U2s/Bonos best songwriting period

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vlad n U 2

Blue Crack Addict
We all know that U2 can write very good/excellent songs but which period do you think their songwriting skills hit their high?

I'm not too sure but I'd go with the Zooropa-period because they songs such as "Lemon" and "Stay" which would be most songwriters dream to write.

Discuss...

:wave: Vlad n U 2

yeah I agree with your choice "Zooropa"
I would also include "Achtung Baby", I think both albums include Bono's most deep and heart felt lyrics, songs such as "love is Blindness" "One" "The First Time" and of course "Stay" feature beautiful lyrics with alot of emotion and meaning, the meloncolly in U2's music is one of the things that appealed mostly to me, I think longing and heartbreak are U2's most common theme, and they are displayed beautifully on both albums! Im also v impressed with the singing/writting techniques used on songs such as "Numb" [I know its Edge's song] but the lyrics are written to convey media overload, Edge sings a list of commands in a monatone voice to represent the media, and Larry shouts "I feel numb" in the chorus to represent an everyday person sick of media control and demands, and Bono sings the opposite wanting more and buying into everthing, I think this song is v impressive and experimental in lyrics melody and music an underrated masterpiece imo! other example's of this great technique are "The Fly" and "Lemon" , its experimentation like this that puts U2 ahead of all other rock bands for me, sorry long post! in short I think 1990 - 1993 was U2's best musical and lyrical period.

I would agree with the above assessments, and go on to say there have been the occasional gems in the 2000s. Lyrically, Walk On (cheesy/cliched as it is) still does it for me... the imagery is very powerful, despite it being fairly obvious. :reject: In terms of songwriting, i can never get enough of the melodies and counter melodies in Wild Honey. The playful side of U2, the guitars compliment each other, and the vocal melody is very up and down. Again, never one of their greatest/most complicated songs but the craft in terms of melody is great (imo)...

:wave: Vlad n U 2

yeah I agree with your choice "Zooropa"
I would also include "Achtung Baby", I think both albums include Bono's most deep and heart felt lyrics, songs such as "love is Blindness" "One" "The First Time" and of course "Stay" feature beautiful lyrics with alot of emotion and meaning, the meloncolly in U2's music is one of the things that appealed mostly to me, I think longing and heartbreak are U2's most common theme, and they are displayed beautifully on both albums! Im also v impressed with the singing/writting techniques used on songs such as "Numb" [I know its Edge's song] but the lyrics are written to convey media overload, Edge sings a list of commands in a monatone voice to represent the media, and Larry shouts "I feel numb" in the chorus to represent an everyday person sick of media control and demands, and Bono sings the opposite wanting more and buying into everthing, I think this song is v impressive and experimental in lyrics melody and music an underrated masterpiece imo! other example's of this great technique are "The Fly" and "Lemon" , its experimentation like this that puts U2 ahead of all other rock bands for me, sorry long post! in short I think 1990 - 1993 was U2's best musical and lyrical period.

:wave: Hi Ronnie

Yeah I agree with all of what you said there,
Although I think there are a few songs on AB which are a tad bit cheesy.

Although for me, 91-96 is my favourite period, in terms of song writing, I think it's hard to beat UF-JT-R&H period.

Pop.
definitly
Before Pop, most texts were pretty juvenile and forced mature, on Pop songs are written full of life experience, questions, doubts and surities.
After Pop, things are getting cheesy

Before Pop, most texts were pretty juvenile and forced mature, on Pop songs are written full of life experience, questions, doubts and surities.

Ummm, what? The Joshua Tree has juvenile lyrics?

Excuse me, but JT has some of the best lyrics ever written by anyone.
U2 have been "mature" songwriters from the very beginning.

To me it's clearly 84-97.... i know it's a long period, but lyrically it's the best one.
Musically, each album has great songs, but I guess 84-91 is the best one.

Maybe 2009 will be the best ? :D

Ok, Joshua Tree has great lyrics, more poetic however, besides it's my favorite album, especially RTSS and One Tree Hill, but still Pop has more 'life expercience', realistic and deep goingness on it

Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree were pretty good! IMO the lyrical highlight is the trilogy Achtung Baby - Zooropa - POP. With POP being the max! Indeed, like previous people mentioned, after that it is getting cheesy. Seems that the inspiration/creativity was a little bit gone in the ATYCLB and HTDAAB period. Too many "kneels" and sentences like "the air is heavy, heavy as a truck" and "Freedom has a scent, Like the top of a new born baby’s head"...

Bono maybe spends too much time on that Africa-topic. Maybe he should focus on music and write some really good lyrics again. He can become an American after his musical career and run for president. I really have the feeling politicians are using him now...

If we're defining "period" as an album, like most seem to be doing then I think AB or JT have to win, despite how cliched that may be, for they are probably the most consistent.

And it seems like everyone is focusing on lyrics as songwriting...

If that's the case I think no way would it be Zooropa or Pop. Both great albums, but both have too many throw aways... Numb, Some Days, Disco, Miami, etc...

If we're talking lyrically, I don't think Achtung Baby can be beat.

Joshua Tree had good lyrics, but to me, it seems like Joshua Tree was the setup and Achtung Baby was the full realization of what Bono's words could become.

"One", "Until The End of the World", "So Cruel", and "Acrobat" rank among my list of best set of lyrics ever.

A word on the newer albums, since it's only a matter of time before they get bashed:

I think that ATYCLB has appropriate lyrics. I don't think a huge poetic tongue twister of a lyric would work on any one of those songs. That whole album was about simplicity. Simple songs, simple ideas. So, fittingly, you get simple words. Compare that with Achtung Baby, which is about the complexities of the downside of a relationship. Achtung was so much more well suited for a lyrical masterpiece.

Though I love Bomb, I do think it could have been a bit better lyrically. Some songs really worked lyrically for me (SYCMIOYO, CoBL, One Step Closer), others didn't do much at all (Miracle Drug, Crumbs).

As for lyrics, I would definitely say Pop. Every song has more complex, extended metaphors that simultaneously reflect very deep emotional issues he was going through at the time.

regarding songwriting...well...I've actually gone back to the first 3 sometimes. I don't think it's as POLISHED songwriting, but the complexity of the changes is unparalleled... it seems that every instrument, except maybe the bass, plugs in many different parts in each song. It has a much more raw spirit because of that. I dunno if you call this songwriting or not, but sheer inventiveness. Basically, I really enjoy decontstructing all those early song, especially on October.

Songwriting as a CRAFT, though...as in polished... would probably be the latest albums. They're really really great songwriters now.

If we're defining "period" as an album, like most seem to be doing then I think AB or JT have to win, despite how cliched that may be, for they are probably the most consistent.

And it seems like everyone is focusing on lyrics as songwriting...

If that's the case I think no way would it be Zooropa or Pop. Both great albums, but both have too many throw aways... Numb, Some Days, Disco, Miami, etc...

:yes:

Pop.
definitly
on Pop songs are written full of life experience, questions, doubts and surities.
After Pop, things are getting cheesy

Yep, I also think Bono's best lyrics are on Pop! As you mentioned- I'm so fascinated by those doubts and questions coming up in those lyrics. I always wonder, what happened in Bono's life during this time, as lyrics somehow represent a period in Bono's (U2s) life. :reject: The lyrics are also pretty complex and include metaphors and that's why those lyrics are maybe more difficult to understand (in contrast to the last albums :shrug: )

I wouldn't say the Bomb + ATYCLB are cheesy, they are imo even full of the experiences U2 made in their lives. They are just more "down to earth" and in a way it feels like Bono/U2 are more self-confident and finally "found what they were looking for" in their lives. For me, it feels like those doubts and questions apparent on Pop are gone!
Sorry, I hope that doesn't sound strange... :reject:

lyrically POP is hit and miss
brilliant as often as quite poor
Bono also really started to exhaust some of the themes in his songs (Gone, Staring at the sun, Mofo, Please)
the overall songwriting is also hit & miss I guess

so, yeah, though they were at their peak during Unforgettable Fire - Rattle & Hum they're probably at their best as songwriters now

Achtung Baby->Pop was the best era, with UF->JT in a close second place.

All I can say is that Zooropa, although it may not be the best overall, has some fucking awesome lyrics.....

Songs like Lemon and Stay...oh wow...UNBELIEVABLE....

All I can say is that Zooropa, although it may not be the best overall, has some fucking awesome lyrics.....

Seconded. They blast my mind. :rockon:

Third...ed I was just about to post this, you took the words straight out of my mouth.

Although I have to say, if Zooropa may not be the best overall, it's pretty close. Lemon....I swear....is a masterpiece

Back
Top Bottom