Unpopular U2 opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ever-so-rare Assver thread (ignoring the superthreads, of course)

:blinks in the sunlight:

So this is what Interference looks like outside of the Superthread.

- The second half of JT is better than the first.

I just about view this as objective fact.

- i hate their acoustic songs. anyone who was friends with me during the vertigo tour might remember me wanting to cry/almost falling asleep during the acoustic encore. i don't even like the acoustic sats. :cool:
- i love elvis presley and america.
- i can't listen to side 1 of jt unless i'm in the mood. it's not their fault but it plays like a greatest hits record.
- summer rain and all of their b-sides from that era really are better than anything but on atyclb.
- i like some days are better than others.

I'm pretty much with all of these. And SATS is one of the worst offenders when it comes to "boring acoustic songs". It was always better electric. Even when they fucked it up. The live electric version is the only version of SATS I really like a good deal. The studio version is OK, but I like Edge's live guitar tone.

- The Elevation Tour was essentially a joke.
- U2 acoustic is even more of a joke.

Couldn't agree more. The third leg of Elevation is one of the worst tour legs U2 have ever undertaken.

Speaking of bad tours and unpopular opinions, ZooTV was only a shade better than Elevation.

Speaking of bad tours and unpopular opinions, ZooTV was only a shade better than Elevation.

:lmao:

All I have right now is the fact that I like both Babyface and Elvis Presley in Americaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....I'm sure there's more though :scratch:

- I love U2 accoustic
- I love their last two albums
- I don't think AB is their best album
- I don't think Zooropa is a masterpiece, I usually skip most of the songs and haven't listened to it in more than a year
- Acrobat isn't the song I would die to hear live
- I loved U2's last two tours more than all the others
- I only watched the PopMart DVD once and don't like the tour, though I love the Pop album
- I hate U2's image of the Pop era
- I believe U2 should take the time they need to finish the new album
- Larry has never been particularly attractive to me :reject:

- I like POP

- I don't like ATYCLB

- I like HTDAAB

- Passengers = U2 album

- Elevation tour = their worst tour

- I like the early years (Boy->War/UABRS) and the 90's waaaaaay better than (the most popular) UF-JT-R&H era

- JT should be a double album

- I hate U2's image of the JT/R&H era :doh:

- "I still haven't :blahblah:" and "Stuck in a :blahblah:" are THE two worst U2 songs ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- I love U2, I think they're OK, you know, in general :wink:

- Not that it needs saying, but I hate One too. I'd like to think that I hate it more than anyone else here, it actually is my least favourite song by anyone, ever.

- Zoo TV was a shark jump.

- ISHFWILF is really dreary and boring. So is RTSS. And I always thought the only particularly good thing about the studio BTBS is the ONE HUNRED, TWO HUNRED bit.

- Surrender is fucking choice. Is that an unpopular opinion or not? Nobody really seems to talk about it.

- Everytime U2 covers any full song, (with the surprising exception of AATW) God comes into existence and starts to cry.

- U2's image was pretty good in the 80s.

drowning man is the world's best love song.
vertigo is total crap. a perfect example of pandering too the mainstream while art itself takes a ride in the back seat.
ATYCLB and HTDAAB is a perfect example of the "wallpaper music" that bono used to claim u2 was against during the start off their career.
acoustic u2 sucks.
"one" post ZooTv sucks.
bono needs to only open his mouth when it's time to sing. the rest off the time just shut the hell up.

Seriously. That was hilarious! C'mon Bonnie... One is better than All Summer Long. :depressed:

One is not the least musically accomplished song of all time, it's just the least favourite of every single song I've heard in my life. There are some songs that are an absolute bore, but you can ignore them. I can't ignore One. It's played a lot - radio and live, it has an annoying melody and it's just a really shitty song. Furthermore, it's a highly regarded song by a band that (contrary to popular belief) I love, so I'm constantly exposed to it. Whereas All Summer Long is faddish, and though it's also absolutely horrible, at least I can laugh at it when it's on. When One is on, I want to kick down a door and scream. I hate it even more because I have to explain why I hate it. Why do I gotta? I don't like the colour yellow either. Do I gotta explain that?

There. Now you all know how to torture me.

bono needs to only open his mouth when it's time to sing. the rest off the time just shut the hell up.

Couldn't agree more! These days Bono seems to either bore me with his excessive hyperbole or embarrass me with stunts like hanging out with bikini clad teen girls/doing animal impressions on stage. Ugh!

Wait, sorry guys. One isn't my least favourite song of all time! "Only The Good Die Young" by Billy Joel is! Sorry, you can go back to doing things now.

I've recently given up on this site's discussions... and this thread reminds me of why.

I mean, I take this particular topic in the good fun it's meant to be in, but regardless I find the U2 fans on "Everything you know is Wrong" to be bizarre. I occasionally contribute to discussions of some other artists I like on other websites, but I have never seen the rampant egotism that passes for commentary on this site.

I don't know... Is it just me, or is it (a) unimportant, and (b) entirely uninteresting to discuss "unpopular opinions" (in the case of this thread -- not meaning to pick on it specifically) and how much U2 have sucked since 1998 (in the case of this site in general).

I've never before seen fansites where the contributors spend 90% of the discussions dismissing the band's greatest songs and competing for superlatives to describe how wretched the group's new music and general ethos is. Frankly, it's bizarre.

Okay, rant over...

lol. You have yellow in your sig. :tongue:

But it's with blue, and when blue goes with yellow, it becomes awesome.

eagles2.jpg

I've recently given up on this site's discussions... and this thread reminds me of why.

I mean, I take this particular topic in the good fun it's meant to be in, but regardless I find the U2 fans on "Everything you know is Wrong" to be bizarre. I occasionally contribute to discussions of some other artists I like on other websites, but I have never seen the rampant egotism that passes for commentary on this site.

I don't know... Is it just me, or is it (a) unimportant, and (b) entirely uninteresting to discuss "unpopular opinions" (in the case of this thread -- not meaning to pick on it specifically) and how much U2 have sucked since 1998 (in the case of this site in general).

I've never before seen fansites where the contributors spend 90% of the discussions dismissing the band's greatest songs and competing for superlatives to describe how wretched the group's new music and general ethos is. Frankly, it's bizarre.

Okay, rant over...

Okay!

Couldn't agree more. The third leg of Elevation is one of the worst tour legs U2 have ever undertaken.

agreed. i used to like zootv and thought it was awesome and was jealous of those who got to see it. then i realized it was one huge cliche. and not in a good way, i just :rolleyes: at all the crap like "did you come here to watch tv" and "off with the horns, on with the show" and just...everything. my favourite era had the lamest tour ever.

and elevation was just lame. i remember watching the concert, in boston or whatever? it was so underwhelming. nothing special to it at all. it's weird how something like, say, the jt tour was also "nothing special" (as in no elaborate stage set-up, no costumes, etc.) yet i find that era much more interesting to watch on tv than elevation.

agreed. i used to like zootv and thought it was awesome and was jealous of those who got to see it. then i realized it was one huge cliche. and not in a good way, i just :rolleyes: at all the crap like "did you come here to watch tv" and "off with the horns, on with the show" and just...everything. my favourite era had the lamest tour ever.

What about, like, the performances? Those were pretty good sometimes.

The only major flaw of ZooTV was the static setlists IMO.

Performances aside, Bono getting picked up by fat guys on JT tour > all that oh TV is so dumb and irony and blah blah blah in Zoo TV.

Anyway as I was saying, I don't think U2 play enough shows in America!

- Streets live is pretty mmeh once the opening chords are over
- Boy and UF work much better as cohesive albums than JT and AB
- Wild Honey is a very good song
- R&H the movie is an embarrassment to watch
- ZooTV in Sydney is the worst-looking U2 concert DVD ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom