U2's New Single: 'Blow Your House Down'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think there's a chance that it's calculated and intentional, not an error.

Hm, but why would they do that? :hmm: Because I thought the FOOW remix was supposed to be the Live remix. Yet it does not sound like it, it sounds messed up. Why would they intentionally release that? Just to get people talking how messed up it is?

Isn't the intro to the perfecto mix fucked up too?

That said, the intro bugs me. Though I do find myself listening to live performances of it from this year more than I do the remix. It sounded better live.

I don't get all the "Fish Out Of Water Remix sounds off" stuff. What's 'off' about it? I think once the guitar solo starts it is loud and overpowers the background noise (except for the drums) and I don't hear how people are saying it is "off" :huh:

The intro isn't synchronized. The different tracks are off. Edge's solo isn't in time with the rest. Especially not the background stuff by Terry. And on the Glasto performance the drums were off time as well.

I too must say i was disappointed with the official fish out of water remix. Live, it sounds incredible, and i think i might actually prefer it to the original at times. But the official remix that came out is just dreadful.

It's not just the horribly out of time intro, for me the biggest problem is that nothing seems balanced. The bass is way to loud (and somehow seems out of tune during the pre-chorus), and the guitar is too quiet, and it's painfully obvious that it's been sampled, as opposed to recorded (it seems to 'rip' in and out of the song). The fact that the vocals and guitar are from the original mix, yet the bass and drums are new makes it sound just plain unbalanced. Given that they were performing it every night as the opener of the tour this summer, and given they recorded new bass and drums for it, i'm surprised they didn't just go all the way and re-record the tune. If they had, there wouldn't be any of these weird synch problems.

But at least we can take solace in the fact that 'U22' will likely feature a live rendition of the remix, so that's pretty cool :up:

Who does Fish Out Of Water remixes, btw? The others have been pretty good. I think I like the FOOW mix of GOYB and Crazy Tonight better than the originals even! This one of Even Better is a sharp departure from those.

Who does Fish Out Of Water remixes, btw? The others have been pretty good. I think I like the FOOW mix of GOYB and Crazy Tonight better than the originals even! This one of Even Better is a sharp departure from those.

I think it's Declan? Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.

And I remember hearing the intro when they played at Glastonbury and could tell that it was really off, but in the remix, it doesn't seem too bad to me.

Hm, but why would they do that? :hmm: Because I thought the FOOW remix was supposed to be the Live remix. Yet it does not sound like it, it sounds messed up. Why would they intentionally release that? Just to get people talking how messed up it is?
I read someone (don't remember who) on this board speculate once that it was because they were going for a disorientating effect. Who knows? It certainly is disorientating.

If memory serves me right, Fish Out Of Water is a team of two people, one of whom is Declan Gaffney.

Seriously, if its so bad don't listen to it. Or the thread topic song, BYHD, either. I enjoy both songs. They are not the greatest songs ever but certainly not the worst.

Sometimes I think people here just need stuff to multi-post bitch about.

I read someone (don't remember who) on this board speculate once that it was because they were going for a disorientating effect. Who knows? It certainly is disorientating.

If memory serves me right, Fish Out Of Water is a team of two people, one of whom is Declan Gaffney.

Was the other Redanka? I vaguely recall something like that.

And yeah, I guess it's disorientating all right. Add the creepy video and I'm out. :wink:

The "off" slide guitar on EBTTRT (Fish Out of Water Mix) is intentional. There's nothing to "fix." People have been complaining for months about this. You might not like how it sounds, but that's the way it's supposed to sound. Whoever said it's supposed to be slightly "disorienting" is on the right track.

How is it 'supposed' to be the way it sounds? I don't get it. If it was supposed to sound like this, then why didn't they play it live this way? They did once, but that was because their gear was fucked over by a lame DJ. So that was a mistake that they admitted to(check the BBC interview right after the show).

I saw them play it TO and Moncton it was out of snych as well.. it's deliberate. it's supposed to be dizzying I guess. like the video

I heard it played in Denver and it sounded pretty much like the version on the box set. I can't really comment on the various live versions, but I do think the official mix on the box set sounds exactly the way the band intended it.

And Registered Dude, I was in TO as well. Didn't notice anything being out of synch there.

This. Nothing like the remix at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddMc2WoYnNU

And not in Denver, either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ0yf_ukDTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHHiAhNmN5c

The fact is, and it is fact, that for the majority of the tour the "rise" on the Whammy riff, the tom hits, and further along, the notes on Edge's slide solo, were all nicely synched up. There was maybe one or so shows (ie Glastonbury) where this wasn't the case, but for the most part, the intro wasn't "disorienting" it made perfect sense to me. The remix is simply not an accurate reflection of what the band had intended to do night in night out on tour. Whether or not that's what they intended for this album is anyone's guess I suppose, but it doesn't change the fact that, live, they played it far more times in sync than not.

i love it when the fans (think they) know better than the band re. how the song is meant to sound :D

No doubt, the official remix would be hard to play live because of what you call being "out of sync." So I can see how they would compromise and include elements of the remix but also keep the same rhythms they've been playing for 20 years. My point is that the official studio remix, which was done by freaking Declan Gaffney, is not an accident or a mistake. Do you think Declan/FOW simply pushed a few buttons on a mixing board and then released the song without actually listening to it? Do you think Bono would be singing the praises of this mix without having actually listened to it or without noticing that the beginning is "out of sync?" Ok, don't answer that last question, as it doesn't help my case... :)

Just so I have this straight: this "official studio mix" is actually how the band wanted to play it all along, but because it is so difficult to get this timing off night in night out, they decided to compromise and play it in sync just to get by with it? The opening song of the show?

I'm sorry, but that theory is bat-shit crazy.

Just watched it on YouTube. It's pretty screwed up indeed, particularly during the intro. Props for them for managing to play the song anyway.

A DJ fell onto Terry's table right before the band started playing. He dropped Terry's laptop on the floor, and it turned off, which is clearly audible as the first chorus misses the synth parts. At the same time Smasher suffered from a power outage, he just started the opening video, and that was it. He was cut off from everything. So that added to the general nervousness of the band, and it showed.

Just so I have this straight: this "official studio mix" is actually how the band wanted to play it all along, but because it is so difficult to get this timing off night in night out, they decided to compromise and play it in sync just to get by with it? The opening song of the show?

I'm sorry, but that theory is bat-shit crazy.

I have no idea if the band wanted the live version to sound exactly like the remix, and neither do you. My comments are less concerned with the live version, and more with the comments earlier in this thread that U2 should have "fixed" the FOW mix before putting it on the box set.

My opinion is that I don't know if the band intended for the intro to be messed up or not, and I don't care anyway, because I prefer Bono's 2011 vocals on the track to his 1991 vocals on the track, so I'd rather just listen to the live version anyway.

I have no idea if the band wanted the live version to sound exactly like the remix, and neither do you.

This is somewhat of a "chicken and the egg" argument.

Pretty sure the live version was thought up before the remix was commissioned.

I'd take it a step further into the sort of area of conjecture you went into and say that it's more likely that he heard them do it like that at Glastonbury (with the mistakes and all) and thought it would be neat to make it sound similar. Well, it doesn't sound neat, it sounds sloppy.

But to say that the remix spawned the idea for the "new" EBTTRT version they did live, but they couldn't pull it off so they did it in time with one another, no way. They could pull it off that way if they wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom