U2's judgement about their own material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's sad for me to hear the band/Bono talk negatively of Red Hill Mining Town, that might be my favorite U2 song ever.

The specific comment I quoted was from Larry, but the rest of the band don't even mention the song in the book, so I'd have to assume they don't disagree with him. It's probably my favourite too. Certainly, in my top 10.

They're really poor judges of their own material, moreso than most bands. It's kind of shocking.

The poor judgment in differentiating between A-side and B-side quality is very telling.

In some cases, it makes sense to leave an excellent B-side off an album if there isn't a place for it.

For example, in my opinion, Walk to the Water is one of the single greatest things U2 have given the world, but it didn't quite fit it with the theme of any specific album, so I can understand their leaving it off.

I do think the band is overly critical of their work. To be honest, it is surprising to me sometimes that they actually continue making music for enjoyment because of how harsh they are of so much of their work. :shrug:

I think in terms of judgement, they are pretty questionable. That's based only on the songs we have. There are so many album worthy tracks or songs that should have been b-sides (unreleased and some that were on the albums). Among the worst examples:

Fire over Saturday Night.
Red Light on War
Holy Joe not being on Pop.
Mercy not being on an album yet.

In some cases, it makes sense to leave an excellent B-side off an album if there isn't a place for it.

For example, in my opinion, Walk to the Water is one of the single greatest things U2 have given the world, but it didn't quite fit it with the theme of any specific album, so I can understand their leaving it off.

Oh yeah, there are some times where they do something that makes sense. But then you take a look at The Unforgettable Fire and you're left scratching your head.

I'd say it's mostly Larry who has the poor judgement. Decided he didn't like Mercy and it shouldn't be on Bomb, doesn't like Passangers, wanted to make a Joshua Tree 2 after Rattle and Hum.

And it's still going on too. Leaving Winter off the new album was fucking madness. I'm sure Larry had something to do with that.

Yeah, you're right. And also I'm pretty sure Larry is to blame for poverty, war, and famine. I mean, who does he think he is to exercise his judgement about U2's music? He should leave that to anonymous internet-forum posters, who obviously know more about it than he does!

They have always stated they're a democracy, 3 votes get it, so the band's decisions must be consired as the whole band's, wether it is real or not, that's what they want us to know, so I would stop putting the blame of the decisions we don't like either on Bono or Larry, because we don't really know, it's not fair and we don't have any elements to know if they are correct or not.

I'm still waiting for the "How dare U2 pick what they want put on an album!!!!" thread...

Yeah, that'll be next. I sometimes think it hasn't occurred to people here that they wouldn't have any music to bitch and gripe about if the guys in U2 weren't responsible for it.

Yes, it's fun to express your critical opinion of U2's music . . . no, you don't know more about U2's music than U2 (repeat this mantra).

I thought the Edge's views about LNOE were outrageous i.e. if it was that good we'd still play it live. Given that we are subjected to Elevation every night I hardly think that is a valid criteron.

I thought the Edge's views about LNOE were outrageous i.e. if it was that good we'd still play it live. Given that we are subjected to Elevation every night I hardly think that is a valid criteron.

The band knows that song (LNOE) is good.....they make statements like that to spur debates like this. If they went around telling people how great Pop was and is, then people would laugh at them. A statement like this let's people discover it on their own and make their own decision.

I wish they had been more critical of the new album. I think 75% of it is the very weakest material they've ever produced, and I don't think the years will be as kind to it as the majority of critics and fans have been. The thrill will blow over as soon as the tour's done. If they were smart, they'd knuckle down and try to come up with some guaranteed classic cuts for Songs Of Ascent (which sounds like a self-indulgent snoozer, as described). And I don't mean the cookie-cutter single material they contrived for the middle of NLOTH - they need to whip out another "Pride" or "With Or Without You" or "One". Preferably something under five minutes.

Totally agree. There's also a disturbing shift toward judging the quality of songs by metrics of popularity -- i.e. how many units were sold or whether the single topped the charts.

"The Fly" was perfect as is and didn't get better by 2005, Bono!

Also, if you listen to the free Rolling Stone interviews with Bono on itunes, his opinons are mad. He says stuff like "Achtung Baby" is a great album, but that ATYCLB and HTDAAB have better songs. Seriously, I think the band tends toward losing it. This was over a year after the album came out, so the syndrome of loving what they just made had worn off.

Bono, also in the Rolling Stone audio interview,thinks the lyrics on Joshua Tree are better than before, but aren't nearly as good as nowadays.

Complete madness!

That was a great podcast...but I remember Bono saying something about "improving" older albums

:|

No

NO BONO DO NOT TOUCH THEM

I don't understand why he doesn't like Boy either...I think it's a great album, amazing stuff from some guys, well, some guys MY age.

Look what 16/17/18 year olds are putting out now a days...do I have to name names?

the greatest improvement of one of thier songs from the first version, weather its live or studio, is the common ground version of tomorrow . too bad we won;t ever see that live. anyway, its hard to deal with ur feelings vs the bands feelings. some bands disregard older songs with no regard to how the fans felt about it. and its not like u2s some one hit wonder that lives on just that. like how the guys in flock of seagulls hate so far away, whatever it is. cause its thier only hit. u2 can live on on what they have done already for hundred years.

I wish they had been more critical of the new album. I think 75% of it is the very weakest material they've ever produced, and I don't think the years will be as kind to it as the majority of critics and fans have been. The thrill will blow over as soon as the tour's done. If they were smart, they'd knuckle down and try to come up with some guaranteed classic cuts for Songs Of Ascent (which sounds like a self-indulgent snoozer, as described). And I don't mean the cookie-cutter single material they contrived for the middle of NLOTH - they need to whip out another "Pride" or "With Or Without You" or "One". Preferably something under five minutes.

Ummmm, no, these days are over. NLOTH is a great album, I really believe its greatness will unfold even more with time. It's among their best work, actually.

I'm glad to see U2 looking forward, not back, and that they are not going for short radio friendly stuff on this album.

Ummmm, no, these days are over. There are certain music fans who will always reduce U2 to three or four songs, because these are constantly played on the radio, and ignore the majority of their output.

NLOTH is a great album, I really believe its greatness will unfold even more with time. It's among their best work, actually.

I'm glad to see U2 looking forward, not back, that they are moving on and keep evolving, and that they are not going for short radio friendly stuff on this album.

Back
Top Bottom