UABRS remaster out today in Aust on CD/DVD. No deluxe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chocky

Refugee
Just bought the "Under a Blood Red Sky" remaster on both DVD ($18.99) and CD ($14.99) at JB Hi Fi in Sydney. How cheap!!

DVD comes with 16 page inlay and CD comes with (different) 24 page inlay, complete with lyrics. Both sound fantastic.

But seems the deluxe may not be available in Australia. Neither Red Eye nor JB had stock delivered and it was mysterously showing as "unavailable" on catalogue.

Given the CD and DVD are available separately (unlike Joshua Tree Paris DVD) why would they bother releasing a deluxe set? Especially when the combined CD/DVD costs only $33.98 (much less than the $60 retail price for other deluxe sets).

So what exactly do you get for the extra $30 if you buy the deluxe version? I think i might just buy them individually if there's no difference...

You get the satisfaction of knowing that you just helped Edge buy a new yacht.

More seriously, I do hope that we have the deluxe edition in JB - I need it to complete my Amazon-ordered box set that Axver so kindly bought on my behalf.

You get the satisfaction of knowing that you just helped Edge buy a new yacht.

More seriously, I do hope that we have the deluxe edition in JB - I need it to complete my Amazon-ordered box set that Axver so kindly bought on my behalf.

:laugh:

You could just leave the poster in UABRS's spot! :happy:

I'm suprised they're so cheap :up:

Both Big W and Sanity have the deluxe versions on their websites for ~$65
UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY / LIVE AT RED ROCKS (CD/DVD NTSC) (U2): Music: BIGWentertainment.com.au
U2 / UNDER BLOOD RED SKY / LIVE AT - Sanity.com.au - More Movies - More Music

So what exactly do you get for the extra $30 if you buy the deluxe version? I think i might just buy them individually if there's no difference...

It looks like you get an extra Audio CD, from what I can gather from the amazon site.

edit: Hmm..that's weird, from the Sanity site it looks like you get 2 audio CDS. One is a selection of remastered songs not necessarily recorded at Red Rocks, the second is Red Rocks, and then a third disc which is the DVD movie. What I don't get is that if the omission of I Fall Down on the video is because of 'camera problems', why isn't it on the audio disc, I mean wouldnt the audio be ok?

I Fall Down was omitted from DVD due to camera malfunction during the song (according to liner notes).

Well, finally an explanation! THANK YOU chocky! It's what I had guessed it was all along.

Any explanation why it was left off the audio cd? (If it actually is left off that is. Amazon isn't listing it as included)

No, the 2 "CD" deluxe edition is just the CD+DVD.

Well that's what Amazon seems to indicate too, especially following the link from U2.com....however that Sanity site link, provided above, indicates 2 audio + 1 DVD. Weird. I'd certainly love to have the offical entire audio, but of course I could just rip it from the DVD I suppose.

Whatever it is, it'll be way better than the bootlegs I have now! :drool:

Heh, Sanity. They're useless. I wouldn't trust their website as far as I could throw it.

:wave:QUOTE=gvox;5488572]It looks like you get an extra Audio CD, from what I can gather from the amazon site.

edit: Hmm..that's weird, from the Sanity site it looks like you get 2 audio CDS. One is a selection of remastered songs not necessarily recorded at Red Rocks, the second is Red Rocks, and then a third disc which is the DVD movie. What I don't get is that if the omission of I Fall Down on the video is because of 'camera problems', why isn't it on the audio disc, I mean wouldnt the audio be ok?[/QUOTE]

The deluxe set definitely consists of the 'Red Rocks' DVD and the 'Under A Blood Red Sky' re-mastered audio CD. The CD is not the audio from the Red Rocks DVD transferred to audio CD; it only contains two songs from the Red Rocks performance, and never had 'I Fall Down' on it. There is no second audio CD coming out as part of this release.

Oh Ok thanks, for some reason I thought it had been said that there was going to be an audio disc of the full concert. But if it's only the original UABRS cd then of course it wouldn't contain IFD. Thanks.

I picked up Red Rocks today. For Adelaideans, I went to JB's, Sanity and Leading Edge in the city, where none of them had it. The JB's at Marion Shopping Centre, however, did have it. I didn't see UABRS but I assume it was also there. Of course, none of this probably matters because by tomorrow it's going to be all over town.

Will watch it tonight.

Okay brews, I sat down and watched the concert and most of the commentary. The picture looks great, firstly. It's certainly more of an improvement over the Sydney Zoo TV DVD, which was pixelated shite. Really, all the details could be seen perfectly - Edge's shaving scars, the blonde streaks in Bono's porcupine mullet, his love handles - all those things that you wished you could never see too clearly to begin with. Fortunately, the other visuals are still mystifying - the fog, the steam, the breath - it still looks as rocking as ever. All snippets have been cut, so THBAO contains no Let's Twist Again - to me, a real disappointment. Still, what remains is great and the only major problem is a dud note or two during Edge's Guitar Hero solo during Party Grrrrl.

Now, the commentary is strictly by the director only, and mainly discusses the techniques and difficulties gone into taping the show, rather than much else of it. Should have been more expected from myself. Gavin Taylor sounds as if he's never spoken before, and he often goes on talking about The Tube, which he worked with, rather than the concert itself. It's worth a look, though. He also justifies the style in which the concert was shot, which was considered far too unorthodox to Americans at the time - i.e., you cannot shoot the light! you cannot have those burns on the tube! And so forth. Speaking of the latter, they're still very much visible and, rather than adding to the supposed rawness of the concert, look more like lost maps to Lemuria or declarations written by Marat during the French Revolution rather than mere red scribbles. After a certain point, you begin to forget them.

As for the extras - well, the director's commentary is it, really. You get some CD-Rom stuff, namely two wallpapers and a screensaver, as well as links to those choice charities in album liner notes, but overall it could be far better. Some additional War tour footage would have been nice. The screensaver looks as if it was made in the very early days of DVD. It is utterly pissweak.

Nonetheless, the concert is still brutal and rousing.

Great quality in general. :drool: Much better than my old VHS (of course). But I have to agree that the director's commentary is quite boring.

Went to buy this in town today

HMV didn't have the CD or the CD/DVD combo and the DVD was 20 euro
Golden Disks only had the CD for 14 euro and no DVD or CD/DVD
Tower was the only place that had the CD/DVD Combo but it was 37 euro

Seriously I'm not paying that

Back
Top Bottom