U2's Last album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peter_The_Roman

The Fly
In regards to when U2 will make their last album I have heard two theories:

1. U2 will come out with "Songs of Experience" this December and then at a later time come out with "Songs of Ascent" which will be their last album.

2, "Songs of Experience" is their last album and "The Little Things That Give You Away" was written as a way for the band to say Goodbye to their fans. Note the lyrics: The end isn’t coming. It’s not coming. The end is here.

Any thoughts?

I've been saying for awhile that I think SOE is their last big album they try and really promote, then they release SOA quietly after the tour.

I obviously want #2, and RD has suggested that a loose plan along those lines currently exists.

Also, Adam mentioned Songs of Ascent not too long ago, and that's Adam!

their anniversary edition albums with bonus material will still be released regularly far after we're all long gone

I didn't think NLOTH would be their last. I didn't think SOI would be their last. Right now, I'm about 75/25 that SOE will be their last. The other 25% is holding out hope for SOA (or whatever it will be), which would I think undoubtedly be the end.

I'm so surprised that so many people think we're nearing the end. I just don't get that vibe at all. These guys love being in U2.

I see them stopping touring before they stop making new music.

I'm so surprised that so many people think we're nearing the end. I just don't get that vibe at all. These guys love being in U2.

I actually think it's the opposite, I think touring is where it's at for them. That's where they're in their element, and thats where the money is. From a business standpoint the records are almost incidental, unless it's part of a marketing deal like the last one.

On the other hand, from an artistic standpoint, they seem to struggle to make new music. Without the impetus of a new record, I'd say the most we could hope for is the occasional soundtrack/tribute song, and similar one offs.

As far as them "loving being in U2", I think that's probably true for three of them.

Their last album will be, and should be, SOE.

This is because U2 are losing their minds.

I am not on about the music. I still love their music, even the latest stuff, and I really like YTBTAM. Their music is still decent, with the exception of some really stupid lyrics (A boy, ned/fred etc).

But they're losing their minds in terms of: cold feet about releasing albums, trying too hard to get hits with the kids, being terrible at promoting songs. The trying to get hits with the kids point really pisses me off the most. For the most part, the charts are full of absolute shite anyway. Furthermore, they're old men, the shallow kids of today don't see that as 'cool', and all the sheep-idiots will never be into U2, no matter how good their music is, simply because they're old men and not the in-thing. But U2 still don't get this ffs.

All of these points just make U2 seem really insecure and inconfident about their music. They need to accept that times have changed, and that they should do their music for THEM and their loyal fans! NOT the teen idiots and crappy charts!!!

If U2 had the right mentality about all this, then they could make albums through to about album 20 for all I care. But because of the way they are, and how they have lost their minds, it's time to end after SOE (Unless they seriously get their act together). A shame because I wanted them to do at least 15 albums, not 14.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be shocked if it's their last major album cycle. The past few years have seemed to kick the bands ass on many levels. I can see them releasing a new song here or there for causes, soundtracks, anniversary editions etc but I just can't see them releasing a new album with the same level of hype and promotion. I just think they are going to tire out a bit after this one. Edge and Bono will probably do some collabs. I hope I'm wrong but signs are kind of pointing to this being their last record.

Last edited:
The only thing that's for sure about U2 is that nothing's for sure. They could retire from touring once their 60's hit and focus more on recording and release new songs. They could do it all until one of them dies perhaps. I suppose, at this point, we should cherish any new album because it could be their last. :wink:

I've always imagined that their album releases would get farther and farther apart until eventually one never gets finished and they just drop it. I can't imagine Edge or Bono completely walking away from making music, but I can see Adam and Larry getting tired of the whole thing and retiring from the public eye at some point.

if you think SoE is their last, or one of their last, you're an idiot. They will keep going and going and dragging their legacy through the mud until one of them physically can't any more.

I've been saying for awhile that I think SOE is their last big album they try and really promote, then they release SOA quietly after the tour.

I really hope this is the case.

I'd love it if they brought Eno and Lanois back if SOA is ever released and go and make the music that they're truly brilliant at; cinematic multi layered "soundscapes" and not worry about trying to sound like what's on the big radio stations at the moment.

Here's hoping.

I wouldn't mind if they stopped touring,well big tours anyway. Just release studio stuff more regular!

Back
Top Bottom