Understanding 'wrong 1st single' for NLOTH - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #61
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 07:20 PM
The guyliner was probably one of the lowest moments in U2 history for me.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocomet View Post
While I didn't have a problem with him in eyeliner, I couldn't see the general public warming up to an alter ego which was supposed to be Elvis' deceased twin brother. I know he never stepped out on stage and said hey that's who I am, but he said that was his idea in an interview. I don't knock him for having the guts to wear it (and I say it that way only because he never did it before: The AB drag shots don't count) and try it anyway though. I'm sure he had some fun with it.
Why would the AB drag shot don't count ? He's wearing more than just guyliner, not to mention old Macphisto on tour.

I think it was an interesting idea, but somehow it never got evolved.

U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #63
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:20 PM
Hey guys, don't you think Pop would have been a bigger album if they had released Super City Mania, Bono grew out his hair and Adam was dating a super model at the time?

I also think the Spurs would have won on Thursday if they made more baskets.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #64
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
Why would the AB drag shot don't count ? He's wearing more than just guyliner, not to mention old Macphisto on tour.

I think it was an interesting idea, but somehow it never got evolved.
Because it (the drag dress up) was for a photo shoot. And Macphisto was only on stage. He wore the eyeliner a few years ago on and off stage, even when doing every day things like walking down the street. So it seemed he was trying to sort of evolve it somehow, but yeah I think he abandoned it when no one liked it.
bonocomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
For the first time I'm now hearing Stand Up Comedy on the radio. And fuck me. It sounds good.

Don't care what the haters think. This song would have been a good single. Such a shame they never played it live.
I think it was a great song. I think it's a shame they didn't play it live, but I'm not voting for it being a single.
Niceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
Sorry but this is the most tired U2 discussion over the last 3 years around here. The only reason people lean on this 'Boots' excuse is because it's the one the band gave them.

Otherwise it makes little sense.
Not true.

I recall a wonderful cartoon done at @U2 where the artist dissected GOYB. She stated it was like getting a diamond ring from her husband but with the most unusual and even questionable design. The excitement of a diamond ring - just like new U2 - is there. And like the diamond part of the ring, there are some great aspects to the song. But a lot is unusual and even questionable.

Furthermore, DJ's weren't playing the song as they said it was the worst first single by U2 since "Discotheque".

My big problem with the song is that it tries too much to be like "Vertigo #2".

In other words, there was a LOT of questioning by critics and fans WELL before U2 ever hopped on that bandwagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Hey guys, don't you think Pop would have been a bigger album if they had released Super City Mania, Bono grew out his hair and Adam was dating a super model at the time?

I also think the Spurs would have won on Thursday if they made more baskets.
Sarcasm noted. You are right - U2 could have released "Staring at the Sun" first for "Pop" and "Magnificent" first for NLOTH and the albums could have sold the exact same way.

But logic dictates otherwise. "Discotheque" did reach the Top 10, but mostly because it was simply "new U2". It debuted at that spot and rapidly fell thereafter. In contrast, "Staring" behaved the same way "Beautiful Day" did a few years later - it slowly climbed the charts, peaked and lingered, people enjoyed the song and requested it and then it slowly declined. That song helped "Pop" survive in 1997.

I have no idea what "Magnificent" would have done. It did break into the Hot 100, but dropped out after a week. Was it too little too late for U2 with NLOTH for that song to make a difference? Not sure, but had that been the first single instead of second, my bet is that it would have made a far greater impression and lingered on the charts.

Heck, I'd even go with MOS as the single - something so different from U2 that even if it wasn't a huge hit, it may have given DJ's, critics and fans pause. That soulful piece earned U2 a lot of respect from their peers (and fans), but the public didn't hear it. If U2 wanted to do something different, MOS would have been the way to go.

But again, your sarcastic point stands. We won't know.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #67
45:33

Local Time: 10:20 AM
Discotheque fucking rules.

Fuck Larry.

BOOMCHA! BOOMCHA!
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #68
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04
This.
LadySpinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #69
Babyface

Marik,

I agree with you 100%!'❕
adarkag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #70
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

Fuck Larry.

BOOMCHA! BOOMCHA!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #71
War Child

Local Time: 12:20 AM
for me Magnificent was the obvious lead single- follow up with Breathe- after that there are no real singles left- an edited MOS or NLOTH maybe

GOYB is a great live track- but doesn't really work as well on the studio version

in the grand scheme of crap lead singles it's right up there- Madonna recently matched it's crapness with the dismal lead single from MDNA
djparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #72
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
discotheque fucking rules.

Fuck larry.

Boomcha! Boomcha!
amen.
The Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #73
Babyface

Local Time: 08:20 PM
For me, No Line would have been a good kick off, and I agree that no song 'really' had that Single flavor to it. However, Stand Up Comedy riff is a BLATANT ripoff of KISS 'SHE' from Dressed to Kill. Its almost disappointing how much alike the riffs are.
Achtung Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:20 PM
1st single should have been no line on the hoizon in my opinion. It was a different route showing something abit different then a simple riff song (vertigo/get on your boots)and it was also the title track which would of got the name of the new album out there more.

Then id have released magnificent as the 2nd single just to show that there is some classic u2 sounding songs on the album.

Breathe would have been my choice for 3rd single just because its a great song!

I think get on your boots did effect the perception of no line on the horizon to the general music buying public (not us fans) the song didnt go down well with non u2 fans (or alot of u2 fans) which probaly put off certain people buying it.

Whenever i talk to someone that hasnt listened to no line on the horizon but has heard get on your boots there opinion is "o it all sounds the same now anyway" thats what get on your boots did

The album did 5 million copies so it cannot be classed as a flop.coldplay are just about to crash through that number with there latest album.thats with number 1 singles,lots of radio/tv play and alot of promotion. Something no line didnt really have.I hate to bring coldplay up but im just showing an example of the current record sale market for other big bands.
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post

Whenever i talk to someone that hasnt listened to no line on the horizon but has heard get on your boots there opinion is "o it all sounds the same now anyway" thats what get on your boots did

The album did 5 million copies so it cannot be classed as a flop.coldplay are just about to crash through that number with there latest album.thats with number 1 singles,lots of radio/tv play and alot of promotion. Something no line didnt really have.I hate to bring coldplay up but im just showing an example of the current record sale market for other big bands.
I hear ya - GOYB was an attempt at "Vertigo Part 2" and it didn't work. And fans had a right to complain.

However, there is a contradiction. ALL of Coldplay sounds the same to my ears. "Yellow" sounds the same as their recent stuff (only "Clocks" stands out a bit because of that haunting piano - but that song still blends in with the rest). Yet, people sop it up! Coldplay could probably re-release an older album and people would drink it in like it was new. I'm really not sure why. It's not great pop, it's not great singing, it's not great rock, it's not very innovative, they aren't all that handsome - just kind of melancholy music. It's pleasant, but forgettable, IMO. I guess I'm the odd one out, though, as people adore them.

So it is odd that when U2 dares to sound like U2, people reject them. But when another artist makes album after album that sounds the same, people love it. If that same artist dares branch out, they are rejected. Interesting...