Understanding 'wrong 1st single' for NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
There's been awhile to ponder this now, and I have to admit I don't really agree with the band's comments that they released the wrong first single. (Sorry I dont have reference links, but I know i've heard at least Bono and Adam both echo it somewhere)

I think given the same question 10 times, at least 6-7 times Boots would be the answer for 1st single. Maybe 2-3 times Magnificant would win. And the 1 wild card choice would be Eno's suggestion of MoS.
I think it is the obvious choice becuase it has all the charactistics of past U2 1st singles. You may argue it's not as good, but it does have a similar catchy/repeatable guitar hook to what's found in Vertigo, Discotheque, The Fly. Now you could argue the success of those as 1st single too, but I'm just trying to say that they obvious like that type of song as 1st single choice. (Whereas MoS would have been way out in left-field compared to their past choices)

I think these "wrong 1st single' comments stem more from its lack of success of breaking thru and catching on. Which in some sense, does make it a wrong choice, but it also implies that things could have been better with a different choice. And that's what I guess I'm trying to say I don't agree with.

Bumping Magnificant from 2nd single to 1st single may have made a slightly bigger impact, but if it was truely that powerful of a single I think it would have made a larger dent than it did as 2nd single. Purely as a selfish U2-fan, I could have enjoyed MoS as 1st single just as much as any one else on here. But I doubt it would have commericially/mainstream made a huge impact (which is how they seem to be dictating success of singles). As a comparison, I dont see it being as big as what SYCMIOYO was as 3rd single off Bomb.
No other tracks on NLOTH stand out to me as the answer to being a better choice as 1st single than Boots. Not the album version of Crazy, although the 360 remix version could have been a semi-decent 2 or 3rd single imo.

Sorry for rambling, but interested in any thoughts....

I think given the same question 10 times, at least 6-7 times Boots would be the answer for 1st single. Maybe 2-3 times Magnificant would win. And the 1 wild card choice would be Eno's suggestion of MoS.
sounds about right to me

I love the album to death
but I don't think any of the other songs would have done better as a first single
while they could have given Magnificent a go

Sorry but this is the most tired U2 discussion over the last 3 years around here. The only reason people lean on this 'Boots' excuse is because it's the one the band gave them.

Otherwise it makes little sense.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Moment of Surrender should have been the lead single. No edit. It couldn't have flopped much harder than Boots, and it's a 100 times better song. Worse comes to worst, it could be The Fly or Numb of its time. Sheer balls, great music. Can't mock U2 for that. Bono being fat and bald and a giant turd, sure, but not for the music.

It makes complete sense to me.

It's a horrible single. There may not have been a lot of other choices for lead single on NLOTH, but that still doesn't make "Get On Your Boot"
any better as a lead-off hitter. Love the hell out of that album btw.

And I came up with that thought all on my own.

It makes complete sense to me.

It's a horrible single. There may not have been a lot of other choices for lead single on NLOTH, but that still doesn't make "Get On Your Boot"
any better as a lead-off hitter. Love the hell out of that album btw.

And I came up with that thought all on my own.

Completely agree :up:
When Boots was released, i immediately thought it was weak, lying to myself that once it grew on me, i'd like it. The negative reactions towards Boots from friends and family made me suspect it would fail way before i found out it actually flopped.

My choice would have been No Line On The Horizon for the first single.

In pondering my own question, that is the one that I consider and say maybe. Would it have been a huge Beautiful Day single?- No. But it makes me wonder if the whole "feel" and "taste" of the new impending U2 album/marketing machine would have changed and been different from how it did go down. And perhaps more successful.

Boots was a lackluster song, without a strong singalong hook in the chorus, and for the average music listener, a little "been there done that" after Vertigo. It also wasn't a strong indicator of the rest of the album (though it was probably the closest thing to a mainstream hit).

Yeah, don't like Boots much either. It got a bit of radio play where I live, so it caused people who had never heard a U2 song before to think that they are a terrible band. I hated it, until I heard the 360 version. I quite liked it.

Yeah, don't like Boots much either. It got a bit of radio play where I live, so it caused people who had never heard a U2 song before to think that they are a terrible band. I hated it, until I heard the 360 version. I quite liked it.

I liked it live. I listen to the Fish out of Water mix every so often, but the album one hasn't gotten played in quite awhile.

Get on Your Boots AND Magnificent were both terrible choices for singles. U2 was at the point where they needed to break new ground again. The public new it and they new it. As an album, NLOTH did that. But these two songs sound like what has gone before. GOYB sounded like the latest child of Vertigo. Magnificent is beautiful U2 by numbers.

They needed to push the more challenging material in 2009. MOS was absolutely the song they should have released (unedited) for the lead single.

Get on Your Boots AND Magnificent were both terrible choices for singles. U2 was at the point where they needed to break new ground again. The public new it and they new it. As an album, NLOTH did that. But these two songs sound like what has gone before. GOYB sounded like the latest child of Vertigo. Magnificent is beautiful U2 by numbers.

They needed to push the more challenging material in 2009. MOS was absolutely the song they should have released (unedited) for the lead single.

As usual, I agree. I don't think that MOS would have done very well on top 40 charts, but that has become more or less meaningless lately. It would have given them far more credibility than Boots in serious music communities (although I like Boots... there's more to that song than initially meets the eye). And I think that would have done U2 a lot of good. Wanting popularity isn't necessarily a bad thing, but being on top 40 charts isn't really the best metric of overall popularity right now.

I think NLOTH would have been a good choice. Not as out there as MOS, it's more in step with what they seem to like to put out there first, but it's also more unique. :hmm: And yes I believe I may have posted this before in the last couple of years, but eh, nothing else is going on.

As usual, I agree. I don't think that MOS would have done very well on top 40 charts, but that has become more or less meaningless lately. It would have given them far more credibility than Boots in serious music communities (although I like Boots... there's more to that song than initially meets the eye). And I think that would have done U2 a lot of good. Wanting popularity isn't necessarily a bad thing, but being on top 40 charts isn't really the best metric of overall popularity right now.

I'm a big fan of GOYB, but I didn't listen to it casually the way most people out there did. I imagine you didn't either. It's a song of wonderful depth and power. But at first blush it sounds like Vertigo Part Deux. They needed to be obviously standing on new ground.

(Btw, I can't believe I typed "knew" TWICE without a K! Arghhhhh!)

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Moment of Surrender should have been the lead single. No edit. It couldn't have flopped much harder than Boots, and it's a 100 times better song. Worse comes to worst, it could be The Fly or Numb of its time. Sheer balls, great music. Can't mock U2 for that. Bono being fat and bald and a giant turd, sure, but not for the music.

Absolutely agree with this 100%. MOS may well have flopped, but couldn't have flopped worse than Boots did and at least nobody could have accused them of being predictable or lacking in balls!

I quite like Boots but it feels like too many gimmicky effects and noises were thrown in for no good reason, including the "let me in the sound" part which sounds like it was totally shoehorned in. Though the central riff and the "you don't know how beautiful you are.." part are sublime.

if the band were trying to market the album to Interference, then yes
I doubt that was the intention though

I have trouble finding any indications from charts or radio playlists suggesting the world was awaiting more challenging material from U2 in 2009
unless Adele, Lady Gaga and Coldplay count as challenging

still doesn't make Boots a particularly good first single though

This is all correct.

While we'll never know if MOS would have helped NLOTH's sales, but at the very least, it would have been a courageous move on U2's part and would have been seen as such. I do think, at a minimum, it would have changed the tone of the press accounts and "vibe" surrounding the record. And if it still didn't sell well, they would be seen as failing, yes...but failing with great ambition, rather than an attempt to pander.

Between allowing the record company to meddle in the recording of NLOTH, going conservative with the first single (and make no mistake, it was a conservative, "safe" choice...at least it was seen that way at the time), and later essentially abandoning the album in the tour, I think U2 showed an reluctance to be adventurous (indeed a lack of courage) that has characterised their approach since they got stung so bad with Pop. The success of ATYCLB and Bomb only reinforced this instinct.

Boots is THE worst single U2 has ever released. It is a horrible song and should,especially after all these years to mill it over, be an embarrassment to the band and fans alike!!!

The general public took one listen to GOYB, didn't like it and thought "U2's new album sucks", and moved on. NLOTH, like POP, was screwed before it was even released.

I, as a hardcore U2 fan, took one listen to GOYB and though I tried to be excited, I knew it wasn't a good song, and that the public wouldn't like it, and that the album wouldn't fare well because of this.

Does anybody think boots may have catched on more if it had been used in an itunes advert?there were talks that broken down to have it in one like vertgo.

Boots was played a fair bit on the radio here in the uk i think it charted at number 12.

There was a massive delay in the video coming out here.one of the main tv channels here had
The preimer of it on primetime tv but it got canceld.

The songs alright not a u2 classic though

I think Boots might've been better had they worked on it a little longer. The Live version was really good, so perhaps without the cringeworthy sexy boots line, and with the live arrangement it would've been a better single.

Boots is shit, it was getting a bad reaction...and what do they do? They continued to push it HARD. They were so wrapped up in having another Vertigo, they didn't have the foresight to say to themselves: "Guys, this song has crashed and burned. Let's stop pushing it, just let it drift into the ether". So really they fucked up twice - first releasing it at all, and second continuing to push it when they should have known trying to sell a turd to the public is a fruitless exercise.

My choice would have been No Line On The Horizon for the first single.
agreed. i think it would've been a great choice (certainly couldn't have been worse than boots at least), definitely shouldn't have been dropped live either. though had it been released as a single, it surely wouldn't have been dropped live as it would've had greater recognition among the casual fans.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'Breathe'?

That song sounded fresh (for U2 standards) & is a pretty easy song for people to get into. But, MOS, NLOTH, or Breathe should have lead the charge. All bold, awesome, epic songs that define the album way more than GOYB.

U2 should have released 3 singles, in the following order:

Breathe (b-side: NLOTH/Cedars of Lebanon (maybe))
Moment of Surrender (b-side: Unknown Caller/Pez Being Boring)
Magnificent (or remix) (b-side: I'll Go Crazy/White As Snow/other Magnificent remix)

/thread

gvox said:
U2 should have released 3 singles, in the following order:

Breathe (b-side: NLOTH, Cedars of Lebanon maybe)
Moment of Surrender (b-side: Unknown Caller, Pez Being Boring)
Magnificent (or remix) (b-side: White As Snow, I'll Go Crazy)

/thread

Not a lot to argue with here, except I'd prefer at least one b-side on each be an unreleased song.

If I remember correctly I was one of the first Interlanders to post here how absolutely stunned that this craptacular of a song was released as a first single. The Band was misguided on alot of fronts on this decision, all of which has been pointed out here. I hope going forward that the person or group of people who decided this, will not have a say on the next lead single.

I often wonderer with the so-called "stable of songs" that is reported in various stages of completion how this piece of crap was allowed on the album at all.

My pick for first single would have been MoS not sure it would have done any worse than Boots did.

My pick for first single would have been MoS not sure it would have done any worse than Boots did.

It couldn't possibly..people would hear Bono's opening "I tied myself with wiiiiire!!"

and said "holy fuck, Bono's back" and it would've been all over from there on out

I do think a shorter version something along the lines of the edit I made a while back, would be more suitable for radio play.

Back
Top Bottom