U2's relationship with Apple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolian2

Blue Crack Supplier
Just came across this article in my travels:

Bono and Steve Jobs No Longer BFFs

What did Steve Jobs do to his old buddy Bono? The Irish rock star, once the Apple CEO's adoring buddy, is funding the most credible threat to the iPhone yet.

Bono is a founder of Elevation Partners, the Silicon Valley private-equity firm named after the U2 song. And Elevation just sank another $100 million into Palm, the troubled smartphone maker. Palm, which waited too long to switch its product lineup from electronic organizers to souped-up cell phones and whose Treo smartphone is showing its age, lost more than $500 million in the most recent quarter. Bono's firm now owns 39 percent of Palm.

He's also lassoed several former Apple executives into the Palm corral. Fred Anderson, a former Apple CFO and board member, is an investor at Elevation. Jon Rubinstein, a hardware executive who served as Jobs's right-hand man at Apple, resigned in 2006 — one day before the company's 30-year anniversary — and joined Palm a year ago. Rubinstein, the company's executive chairman, is working on a new family of devices that will compete with Apple's iPhone; the big unveiling is planned for the CES computer trade show next month.

The last CES was also the scene of the latest dig by Bono at Jobs. In January 2008, he appeared in a farewell video for Microsoft chairman Bill Gates. Later that month, he shilled for Michael Dell, the founder of the eponymous PC maker who once called for Jobs to shut down Apple and "return the money to shareholders." (Apple is now worth far more than Dell. Ha!)

And to think they were once so close. At an Apple event in 2003, Bono called Jobs "the Dalai Lamai of integration." One year later, Bono and Jobs introduced a U2-branded edition of the iPod. Jobs, who is rarely seen in public, attended a U2 concert in 2005, and Bono praised Apple as being "more creative than a lot of rock bands." In 2006, Bono promoted a red iPod for his Product (Red) charity scheme.

So what happened? The falling out has never been publicly explained, but I have a theory on what happened.

Apple's board of directors fingered Fred Anderson, the former Apple CFO, in a probe over stock-options backdating at Apple. In a public statement, Anderson blamed Jobs. Things got messy, and Anderson resigned from the board after reaching a settlement with the SEC.

At that point, Anderson was already at Elevation helping make Bono, whose net worth is estimated in the hundreds of millions of dollars, even richer. So Jobs wasn't just messing with Bono's pal; he was messing with his pocketbook.

It hardly squares with the Irish rocker's saintly save-the-children image, does it?

Nerdfight: Bono and Steve Jobs No Longer BFFs

Does anyone else think this could cause some problems with the (Red) or ONE campaigns? It's enough to make me want to return my Macbook.

Also, what a stunning business move.

OH SNAP!

Bono and Steve Jobs, no longer BFF's?

lauren-conrad-heidi-montag.jpg

First Heidi and Lauren...now this.
YouTube - U2 - Where Did It All Go Wrong
Where did it allllll go wrong, where did it all go wrong?​

Very interesting article, BTW, thanks for sharing!

This article is speculation and gossip. There has been no indication of any problems between Jobs and Bono that I can recall. The idea that they had a falling out just because Bono is associating with Gates and Dell is ridiculous. By the way didn't Jobs attend the tour closing party in Hawaii that Gates hosted? I wouldn't pay any attention to this at all. Also, even though Microsoft and Apple are competitors Microsoft bailed out Apple financially at one point many years ago with a ginormous loan and I think Bono even orchestrated a satellite appearance by Gates at the big MacWorld event several years back.

Dana

^Indeed Dana. :up:

Also, I might add that both Microsoft and Apple are (RED) partners, and Bono has worked with both Jobs and Gates in a variety of ways (Jobs, by what the article cited, and Gates with the Gates Foundation, etc.). I really don't think any of this is indicative of a personal vendetta.

Bono should create a real computer that has a real drink tray so I can stop using my computer's CDROM drive as a drink tray.

I used to work in tech support when PCs were just starting to really take off (Windows 98 :love: ) and some guy was actually doing this...

That and a woman was using her mouse as a foot pedal... I shit you not.

:lol: Especially the foot pedal one!!

That reminds me of something I read in a computer mag. This guy's dad got his first pc(the dad is around 70 or so) and he got the famous Blue screen of death, and yea it says press ANY key. So what does the guy do? He presses the power button on the pc.
Well, it did say ANY key!

I used to work in tech support when PCs were just starting to really take off (Windows 98 :love: ) and some guy was actually doing this...

That and a woman was using her mouse as a foot pedal... I shit you not.

:lol: Especially the foot pedal one!!

That reminds me of something I read in a computer mag. This guy's dad got his first pc(the dad is around 70 or so) and he got the famous Blue screen of death, and yea it says press ANY key. So what does the guy do? He presses the power button on the pc.
Well, it did say ANY key!

gotta love intelligent design :wink: :up:

I think the whole story is BS by a journalist who has nothing better to do.

And even if they would have a troubled relation, I think he missed the point entirely. Seeing smoke somewhere, anyone?

Back
Top Bottom