U2's third masterpiece...in touring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
JT and AB are considered the two masterpieces, and the two respective tours that promoted these albums are probably the best loved U2 tours.

There isn't a consensus on the third masterpiece on the albums, how about tours ? Did they reach the third universally loved and acclaimed tour or is it yet to come ?

If anybody doesn't know my response, they've been living under a rock or only just registered.

Both the JT Tour and ZooTV pale in comparison to the glory of Lovetown.

If anybody doesn't know my response, they've been living under a rock or only just registered.

Both the JT Tour and ZooTV pale in comparison to the glory of Lovetown.

Big shame that Lovetown didn't go on longer and visit more countries. I managed to see them in Holland as luckily I have an aunt who lives there, but if I hadn't 15 year old me wouldn't have got to see it as they didn't play London.
Great gig and the Australian gigs in particular were out of this world, Hawkmoon, God Part 2, AATW and Desire from those nights were some of the best things that U2 have ever done.
I would happily put this as the 3rd masterpiece, though the UF tour was pretty good from what I've heard!!

Lovetown had absolutely brilliant performances of 80s material... when the band (especially Bono) was having a good day. Bono's voice had extremely high peak points (although he had absolutely abhorrent range throughout the entire tour), but, when he was having a bad day, think PopMart Las Vegas or Sarajevo, but worse. If Bono had continued singing like that, his voice would have been totally gone within a few years. Think God he stopped... and started smoking instead. :wink:

Also, the band hated Lovetown. Thank God for Achtung Baby.

Oh, and the JT Tour has never really interested me. I would much rather hear a good Lovetown show, or, hell, a War/TUF show. ZooTV was so fucking brilliant, it trumps everything else, although I really like PopMart and Vertigo (especially the latter).

Think God he stopped... and started smoking instead. :wink:

Also, the band hated Lovetown. Thank God for Achtung Baby.

He started smoking in '87.
cryingtuf.gif

I always found it rather ironic that the band thought Lovetown was like a bunch of greatest hits/jukebox concerts, whereas if anything, subsequent tours resembled that at least as much. I don't gush over it as much as some guys here that I won't name, but some of the recordings really are pretty damn amazing.

As for the question at hand.

I don't know.

ps. somebody reccomend me the best non-dublin LoveTown bootleg and I will download it.

I think JT was a pretty inconsistent tour but it was bolstered by a brilliant album which made the guys into superstars, so people probably tend to overlook or at least forgive its shortcomings.

Other than that, I thought UF tour had some pretty great moments, when the band were 'on' they were blistering, just check out Dortmund 94, plus I always liked ASOH, UF and particularly Wire, (a shame they dropped it after UF tour), plus who could forget some of those incredible versions of Bad, the song was just coming into its own at the time and the band were beginning to realise just what they'd got with it.

Vertigo was great too and very popular here.

Oh and I think its a bit strong to say U2 hated Lovetown, it just wasn't where they wanted to go ultimately, I think they looked at it as a bit of a cul-de-sac.

i honestly think from that the vertigo tour along with zoo tv were there most consistently great tours how many bad shows were there on Vertigo - i dont know of any

by the way not impressed by joshua tree tour - if that paris dvd is suppose to be a good show - they were still unexperienced - i was shocked how much better they all have become after watching that show

I thought JT was the worst tour I saw, but then I saw it in Denver where they were filming, so that may have taken the edge off.

I think Zoo Tv was their trippiest, Pop a distant second...

But the biggest reason I love U2 live is their ability to take you through the clouds at a concert, to send your spirit soaring and your eyes watering, while your mind tries to sort it all out. In that regard, Unforgettable Fire, Elevation and Vertigo were the best shows I've seen.

So far, I think Lovetown and actually Vertigo were the best tours. After that, POPMART!!!:ohmy: :wave:

BY FAR - Elevation was the worst. Only time U2 ever disappointed me... and they did disappoint me deeply then.

I've never heard a bootleg from Lovetown except for New Year's Eve show. And that's because it was released as Live from Point Depot. I don't think JT was an amazing tour. I'm all about the big megalomaniac stages. So, I would have to say PopMart... or Vertigo, cause I was there. :wink:

I've never heard a bootleg from Lovetown except for New Year's Eve show. And that's because it was released as Live from Point Depot. I don't think JT was an amazing tour. I'm all about the big megalomaniac stages. So, I would have to say PopMart... or Vertigo, cause I was there. :wink:

The other 3 Dublin nights are all excellent recordings and I think better shows, worth getting... :up:

We shall now hope U2360 will be as good as ZOO TV, Popmart and Elevation (For me the best 3 tours). :drool:

alright I have never been to a show so regard this with a grain of salt. I am basing this completely on videos and concerts I have watched

I would say ZOO TV gets the substantial edge over PopMart due to the fact they performed better and had a much better idea (TV) to center it around. The intro to Zoo Station and the channel flipping before the "You didn't come here just to watch TV, did ya?" before Even Better were excellent uses of props.

Elevation is my favorite, however, despite the Bono struggles the fact that they connect with the fans so well. Closing with Walk On gives fans such a better ending song to walk out with than Love is Blindness or Vertigo.

JT and AB are considered the two masterpieces, and the two respective tours that promoted these albums are probably the best loved U2 tours.

There isn't a consensus on the third masterpiece on the albums, how about tours ? Did they reach the third universally loved and acclaimed tour or is it yet to come ?

elevation was their third masterpiece in touring. the heart brought the fans together, and we were all united in love.:heart::heart:

i don't like that people know this kind of stuff :lol:

Not fully convinced it wasn't earlier.
Either way, he sounds magnificent! now. :hyper:

elevation was their third masterpiece in touring. the heart brought the fans together, and we were all united in love.:heart::heart:

How lovely. :hug:
This tour is going to leave people speechless and wondering what the "early" critics were thinking. This is incredible material to do in concert.
I just feel it. :up: and I'm never wrong. :D

I would peg Elevation 3rd Leg, which are the post 9-11 shows. Maybe not a best tour of their doing, but everything came together then, and made a concert experience that can never be recreated...

I'm glad to see at least a little love for the Elevation. That was my favorite tour by far. Sure- they had the occasional off night- but each show was special. And when they were on, they sounded the best they ever have or had since. It was their most passionate and emotional moments and it made for the best tour I've ever seen or heard.

It couldn't be called anything but the 'Elevation' tour- it was the perfect name because that is exactly what it was, and exactly what it did.

Back
Top Bottom