Uber version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It isn't mentioned in the Amazon product description, so I wasn't sure.

I noticed that too, but U2.com has it, and it seems to be in the photo on the left side of the picture, even on Amazon's site, it's in the photo. I know someone posted an unpacking video somewhere, it should be in there! I haven't watched it yet.

I've got the super edition ordered for me as a gift from someone else. Sure, I'd love the uber set. It'd be nice to have the sunglasses. I'm starting to collect vinyl, so I'm probably most bummed about not getting the vinyl. However, with two kids and $155K in med school loans, I have other things to spend what money I have on. And I figured that if I wouldn't bring myself to spend my money on the uber set, it'd be wrong of me to ask anyone else to get it for me (despite being certain my mother-in-law would...she buys the priciest thing on my wishlist, guaranteed).

The issue is deciding between what you WANT and what you NEED. I disagree with the notion that offering the uber set is taking advantage of the hardcore fans. If anything, the hardcore fans only NEED what's in the super set, if even that. The only fans I can see who may NEED what's in the uber set more than just WANT it are those very few über-completists who strive to collect every random promo item listed on u2wanderer.org, etc. I can check out that website and find tons of things I WANT, but very little that I'd spend the money it would require to purchase on eBay, etc. Still, if you only want and don't need what's in the uber set, but you have the means to get it, of course go for it. If you only want it and don't have the means for it, it may sting a little, but you've got to suck it up the same way you suck up not having the millions of other things that would be nice, but not necessary, to have.

Frankly, it's all about having a maturity that allows you to place your own value on the options available, and then being okay with that.

I've got the super edition ordered for me as a gift from someone else. Sure, I'd love the uber set. It'd be nice to have the sunglasses. I'm starting to collect vinyl, so I'm probably most bummed about not getting the vinyl. However, with two kids and $155K in med school loans, I have other things to spend what money I have on. And I figured that if I wouldn't bring myself to spend my money on the uber set, it'd be wrong of me to ask anyone else to get it for me (despite being certain my mother-in-law would...she buys the priciest thing on my wishlist, guaranteed).

The issue is deciding between what you WANT and what you NEED. I disagree with the notion that offering the uber set is taking advantage of the hardcore fans. If anything, the hardcore fans only NEED what's in the super set, if even that. The only fans I can see who may NEED what's in the uber set more than just WANT it are those very few über-completists who strive to collect every random promo item listed on u2wanderer.org, etc. I can check out that website and find tons of things I WANT, but very little that I'd spend the money it would require to purchase on eBay, etc. Still, if you only want and don't need what's in the uber set, but you have the means to get it, of course go for it. If you only want it and don't have the means for it, it may sting a little, but you've got to suck it up the same way you suck up not having the millions of other things that would be nice, but not necessary, to have.

Frankly, it's all about having a maturity that allows you to place your own value on the options available, and then being okay with that.

Yeah, I'll agree. Everything one might say they "need" is in the super. I wanted the uber, managed to place a $300 order and budgeted for it, because I wanted it - well, the magnetic cabinet more than anything. That's a work of art!

If you say it like that, none of us needs any of these releases. Especially not of a cd we already own. Because music is still a luxury item. So we should stop buying shit and start paying for college and kids and shit like that, mirite?

It really doesn't make sense for anyone to complain about the Uber set existing. It's priced at basically what it's worth, and it only comes down to people deciding if it's worth it to them personally. I don't see any problem with U2 offering a choice of getting everything possible all in one set.

I'm sitting at work today thinking about the Uber edition of Achtung Baby. I actually feel that the Uber edition looks cool, I just wonder why it exists. I remember back in the Eighties, all us kids felt the band represented a forward thinking approach that focused on integrity and fairness to their fans. Sound was always excellent at the shows and usually there would be tickets at the box office so we could get in without being scalped. With the reissue about to drop, I wonder if the old band would support this uber edition as a concept. It's almost feels exploitive to be offered this chance to shell out $430 for a puzzle top box, a vinyl version of the record, singles in their original sleeves, and, don't forget, the fly sunglasses.

I leave to you to decide.

I think this is the first U2 remaster where they are going overboard with the price/fans not getting the best value for the $.

1) Sydney on DVD. Again.

2) Zooropa getting on the AB deluxe version for...no reason at all. This will look even worse if they decide to remaster Zooropa in the future.

3) Truckloads of remixes that no one will listen to on a regular basis. Baby AB instead of more outtakes/rarities.

4) DVD contents could have much more than FTSD, Sydney and a few MTV short documentaries.

I bought all the content = Super Deluxe. If there had been more content in the Uber, I probably would have bought that.

With all the big sets like this, I rip everything to iTunes, and then make CD/DVD copies that I can leave around. Put everything back into the box and on the shelf it goes...

Baby AB instead of more outtakes/rarities.

Lol, do you realise that most of us here who bought the boxset are most excited about that baby disc? read in the AB thread, most people were going to listen to that first. And when it leaked shitloads of people were very happy with it. So I doubt that's a negative point there.

3) Truckloads of remixes that no one will listen to on a regular basis.
I'm glad we have U2girl to speak for all of us.

Baby AB instead of more outtakes/rarities.
Well, if you hadn't heard it before then it's a "rarities", plus we honestly don't know if there were that many more outtakes.

4) DVD contents could have much more than FTSD, Sydney and a few MTV short documentaries.
Once again, we don't really know if there was anything else that is DVD worthy.

I think this is the first U2 remaster where they are going overboard with the price/fans not getting the best value for the $.

1) Sydney on DVD. Again.

2) Zooropa getting on the AB deluxe version for...no reason at all. This will look even worse if they decide to remaster Zooropa in the future.

3) Truckloads of remixes that no one will listen to on a regular basis. Baby AB instead of more outtakes/rarities.

Yeah, I'm surprised there aren't more (and better) outtakes/rarities. And the pricing is ridiculous. I can't justify spending $400 on Uber, even though the puzzle box is cool. I'd rather purchase some nice art at a local art festival for that kind of money.

And the pricing is ridiculous. I can't justify spending $400 on Uber, even though the puzzle box is cool. I'd rather purchase some nice art at a local art festival for that kind of money.

Keep in mind, many couldn't justify spending that money at a local art festival. Everyone is different.

From a strictly retail perspective the price is on mark. :shrug:

I think anyone can decide for or against paying that much for this edition. I don't need it, I bought the Super Deluxe and don't feel it's overprized for all the stuff you're getting. I don't need vinyls and I find the Fly glasses ridiculous. The Super Deluxe edition is beautiful. I don't think other bands charge less for the same content. It's the same thing over and over again: If you don't want it, don't buy it. I payed more for books that were collector's items. If something is worth that much money for you and you can afford it, then buy it, otherwise let it be.

Do we know how many Ubers have been released, out of interest? I don't remember seeing a number mentioned anywhere.

Universal should have released 250 through their own website. There's a copy on ebay that claims to have lithograph 67/250. And Universal went sold out as soon as all their copies were done.

So I reckon 250 per retailer or something like that?

You know what would have justified the price of the Uber Version?

A trabant for a box. :love:

Danny Boy said:
I saw the figure 8000 on another board, but I have no way of confirming the accuracy of that.
Mine is 8256 so there have to be more than that...

I'm glad we have U2girl to speak for all of us.

Well, if you hadn't heard it before then it's a "rarities", plus we honestly don't know if there were that many more outtakes.

Once again, we don't really know if there was anything else that is DVD worthy.

BVS saves the day.

Rarities does not = early versions of songs that made the album. There was more stuff : Wanderer with Bono vocals, original Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me/Wake up dead man/If good will send his angels, In cold blood etc.

Considering how much they record video and audio wise, why would nothing else be DVD worthy ?

Has anyone with the Uber edition downloaded the digital version yet? I can't find where to download it from. :huh:

I didn't know we would get this, that's pretty cool. :up:

"Download your Baby! With this unique code, you can download Uber Deluxe Box Set contents and access digital-only bonus material."

The website address they give though just takes me to U2.com.

U2girl said:
BVS saves the day.

Rarities does not = early versions of songs that made the album. There was more stuff : Wanderer with Bono vocals, original Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me/Wake up dead man/If good will send his angels, In cold blood etc.

Considering how much they record video and audio wise, why would nothing else be DVD worthy ?

Those are all zooropa era, which obviously wasn't the focus here. Granted lines were blurred which I think is the big flaw of this release, but I'm still hoping we get something more from zooropa.

Just because you film doesn't mean it's DVD worthy. There's a big difference between filming for your own records, which may only have a few fixed views, and doing a proshot with quality syncable audio.

Hi there, I have nr 1713 of the uber edition, did anyone notice in the book that there is a huge typo?It says that the achtung baby/zoo tv/zooropa tour ended in Japan in 2003?

Hi there, I have nr 1713 of the uber edition, did anyone notice in the book that there is a huge typo?It says that the achtung baby/zoo tv/zooropa tour ended in Japan in 2003?

I thought the tour ended in Moncton in 2011...

Back
Top Bottom