U2's most "Rock n Roll" moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcfitz80

The Fly
For a band that's not really pure hard rock like ACDC and Aerosmith just wondering what people think are U2's most "Rock n Roll" moments - not even neccessarily a whole song, but it could be a whole song or just part of one either done live or studio. Here are my tops:

1) Last part of "Until The End of The World" (live)

2) Last 30 seconds or so of "Like A Song" where the guitars jam out

3) God Part II

4) Holy Joe (garage mix)

5) Electric Co - especially the solo when performed live

6) Out of Control

7) The Fly

8) Exit - especially live

9) BTBS - Live guitar solo especially - of these Zoo TV era is Best

10) "Rock n Roll stops the traffic" - when Bono spray paints this in San Fran!

Ok. thats it. Those last few I just thought of right now! I mainly wrote this post for the top 2 or 3 that I mentioned but then thought of a few more and then wanted to extend it out to 10

I probably would say that I Will Follow is more rock n roll than Out of Control, IMO

and I think Last Night On Earth is pretty rock n roll as well

Agree with everything Edge 25 and pcfitz have mentioned so far, but would like to especially echo Last Night On Earth live. From the "be there soon, we still wont sleep," to the end of the guitar jam is flat out balls to the walls rock and roll.

Also would like to mention Dirty Day live.

Good topic for a thread:up::up:

I think one of the best things to highlight to non U2 fans is that, despite their certainly not being associated with hard rock, they rock as hard as anyone when they want to.

They most often cited the Ramones as an early influence, and were known primarily as a punk rock band for a good number of years. Its funny, working concert security, you can always tell which people working there-be it media, security, management, etc- have seen U2 before based on whether they have their earplugs or not! Anyone who's seen U2 before knows they're not getting a night of WOWY's. Almost every person I talk to after their first U2 show remarks on how surprisingly loud and rocking they are.

Definitely my favorite kind of U2.

Bullet the Blue Sky - ZooTV (especially the Atlanta 1992 and Wembley 1993 versions), but also Popmart and Elevation (the live version from Slane I is pretty nuts, with Bono's infamous Mark Chapman rant)
The Fly - every version, but I especially love the erratic Vertigo Tour version
Desire - Lovetown, with Edge's shredding solo
All Along the Watchtower - Lovetown, much more focused and rocking than the lackluster R&H version, with Bono actually adding some interesting guitar parts
God Part II - Lovetown, again
Exit - live versions from Joshua Tree tour are spectacular, especially the 6-minute Austin version
The Electric Co. - Vertigo Tour, with The Edge going crazy
Until the End of the World - Not many live versions lack the usual intensity. Sick ending.
Dirty Day - Sydney and Adelaide 1993. Magical.
Hawkmoon 269 - One of their best concert openers. Too bad it was performed so rarely.
Gone - Elevation tour, as mentioned before.

Last but not least, the craziest and most rocking concert they ever did IMO is Leeds 1997. Ones who don't have it, get it. The amount of energy is amazing at this one. Mofo, Gone, Even Better Than the Real Thing, Last Night on Earth, Until the End of the World, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me all might be one of my favorite and most rocking live versions there are.

whereabouts in San Fran did Bono spray paint?

Last but not least, the craziest and most rocking concert they ever did IMO is Leeds 1997. Ones who don't have it, get it. The amount of energy is amazing at this one. Mofo, Gone, Even Better Than the Real Thing, Last Night on Earth, Until the End of the World, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me all might be one of my favorite and most rocking live versions there are.

don't forget Miami, that seriously fucking rocks.

don't forget Miami, that seriously fucking rocks.

Ah yes, of course. And Bullet the Blue Sky is also seriously crazy on there. About The Fly Elevation, the verses and the guitar riff are a bit more mellow than the other versions, but the guitar solo and that sick little bridge before it they did is at least :rockon::rockon::rockon: that much worth.

Oh, forgot about Vertigo Discotheque. Both the Toronto and Chicago versions.

Ending of Rejoice, Like a Song... and Another Time, Another Place from the early days. Seriously underrated.

I'd also add that it's quite funny that U2's most "techno" monene, MOFO was also one of their most convincing rock and roll moments too.

bonobradpitt__.jpg

the mark chapman rant is on the boston dvd, not slane.

Slane I, aka Slane 1. Much rougher, brutal version than what is on the Slane DVD (2nd Slane concert). The Boston DVD was a mixture of different versions of Chapman rants, one that includes the Boston IV version, which is also one of their most rocking moments.

whereabouts in San Fran did Bono spray paint?

Justin Herman Plaza.. down Embarcadero. I remember this and I remember being pissed because my parents wouldnt let me go down there.

ba_fountain5.jpg

On November 11, 1987, U2 came to San Francisco and played a free concert at Justin Herman Plaza near the Embarcadero. It was at the height of The Joshua Tree frenzy and it caused a giormous stir because Bono spray painted “Rock and Roll Stops the Traffic” on the Vaillancourt Fountain in the Plaza.

bono.jpg

The ones that come to my mind right now are Until the End of the World, BTBS (any versions) :drool: and The Electric Co. from Vertigo Tour

Bono skullfucking the TV camera during UTEOTW during ZooTV shows.

Bono boozing up underage girl during ZooTV tour film filming.

Adam's donkey dick.

I say it was, Zoo TV, during Even Better Than The Real Thing - Bono as The Fly grabbing the camera and spinning it round and round and the lead wrapping round his legs, kinda, and then he stops suddenly and nearly falls over, most likely from all the spinning round. LOL!

totally heavy! :up:

Back
Top Bottom