U2's Increased Fan Interactions: Vulnerability and Safety Concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All this obsession with terrorism or weirdos, while statistically the risk is negligible. Gun related violence kills more Americans per year then the entire war in Iraq. Smoking kills more people per year, alcohol kills more people per year, drugs kill more people per year, obesity related illnesses kills more people per year, traffic kills more Americans per year, hell common household accidents kills more people per year. Basically doing stupid shit kills more people per year. And didn't Bono suffer two major accidents from doing stupid shit in 2010 and 2014?

We are all far more likely to die from doing stupid things ourselves. That is what we should be really worried about. And yet we worry far more about the almost negligible risk of some terrorist, or some crazy, coming along. Of course average statistics are not sexy enough to make it to the news, whereas terrorists and nutjobs are.

So what you're saying is that the band will and should stop interacting with fans because an obese drunk gun toting American might run them over while lighting his cigarette?

U2's The Edge on HBO's 'Innocence + Experience' Paris Gig, Eagles of Death Metal and New Album | Billboard
During “Elevation,” Bono brought several ardent fans on stage. In light of recent events, does an act have to rethink letting fans that close?

We never really sat down and had that conversation because I think it will be a really difficult one for us to even think about. Our relationship with our fans is so special to us and there is a huge amount of trust that goes both ways, so I would hate to ever imagine the need to roll back on that kind of freedom. So far I feel like we’re fine, but we had this very strange incident in Sweden [last September] where someone ended up in the venue with a [dismantled] firearm. We actually had to pull the show. We managed to reinstate the show within a couple of days and, in that instance, it was the most innocent of situations, someone just misjudging. Obviously security is paramount at a U2 show and we take it incredibly seriously, as any artist does these days, so we could not take a chance. But that is the only time ever that there’s been a sort of credible, serious threat or potential threat at a U2 show. We’re probably lucky, and we don’t take it for granted by any means, but we very much rue the day that we may have to change any of the ways that our shows are operated because it does mean a lot to us, the connection between the fans and ourselves.

To me, the quote that says: "we very much rue the day that we may have to change " tells me that at least 1% the possibility of limiting fan interaction is in their mind. Good for them.

350.png

But that is the only time ever that there’s been a sort of credible, serious threat or potential threat at a U2 show.

Obviously forgot about the bomb threat in '87, or whenever that was. Didn't they delay or stop the show?

To me, the quote that says: "we very much rue the day that we may have to change " tells me that at least 1% the possibility of limiting fan interaction is in their mind. Good for them.

If you're going to live your life on the odd chance that something might happen, you're not going to do much. At least not much worthwhile. So I hope they thought about it and rejected it, because as I said, the chance is negligible and certainly does not warrant this much attention when based on past behavior Bono is far more likely to get himself killed doing something stupid then by some crazed fan.

There's a Bono interview from 1997 where he said (quoting purely from memory): "Paranoia - that's a real rock star disease. On the last tour (Zoo TV) I was in my hotel room and I heard this BANG. And I was up and swinging at thin air. And all I had done was kick the suitcase off the bed". So I think they fully realize they cannot function on a day-to-day basis worrying about the (remote) possibility a lunatic has his or her sights on them. Also, George Harrison was attacked in his own fucking house, so it can happen anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom