U2's Glastonbury gig targeted by tax protesters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho, I totally get what you're saying, and actually agree with a lot of your points.

I wasn't defending the protesters, just giving it some local context for those like yourself who are outside the UK and so this might look like a new/unique thing, targeting Bono/U2 in particular. This crowd have been very vocal and high profile for some time, and they're going after all sorts.

The only security at the main stage is a few guys standing between the barrier and the stage itself - none anywhere else.

thats not strictly true, there are security roaming the field to make sure stuff's not going wrong. And when U2's playing there will be loads of them around. particularly at the top of field right at the back of the crowd where there's a path separating the field and campsite.
last year I saw gorillaz from right at the back and there were so many of them as well as actual police making sure the shoving didn't get so out of hand. The place was absolutely rammed and there was a lot of shoving and angry words flying about as people were trying to move out to another field:lol:

there's sort of entrances [not in a traditional arena-like sense] at all four corners of the field with security usually at each, my girlfriends brother got spotted without a wristband (their Dad does security over at another field so he never has one) and without any warning was grabbed and put in the back of a jeep and driven offsite!

all of that said, however, i doubt they'll manage to pick up on whats going on and that's if they cared about these people letting off these floats or whatever it is they're planning on doing. I just hope a bunch of people get pissed off and stop them :lol:

Really? I did see them doing crowd control where there are those bottlenecks going in, but I never saw any anywhere on the field for any of the three headliners. Although I was never near any trouble either, so maybe once that starts, they're ninja security or something and suddenly appear from everywhere out of nowhere.

Ok, heres my 2cents from last night, got into a debate with one of em protesters and at the end I just asked: How much taxes did you pay for that pot ur smoking atm, that shut him up for good :lol::D

saw him being arrested a bit later with punch of others lol, prolly for drugs tho :sexywink:

Ok, heres my 2cents from last night, got into a debate with one of em protesters and at the end I just asked: How much taxes did you pay for that pot ur smoking atm, that shut him up for good :lol::D

saw him being arrested a bit later with punch of others lol, prolly for drugs tho :sexywink:

Nice! I don't think any of them pay nearly as many taxes as Bono or U2 does and don't do anything to help out the world. They can suck it big time.

Nobody protested Willie Nelson for his refusal to pay taxes. Granted that was more of his accountants fault, but still!

Bono wore a belt buckle last night that looked like it had money on it. (Completely different than the one he's been wearing the whole tour) so it was definitely a change up just for the show yesterday.

:doh:

never thought of that, now waiting Coldplay on front row here, if they dont do a U2 snippet, am throwing my wooden reindeer down his throat :lol:

I went on a twitter fest against artgroup uk or whatever they are called yesterday basically saying i bet they dont pay anything near the taxes the band do, and that they would look like fools at the end of the day, and i was right :lol:

Bono wore a belt buckle last night that looked like it had money on it. (Completely different than the one he's been wearing the whole tour) so it was definitely a change up just for the show yesterday.
Yeah looks like it had small coins on it. :hmm: It could've indeed been some sort of statement. Would show a pretty nice sense of humour if so!

:doh:

never thought of that, now waiting Coldplay on front row here, if they dont do a U2 snippet, am throwing my wooden reindeer down his throat :lol:

:lol: So you retrieved your reindeer? I thought it got stolen last night. :up: Nice!
You're awesome btw. :heart: Thanks for keeping us posted on Glasto!

Yes, it was brought back to me, apparently I gave it to nearby tent for night to take care of 2 lonely girls lol, they were a bit scared to sleep :lol:

so gave em my reindeer to keep watch during night :lmao:

didnt remember it on morning tho as last band was bout 5:30 am :doh:

you can see me on BB King set apparently, got alot txt msg from it, someone pushed me along in a wheelcair and my niece who is taking care of my pets back home saw me too on BBC BB King set and send me a msg: whats that wheelcair was bout ? and said: what wheelcahair lol

JJAsi said:
you can see me on BB King set apparently, got alot txt msg from it, someone pushed me along in a wheelcair and my niece who is taking care of my pets back home saw me too on BBC BB King set and send me a msg: whats that wheelcair was bout ? and said: what wheelcahair lol

I seen you :lol:

Yes, it was brought back to me, apparently I gave it to nearby tent for night to take care of 2 lonely girls lol, they were a bit scared to sleep :lol:

so gave em my reindeer to keep watch during night :lmao:

didnt remember it on morning tho as last band was bout 5:30 am :doh:
:lol: Aw that's so nice of you!

Ooh I'll check that out. I'm REALLY curious for the costume now! What song should I look for?

=What song should I look for?

No idea yet sry :crack: posting it when Iget back from here, prolly going to Ireland where I just to be as an exchangestudent after this, and yes, you quessed it right, cause of U2 I got a degree abroad too :D

but, heres me, go to blue room to check my fb page :sexywink:
<a href="http://imgur.com/mG5qL" title="Hosted by imgur.com">http://imgur.com/mG5qL.jpg</a>

Galeongirl said:
Lucky man! :wink: I'll patiently wait for Santa then. Have fun @Cp!

Can i just say aswell bb is still looking mighty well fair play to him going up there in his 80's

Well... they copped it

Its inevitable when the band just grows irrelevant to "What's in" in the modern day music scene that the band that once had a message (The Irony etc) is now on the receiving end of "some goddamn punk kids" making a statement

*Plays Bon Iver's self titled record*

CrashedCarDriver said:
Well... they copped it

Its inevitable when the band just grows irrelevant to "What's in" in the modern day music scene that the band that once had a message (The Irony etc) is now on the receiving end of "some goddamn punk kids" making a statement

Copoed it? What does that even mean

CrashedCarDriver said:
Well... they copped it

Infact your post doesnt make any sense

Well... they copped it

Uh, what ...?

Infact your post doesnt make any sense

I think he's trying to say that U2 are no longer relevant. And while they once had a message that often mocked governments and corporations (such as their ironic statements of the 90's), they are now on the receiving end of such mockery by some "punk kids".

Of course, he's wrong on all points.

First, U2 are very relevant. In an era of massive illegal downloads, U2's albums still reach Platinum levels and they still generate Top 40 hits. NLOTH wasn't the biggest album, but many fans and fellow musicians love it (some proclaiming "Moment of Surrender" U2's best).

Plus, with the wild success of their tour (some minuscule accomplishment about it being the biggest ever), clearly U2 have a massive audience.

As for mockery, apparently time has allowed him to forget the 80's, where U2 received a lot of criticism during their early years and the preachy years. And let's not forget the backlash against R&H. In other words, there's always some "punk kids" making a statement against the "big guy". Fortunately U2's message is a LOT stronger.

doctorwho, you may not realise (not being in the UK) but the group behind the protest are involved in multiple/wide action on this subject. They're not suddenly singling out U2 as the great devil, but target multiple people/companies/examples to highlight an overall point. And it is the legal loopholes that they want closed. They're not claiming any of it is illegal. And it's extra hot because - again, not in the UK, you may not realise - it's tied to the massive cuts the government is making across all areas of their budget, having a real effect on various services. They - and to be fair, this issue has HUGE and very wide support here - are pissed because these cuts seem to, in the end, target the less fortunate exclusively, while those more fortunate are escaping 'their share' of any pain, in a variety of ways.

So there's huge anger at the bankers who caused this crisis and are seemingly getting away with it unpunished in any way, and these huge cuts taking place are seemingly mostly 'against' those who pay the most taxes (as a real % against ability) while those who should or can contribute the most are in all too many cases actually skirting it offshore.

I guess, in the most simplistic terms, this kind of sums up their point:

VodafoneTax.jpg

I think the anger and frustration is totally legitimate. I think the point they're making is totally understandable. I think they get their targets right sometimes (Philip Green as a savings consultant to the government is ridiculous) but I do agree that the detail in their argument isn't very strong, and that U2 are a poor/bad target, for a variety of reasons. As for whether the global tax game has any real, true affect on aid and development, I have no idea.

And you know what? The actual protest at Glastonbury doesn't matter. U2 themselves don't really matter. They're just trying to make a point and stir public awareness and debate. And just announcing the protest has done that. It's everywhere in the media here, so... the job is done. I'd say there's been more on it this week than there will be after the actual protest (unless they really create a scene or the band react poorly.)

And at least this is a peaceful and non-disruptive protest. These guys generally go more for the riot/smash things/burn things variety.

:up:

I think he's trying to say that U2 are no longer relevant. And while they once had a message that often mocked governments and corporations (such as their ironic statements of the 90's), they are now on the receiving end of such mockery by some "punk kids".

Of course, he's wrong on all points.

First, U2 are very relevant. In an era of massive illegal downloads, U2's albums still reach Platinum levels and they still generate Top 40 hits. NLOTH wasn't the biggest album, but many fans and fellow musicians love it (some proclaiming "Moment of Surrender" U2's best).

Plus, with the wild success of their tour (some minuscule accomplishment about it being the biggest ever), clearly U2 have a massive audience.

As for mockery, apparently time has allowed him to forget the 80's, where U2 received a lot of criticism during their early years and the preachy years. And let's not forget the backlash against R&H. In other words, there's always some "punk kids" making a statement against the "big guy". Fortunately U2's message is a LOT stronger.

^that's what Im trying to say, except me no Englishing!

Also what happened to free speech here?

Granted its a U2 forum... but you would have thought people here are better than "Leave Britney/ Justin Bieber alone" fanboys... :down:

What, are you new? People talk shit about U2 all the time around here. :wink:

But yeah, you shouldn't be surprised when people disagree with you. I didn't see any fanboying.

Back
Top Bottom