U2's Private Plane/What's it like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yenlard

War Child
hoping this is the right place to ask.....how does the band travel these days? i'm sure they have a private jet. what is it like? anybody have any details? i remember an interview on 60 minutes during the vertigo tour and they showed bono and the band briefly during an interview.

They usually lease a plane during the tours. In between they will fly commercial often in business class. At the end of the last tour Edge flew back commercial on the same flight with many of the crew who were returning home.

Dana

Surprised any of them ever flies commercial, even when not touring. They could easily afford to use private jet services like NetJets. Hell, they could afford to simply purchase something like a Gulfstream, for both personal and corporate use between tours (though obviously a Gulfstream is too smalll for band and crew during tours)

Surprised any of them ever flies commercial, even when not touring. They could easily afford to use private jet services like NetJets. Hell, they could afford to simply purchase something like a Gulfstream, for both personal and corporate use between tours (though obviously a Gulfstream is too smalll for band and crew during tours)

I'm sure they do at times when commercial doesn't fit with their schedule but there were pictures of Edge getting off of that flight chatting with Orlando Bloom who was also on the plane, and Bono has said that he often travels alone with no security flying business class. Most people probably just think he looks like Bono not thinking it really is him.

Dana

Edge spent all their money on a yacht. He "hearts" his yacht.

but why, if you're happy with flying commercial?

Bono said on the last tour that Edge landed on a spaceship and came out in Dublin

This thread gave some interesting comments.

How can it be possible that people now complain about U2 NOT having a private jet when they've so much money.
I'm sure that IF they actually had a jet, everybody would whine on how they waste money while they tell us to help africa :blahblah:..

They can never win now can they?

I thought they do use a custom plane - there were pictures from Popmart, Elevation and Vertigo tour ?

Thanks. So they rent a plane for the duration of the tour ?

Yes basically, they leased an Airbus for the Ameircan leg of Vertigo and then a BAE146 for the European leg. The British Royal Family has used BAE146s for some years and it was one of those planes that brought Princess Di back from Paris after her death.

Yes basically, they leased an Airbus for the Ameircan leg of Vertigo and then a BAE146 for the European leg. The British Royal Family has used BAE146s for some years and it was one of those planes that brought Princess Di back from Paris after her death.

that's the plane i thought i saw on the 60 minutes interview.

Yep, that's right. For Vertigo they actually had 3 different ones. Not sure what VA3 was but it was the one they took with them to Oz and South America.

planepic1.jpg

kermit1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom