U2's favorite U2 songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In 2009, I believe they said the following:

Bono: ?
Edge: Running to Stand Still
Larry: Stuck In A Moment
Adam: Lemon (although it was difficult to tell for sure that he said that)

And I seem to recall Bono saying that he favors the following songs at various points:
Stay, Miss Sarajevo, Your Blue Room, Please, Vertigo.

There was an HBO show that lasted all of one episode (I think, maybe two) Dave Stewart hosted Bono and Edge, they actually took questions from the audience, I think Bono said that either Lemon or Acrobat was his favorite U2 song. One of those is right, the other is a conflation in my own mind, I'm sure.

Someone else around here saw it, so we'll get confirmation.
Or maybe you can search for that thread.

ETA-
I found the old thread (from 2006! holy shit).
It said nothing about it specifically.
Maybe I am not remembering it clearly.

In 2009, I believe they said the following:

Bono: ?
Edge: Running to Stand Still
Larry: Stuck In A Moment
Adam: Lemon (although it was difficult to tell for sure that he said that)

And I seem to recall Bono saying that he favors the following songs at various points:
Stay, Miss Sarajevo, Your Blue Room, Please, Vertigo.

Yea in Conversations with Michka Assayas he mentioned the first three. I think he's stated that MOS is one of his favourites sometime during the 360 tour too.

I knew that there was a reason why I don't like Mullen. Now I know what that reason is. :tsk:

Yea in Conversations with Michka Assayas he mentioned the first three. I think he's stated that MOS is one of his favourites sometime during the 360 tour too.

That doesn't surprise me. The band seemed to care about it a lot during the 360 Tour. I was deeply surprised (but very glad) that they played it at Glastonbury, for instance.

Bono's favorite U2 song seems to change about as quickly as my favorite U2 song!

I think Bono has said that Stay was one of his favorites, and I know that Edge has said that Streets is his favorite song to play live. Not sure if that translates to favorite song, period, though.

I was always under the impression that Adams Fave from many moons ago, was Drowning Man

That was from their appearance on Ireland's the late late show in 1988, Bono said Hawkmoon, Larry said Tomorrow I think edge said Running To Stand Still.

Adam seemed pretty hammered on that show and him saying Drowning Man could have beena bit of self depreciating humour, hopefully not though as it's a great choice.

Bono mentions Electrical Storm and Miss Sarajevo among his favorite songs somewhere, I think.

Larry said on an MSG interview during a Knicks game that Streets is the best U2 song, so that probably counts for something here.

If there is indeed a new U2 album later this year, it's safe to say that during promo interviews Bono will tell journalists his favourite U2 song of all time is whatever song he feels strongest about on the new album.

That said, you can sometimes pick the band's favourite U2 songs on the basis of which old, obscure tracks they go to quite some effort to play live - they obviously have an affection for Your Blue Room and Drowning Man, for instance. Lots of time went into getting those songs concert-ready despite their obscurity and despite Drowning Man never getting out of soundcheck.

Bono: Acrobat, Your Blue Room, Miss Sarajevo, Stay
Adam: Drowning Man
Larry: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

I know Bono was quoted saying something about "Kite" being the song that he'll be remembered for, or the song he'd like to be remembered for.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's his favorite, but it's clearly a song/vocal performance that he's proud of.

If there is indeed a new U2 album later this year, it's safe to say that during promo interviews Bono will tell journalists his favourite U2 song of all time is whatever song he feels strongest about on the new album.

To be fair, a lot of bands tend to say that their newest album is or has material that is their best in a long time. So U2 certainly isn't the only one in that category. And the band hasn't exactly been immune to criticize their material in the aftermath either... wasn't Bono already talking about how 'disjointed' the Bomb track listing was within a year of its release?

Back
Top Bottom