U2's Best Chorus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think my favorites are Your Blue Room Kite, and Ultraviolet.

I'll also go ahead and say that WGRYWH has the best bridge.

Surrender, Two Hearts Beat As One, Lemon, Drowning Man, Stay, Wire, Indian Summer Sky, One Tree Hill, Red Hill Mining Town, Tomorrow, In God's Country, I Fall Down.
Yeah Lemon is up there for me - especially the first falsetto after the second verse when the piano keys begin...wow

This is an almost impossible list to make, so I will choose only one from each album (and in some cases a runner-up):

Shadows And Tall Trees

I Fall Down

Surrender (runner up for me is Red Light; I guess I really love the Coconuts)

A Sort Of Homecoming (this was really, really hard; The Unforgettable Fire is my all-time favorite album by anyone, so I could make an argument for any one of the songs)

The Three Sunrises (not exactly on a proper album, but this is probably the most joyous, ecstatic chorus in the entire U2 canon; it was Beautiful Day before Beautiful Day was Beautiful Day; in fact, you can hear actual traces of it in The Three Sunrises)

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (especially the harmony vocals that come forward on the last two repetitions, which is probably my favorite moment on any U2 track; Bono's "woo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo"s and Edge's almost alien-sounding "ssssskyyyyy" on BTBS puts it in runner-up status)

Heartland (the free-form backing vocals and Bono's final wail are transcendent; the chorus of Hawkmoon 269 makes it a very, very, very close second; I still remember walking into Record Town at Ballston Common in Arllington, VA, on release day in 1988 and hearing "when the niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight has nooooooooooo eeeeeeeend / and the daaaaaaaaaaaaaay yet to begiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin / as the roooooooooooooooooooooom spins arouuuuuund / I need your love" over the speakers and being so floored by it)

The Fly (this is a textbook perfect use of two vocals in a chorus, and the chorus takes you from a world of dirty, bluesy, buzzing guitars straight to up heaven; runner up is the vocal free-for-all in the chorus of Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World)

Lemon (this song is too goddamn short; I can trance out to its numerous choruses continuously for hours and hours and hours and not get bored)

Your Blue Room (I remember working at Media Play in 1995 and hearing an advanced copy of Passengers emanating from the speakers, and Bono's falsetto "saw me coming" cut right through the electronic din of the rest of the store)

Discotheque (that bent-string guitar lick was sorely missed in the live version; it is followed closely by the album version of Gone, with the almost Asian-sounding piano riff; I never really liked Edge's chiming guitar riff on the live or rerecorded versions)

When I Look At The World (the only song I really like on ATYCLB; it's a shame they never played it live)

A Man And A Woman (the one song I still really like on HTDAAB; I really wish they'd released it as a single and played it live)

A big honorable mention goes out to A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel, with its Hawkmoon-like harmonizing and the female "hallelujah" chorus that became part of Running To Stand Still on Zoo TV.

Back
Top Bottom