- I really love Zooropa
- I really hate One
- I pretty much think Flower Child could have replaced any of the tracks on the last 2/3 of ATYCLB
- I don't think U2 sucks just yet

- I reckon that the Cry became Is That All? and nobody here seems to care.
- New Year's Day, to me, feels like their most 'balanced' song in terms of musical contributions.
- October needs a lot more glory.
- There isn't really that much bad stuff in U2's catalogue, considering. Except for the original versions of Elevation and SATS.
- Despite the crap we give him, Larry is (was?) a pretty creative drummer at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom