U2's musical influence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Sarajevo 09

The Fly
Please help! I'm making some "mix" cd's for friends of mine that are going to shows with me. I'm going to make them some U2 stuff, but I also wanted to throw a curve ball and send them a "mix" cd that is not of U2, but of bands that have a bit of a U2 sound or an influence from the band. Of course I've got Coldplay and The Killers, but can anyone give me any other good ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not an expert on this, but I think you'd have to include The Alarm, an 80s band that was basically the Welsh version of U2. In fact, they opened for U2 several times in the 80s.

And what about Simple Minds? Anyway, there has been a thread on this before:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/bands-who-sound-like-u2-186697.html

Bands like the Alarm, Simple Minds and Big Country were more or less contemporaneous with U2, so they were all influencing each other. I think Simple Minds mid '80s sound was definitely influenced by U2, as their earlier music was different.

Early Radiohead.

The Bravery - in fact, they recorded a cover of An Cat Dubh.

The Verve, I'd reckon, although I'm not sure if they ever specifically cited U2 as an influence.

I always thought that Midnight Oil was half influenced by U2 and half influenced by The Who. Though I don't know how that might fit in on your disc.

Radiohead sounds good to add to the mix you are already considering. Maybe something some cuts off Amnesiac?

Back
Top Bottom