U2's "baby fans", "old timers", and in-betweens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I teach high school and I'm always surprised to find a student who likes U2. I actually managed to convert one of my kids, over the course of 3 years, to a massive fan and took him to the 360 show in Phx. (He was going to come to Oakland too but can't afford it :sad: ). The ones who do like u2, tend to be the "mellower" students - not real partiers, not too many jocks... but I'm generalizing - star baseball player listed COBL as one of his favorite songs.

I started with UF and wore out my tape of it. I saw R&H in the theatres with my friends, also fans. I didn't get obsessed until ATYCLB.

I think more than age, it has to do with your personality and your exposure to the band. Most kids I know just haven't heard enough of them to make an opinion -they just know "they're old". :shrug:

At 43 I am one the old timers...I have been a fan since I was in high school back in the 80's and fondly remember playing my U2 records while I did my homework. I still listen to their music all the time, but now it's on CD or my iPod. My sister, who is 5 years younger than I am, never liked U2 while we were growing. (She now says it's because I liked them so much...but really it's beacause she was into Bon Jovi and other "hair" bands!) Finally, after bringing her to a 360 show last year she has become a super fan and is going to 2 shows with me this summer.

My son who is in 6th grade told me that a lot of his classmates like U2. So I guess a bunch of us "old-timers" have been raising new "baby-fans"!

By some really weird and stupid twist of fate I guess, I actually bought BOY the week it was released, but never got to listen to it... then waited 25 years to buy another U2 album and only then become a true fan. It took HTDAAB to do that for me.

:ohmy: Dayum! That's wild...but cool in a way. Kinda goes to show how wierd fate can be!

I teach high school and I'm always surprised to find a student who likes U2. I actually managed to convert one of my kids, over the course of 3 years, to a massive fan and took him to the 360 show in Phx.:

That's awesome :up: I hope to have this kind of luck when I (hopefully) become a teacher.

I think more than age, it has to do with your personality and your exposure to the band. Most kids I know just haven't heard enough of them to make an opinion -they just know "they're old". :shrug:

This is a good point, about personality. I always thought it was so silly when other kids would say, "Oh, they're old"...I was like, "They're not old" :huh: I don't consider them to be "old" but I guess it's just a matter of your outlook and personality as you said. I've personally always related well to people older than myself- at times, even better than people my own age. Age itself is sort of irrelevant to me. Between someone who's say, 50, and really into U2, and someone who is 20 and doesn't really like them...I will absolutely get along far better with the 50 year old.

I love everyone's stories :heart: I couldn't even pinpoint why seeing a bunch of U2's videos one night on MTV sent me into the frenzy that it did. I guess something just clicked, and at that point (the night before my 15th birthday), I really needed something to love and believe in.

I knew and liked their radio hits from the 80's and early 90's when I was younger, but I didn't start listening to music in earnest until 1998 when I was 10/11, and getting my music from VH1 gave me some really 'great' selections back then haha, I had just missed out on a U2 era and they were off the map for awhile so it wasn't until Beautiful Day dropped that I started to pay attention, I remember thinking that it sounded like a song that had (in my life) always been around but I hadn't been aware of it. Of course now as a audiophile and obsessive fan its easy to see how modern it is. But it wasn't until Walk On took off on the radio that U2 really reached me personally and showed me the depth and emotion popular music can have, and that changed my perspective on them and music in general. Now the music I hold in the highest regard is poetic, emotional, and based on real feelings and events, in addition to being engaging on a melodic, compositional or productional level (in U2's case they fit all of those categories). So unfortunately I'd also missed out on the chance to see them on Elevation, but I began to become a fan in earnest during their next hiatus, and loved hearing Electrical Storm when it leaked and rooting for Hands That Built America during the awards season of 2002/03. So it was during the buildup to the Bomb's release and following it that I got all of their albums and became hopelessly obsessed. Bought all the DVDs, saw the Vertigo tour live, and have been a Blue Crack lover since just after that concert. 2009 was a pretty terrible year for me emotionally, but having U2 there in the spotlight the whole year through, with a number of optimistic new tracks, and multiple 360 tour dates to look forward to and experience helped a lot. My mother was a casual fan of U2 since their rise in the 80s, but together we've become bigger and bigger fans going to shows on both of the last two tours together.

As a Christian I also enjoy the earnestness of their faith, and the poetic way that comes through in Bono and Edge's lyrics.

As an audio-junky I love the collaboration they have with Lanois and Eno and the continued dedication to recording as an art-form in the days of compressed MP3 music made for selling ringtones.

U2 mean so much to me that I do nitpick with idiots who'd rather listen to recycled cynical trash or tell me how U2 always sound the same, as if hallmarks equate sameness. Personally they inspire me as they are 4 best friends who fight it out but stick together and come around for the love of the music (sure they make a ton of cash, but they only tour when they've got new music they're proud of) and add something indescribable live while most modern acts simply try and sound like album recordings. Bono gets maligned for having an ego or a 'god complex' which I find to be ridiculous, reading more and more about him there's so much more insecurity that he covers up with his stage presence, and the fact that he's famous and using his influence and money for important causes makes him so much more worthy of media coverage than the rag tabloid celebrities my generation worships.

U2 did not really pop out for me until i was 15 , my parents are basically stuck somewhere between the 60's and the 90's if where talking music. First I have to recognize their influence on me. My dad always had records, shitloads of them, I always loved listening to the beatles together with him , and to bob marley with my mom. (( for me those are 2 pretty big links)) then , he bought shitload of cd's , and now he's buying shitloads of dvd's and blurays too.
So : Music ment more that average , to my parents , which they obviously passed on in a much worser variant on me.
So I grew up with allot of classic rock , which also included u2.
at the age of i think, 15 I all the singles and tracks of ATYCLB.
I started to realize what u2 was, mostly that guy with the shades. But sill no real connection. I didn't listen to anything that closely, those days.
U2 is usually pretty deep stuff and when I was little (still am) I didn't need that,
I needed good melody's and happy tracks.

I also remember a year. I was watching the movie Sunday Bloody Sunday((link 3)),
and when I heard and saw it with u2's track under it ,
it teared me up. First time I cried at a movie , ever.
I remember going up to my bedroom afterwards, and began drawing stuff about it. ( thats the weird shit artist do :lol:)
This must have been between now and 8 years since it was at the house where I now live. But I can't remember when.

In 2004, was really the year for me I began listening, focusing on lyrics.
Lyrics started to make me feel good, confident , or either soothed me , or gave me a thing to lean on. I was having a shit time. Which I read back allot here to , so the emotional state of a person obviously infects the u2 -fans around, because thats when you develop your emotional side so much, and also kind of start choosing sides and opinions to..

This all was mostly triggered by Greendays American Idiot.
Now where are coming to the link. Greenday collaborated with u2 in the saint are comming video. (( Link 4 )) And there is U2 in my picture.
The vertigo clip couldn't be missed each day. It was massive , and so thats where they basically cought my interest. The man in the shades and the long hair bouncing up and down, really got my attention and interested me so much.
You can tell he is great front man.
Then I bought the HTDAAB album. (( Link 5 to total fandom )) Wich blew my brains away.

Started exploring more of their albums , and found out they where basically so talented, and diverse. Which I find really important.
You can listen to this band in every mood.

Basically it kept on coming back to me. Thats my story basically , hope that helps tough.
I pretty much never post in here . (Sorry for any spelling errors, English isn't my native language but you know that :D)

I heard U2 on the radio 10 years ago when I was 6 and remember Beautiful Day being on the radio. I really remember my dad driving and me wanting so badly to sing the words but I didn't know them.:lol: I didn't become a fan then though I always think that was a hint at what was to come.

Fast forward about 4 years later and my dad (once again) was watching U2 Vertigo 05 Live from Chicago that premiered on DirecTV's The 101. I was standing in the kitchen when I looked, went,, sat down and watched the video. I was amazed at the awesomeness of their songs! I recorded it (thank god for a DVR) and watched that thing every chance I got. I even went out and bought the DVD, the CD got scratched after sometime, and bought it again! Sure not their best concert film but it's sooooo important to me. That same year I got HTDAAB for Christmas and, unlike others here, cherished that album. I still do.:drool:

Referring back to the DVD, I remember seeing Edge on the DVD and something about his playing, his style made me really really want to pick up guitar again. I had started before but I quit shortly there after. I was so influenced I went to try to "play" the guitar I had but I didn't know how.:reject::lol: My dad asked if I wanted to take lessons and BAM! a little more than 4 years later I'm writing my own tunes and loving music. And it's all thanks to The Edge and U2! I really want to meet them, especially Edge, to let them know that they are my heroes. If it weren't for them who knows how I would have turned out. My clothing style instantly changed because of U2. Everything did. The music I listen to, my personality, my style. They give me a way to relax and take stress off my mind. That's why I listen to them around the time of end of the year testing in school. Thank God for a band like U2!:D

I totally almost forgot to mention my dad and I went to see a 360 show when it came to Raleigh. Wrote about it here:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f307/october-3-2009-raleigh-north-carolina-202127.html

What I would also like to know is what the "veterans" think about the Newbies.
I went to a 360 gig last year, and the four guys behind me where acting really bothersome.
They obviously had a problem with my age, and they where not scared to show it either.
Not only untill they saw me singing every word of ultraviolet they stopped making fun of me.

Now , I can see that you can make a judgment by my age and appearance. thinking that I'm sort of shrieking fan girl, coming with her mom, thats buying up all of your tickets , but honestly , what do you guys think of us. I'd really like to know, because I know not all of you guys are like those 4 men.

Well, there are jackasses among all the age groups of fans.

I would hazard a guess that anyone who has a problem with other fans based solely on their age is probably an asshole.

My clothing style instantly changed because of U2. Everything did. The music I listen to, my personality, my style.

:shifty: So I'm not the only one! I went through this bigtime at first...being a girl, though, the clothing thing didn't go so great for me :lol: It levelled off, though.

I went to a 360 gig last year, and the four guys behind me where acting really bothersome.
They obviously had a problem with my age, and they where not scared to show it either.
Not only untill they saw me singing every word of ultraviolet they stopped making fun of me.

Now , I can see that you can make a judgment by my age and appearance. thinking that I'm sort of shrieking fan girl, coming with her mom, thats buying up all of your tickets , but honestly , what do you guys think of us. I'd really like to know, because I know not all of you guys are like those 4 men.

That's really rude. I have to say, I only experieced really great people at the shows...but that was kind of what I was talking about. I feel like I have to prove myself, y'know? I don't want to be labeled "silly little fangirl". I think 95% of the people aren't like those guys...but really, how unbelievably rude. And you know I think your English is spectacular :wink:

Edit: What Cori said.

Having some sort of "I was here first" snob attitude about bands is soooo 1990s. :wink:

Seriously - that's so ridiculous. People who act like that need to grow up and realize that they're not some sort of privileged bunch because they happened to be born earlier.

You guys don't need to prove anything to anyone.

I have always had that thought...we have no control over when we're born. If we did, I would have made mine earlier, fer sher.

I suppose a lot of people have various reasons for being annoyed by other people at concerts.

Maybe they were worried that your youthful energy meant that you might be jumping so high as to block their view and scream so loud you'd pierce their eardrums.

:wink:

I got into U2 in the summer of 1995, and I was 13. At that point kids my age were mostly into bands like Green Day, Bush, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and of course, Nirvana. Being a U2 was very uncool at that time, and being cool was of the highest priority. However, it's almost like U2's music chose me. I remember "Hold me etc..." was something of a hit at the time, and I was into it. Then I remember on 4th of July VH1 had a A to Z video marathon, and we had VH1 on in the background during a family barbeque. I hadn't really given them much thought at the time, except that my Dad had R&H (although he would only listen to "Pride"). But here were all these great videos: Desire, Mysterious Ways, HMTMKMKM, One, New Years Day, Joshua Trio, SBS, and WGRYWH. I was glued to the TV. I knew most of those songs, but never really paid attention. I immediately got out my Dad's R&H cd and played the crap out of it.

Eventually my parents bought me JT & AB, and I was obsessed. I managed to convert my brother and 2 of my friends, and we had our own kind of secret U2 society... still do. Then Pop came out... public perception of U2 went down the toilet... such was life back then. We were quite rediculed in my HS for being U2 fans. But we didn't care. I would watch Rattle & Hum, Zoo TV Sydney or Red Rocks almost daily. I was a member of Propaganda. My friends, my brother and I went to the Popmart show in Columbus, and our lives were changed. We knew everybody else was missing out.

By the time college rolled around, ATYCLB and HTDAAB happened, and it was cool to be into U2 again. It was great to finally meet other U2 fans. Now I'm 28, married, and could care less what's cool or not because I sure am not! Sure, I like a lot of other bands. I actually don't listen to U2 more than a few times a week usually. But all other bands just make music that I might happen to like... U2's music reaches me on a deeper level that I'll never be able to explain to anybody.

I always liked their music, as long as i could remember, but if there was a defining moment or moments to me it would revolve around AB & ZooTV. The first time i heard EBTTRT on the radio, i was like "whoa, that was cool", but i really had no idea that was even u2. Later on i heard more singles, and i was aware of this new sound from this band. I saw them in all the magazines, all over mtv, back when mtv actually had something to do with music. I noticed how cool Bono seemed with his big black sunglasses and he was always smoking and acting kinda drunk back then. I guess i sort of identified with that. I was still in the military and one day i bought the VHS copy of ZOOTV live f/ Sydney. I didnt watch it right away because i was out partying with some friends or something like that, but when i came home and watched it i was totally and completely blown away. Who were these guys, afterall? WTF???

I would watch the video "the fly" to get me in the mood to go out on the town. I was always the life of the party, even if i wasn't always feeling up to it, so it helped if i had a little bit of character study to add to my own insanity. The first time i actually heard PoP was in Korea, while down in Itaewon shopping district, i went up to a little bar overlooking the busiest intersection in town and my friend and i decided to have a beverage at the bar. While i was looking over the cd cover, the bartender came up to me and inquired about the cd. I gave it to him and he stuck it in his radio. By the time the song MOFO blared throughout the little bar, my friend and i were giving each other "WTF" glances at the sound coming through the speakers. But amidst the cacaphony of car horns and angry shouts from stalled motorists in the traffic jam down below us, this song and these sounds actually made some sense.

I didnt catch them in concert until sometime in late 97 in St Louis, PoPmart, and that was quite an experience. I wont go into detail since we have so many underage folks in here. :sexywink: It lived up to its billing, and then some!

Anyhoo..fast forward to the year 2001 and i went to four shows that year and got to see the band up close for the first time. Actually had some interaction with 3 of the band members (all but Larry) during these shows. Also Don Henley and the Gwen Stefani :drool::drool::drool: tooo.

This was a weird time for me, got laid off from work and had to live for 8 months or so on my savings and basically just drank a lot of my time away. I was kind of a MOFO back then but i really had good intentions. It was a weird time and place to be, kind of floating around the world looking at life through glass bottles and foamy clouds billowing in the breeze of our imagination. I couldnt even tell you if that time was real or not...well it was...but still.

I was lost and finally the heavens parted to show me a new way home, but i wasn't going there without a fight. Im still not going there completely, because i like it here too much. Here in the spaces between the distance of my journey and destination. I believe in destiny as much as i believe in fate and that joy and rage hold a similair power. Intoxicating, both, as power often is.

I have some very personal regrets but many many more triumphs and blessings as a result of this....journey....odyssey. I often wonder if that peroid of bliss is only fortelling of greater things to come. We have the gift of "sight" for a brief time on this planet, and then it goes away like the setting of the sun. It's a grand vision though, looking out from the mountain top at the orange sunset on the purple horizon...you know it wont last long but everything about it is....just....so right.

I ran into Paul McGuinness in Atlanta, in 2001, and i asked him why they haven't played in my state in sooo long. He rambled on a bit about how they played there back in 1980-something and so forth. I told him that wasn't good enough and they needed to play there again...and soon! Fast forward to last year, and you know, damn they played in my hometown and state for the first time in 26 years. It was an amazing night, under the stars and curious low flying planes and a cold, blowing wind. U2 rocked the stadium rich on football tradition and now all i can think about when i go past this big stadium emblazoned with all of our history and our National Championships, all i can think about is that night the irish boys came to town and brought their traveling roadshow / space ship along with them. What a special night....i honestly think...after all these years that i have been a superfan without wavering...i would follow these guys to the end of time.

Next stop: Utah...we'll see where that takes us on this crazy journey.....

Sorry about that.:reject:

:lol:

I judged a group of male fans in front of me at the second Chicago show last fall. They were clearly already half in the bag and made multiple beer runs, and for much of the show, they seemed more interested in shouting in each other's ears (and blocking my short-ass-self's view) than watching the concert.

But one guy - this one guy - was having the time of his life, really into the show and having such an obviously good time, that I felt bad for lumping them all in as a bunch of doofuses (doofi?) that were there to hang out and get drunk.

Then he and I shared wonderful minutes of shared glee when we jumped around together happily during Streets. Then he kissed my cheek as we all left the field at the end.

Good times.

That sucks, but I don't think that's a common attitude - at least in my experience. You just had incredibly bad luck to run into some jerks.

When I went to the Minneapolis show in 2005 at age 38 I met a bunch of college students and a guy who was probably in his mid-40s who had brought his 11-year-old son with him. We all got along fabulously during the eight-hour wait in the GA line.

:ohmy: Dayum! That's wild...but cool in a way. Kinda goes to show how wierd fate can be!

It is wild! I remember the day clearly, buying an album from a brand new band no one had heard of yet. Not cool that that I never listened to it and missed 25 years of awesome concerts. THAT sucks. :wink: Just glad I finally came around and caught up. :)

Back in mid-1984, a school friend of mine got very excited when U2 announced a tour of Australia. I had no idea who they were so he lent me Under a Blood Redy Sky over a weekend.

I immediately bought Boy, October, War and UABRS on cassette and beta-video(!). A few months later my aunt, who worked for a record pressing company, acquired a pre-release copy of Unforgettable Fire for me.

I spent 1985 collecting their back catalogue 7", LP, cassettes etc and I joined Propaganda. I have been a die-hard fan ever since. I recently calculated that I've spent $30,000 on merchandise (DVD, CD, vinyl, collectables etc) over the past 25 years.

I've been to 9 concerts in Australia & 2 in England, and have met the band once.

In 1992 I called in sick at work so I could camp 3 days outside Manchester NEC to get front row tickets to ZooTV. I also got front row at Earls Court 1992 (courtesy of Propaganda) and Popmart Sydney, and into the elipse twice for Vertigo.

:lol:

I judged a group of male fans in front of me at the second Chicago show last fall. They were clearly already half in the bag and made multiple beer runs, and for much of the show, they seemed more interested in shouting in each other's ears (and blocking my short-ass-self's view) than watching the concert.

But one guy - this one guy - was having the time of his life, really into the show and having such an obviously good time, that I felt bad for lumping them all in as a bunch of doofuses (doofi?) that were there to hang out and get drunk.

Then he and I shared wonderful minutes of shared glee when we jumped around together happily during Streets. Then he kissed my cheek as we all left the field at the end.

Good times.

That sucks, but I don't think that's a common attitude - at least in my experience. You just had incredibly bad luck to run into some jerks.

When I went to the Minneapolis show in 2005 at age 38 I met a bunch of college students and a guy who was probably in his mid-40s who had brought his 11-year-old son with him. We all got along fabulously during the eight-hour wait in the GA line.

:cute: Allow me a moment of gushing over these stories...*awww*

The people that I hung out with in the lines were off all ages, and came from all over the place. I've never felt so connected to people...and people I'd never met before, at that!!

And...I also had a group of drunks in front of me at the one show I had seats at in September. I thought...ahh, look at these peeps, they're just here to get drunk...and then they were swaying along, singing all the words to all the songs! I was very fond of them by the end of the show.

This is awesome, everyone is pouring out their hearts :love: Mrs. Garrison- quite a story!

The people that I hung out with in the lines were off all ages, and came from all over the place. I've never felt so connected to people...and people I'd never met before, at that!!

Me too! Since where I live, which is the middle of no where, I don't meet U2 fans and join up quite like I did at the 360 show. People who had similar taste to me and people I could really relate to. I was so awe struck at the HUGE crowd of U2 fans gathering in this stadium.:hyper: Words cannot describe the magic of that one night. I am consantly wanting to relive that one night. It makes me want to go to more U2 shows. I shed a tear at that show (I'm willing to admit that) and I believe nothing else could have had that effect on me.

*sigh*

Feeling a little old. I got into U2 after seeing "Live at Red Rocks" on MTV---way back when they actually played music. I was hooked, there was something so inspiring, exuberant and rebellous about them. I missed the R&H tour, couldn't get tickets. My fandom sorta faded in the mid-ninties but I fell back in love after getting free tickets to see them on the Elevation tour. It was like seeing a long lost love---and since then---I've been on the crazy-town fan train. Now my son is 8 and he'll be seeing his 2nd show this summer. I think I have the makings of a super fan.....he actually wanted to wait in the GA for the next show, but I don't think he's up for that quite yet!!!

AND I think the best thing about U2--is all of the nice people I've met, through Interference and at shows. :cute:

I was getting all mad for a second when I read 'way back when they actually played music' and thought of it in relation to U2, not MTV :lol:. I'm fried from papers and it being way too hot in my house.

I got into U2 back in 2001. My dad kept on putting "The Best of 1990-2000" at home, and I saw the Elevation show on NBC that same year. I listened to more albums, and then I started buying probably the only concert DVDs I watch in full (that would be U2's). By 2007 I was a hardcore fan. Now, I'm what I consider a "real fan", with 6 DVDs and almost 100 songs (album + live versions of some songs). Overdue, I know, but after 9 years of waiting, I'll be going to my first U2 show this year, with the guy that got me into U2 (and I still thank him till this day), my dad. Miami, here I come.

I consider myself a baby fan. Maybe an in-between. :up:

I shed a tear at that show (I'm willing to admit that) and I believe nothing else could have had that effect on me.

I cried too :yes:

Hmm, I'll tell my story...it's been a loooong time since I've told it.

I was watching TV with my dad, on the night of November 20th 2004, but I had the remote and I was channel surfing. For some reason I stopped on MTV, even though as we all know, they stopped playing music long ago. Well, my dad then told me not to change the channel...SBS Red Rocks video was playing. The song sounded vaguely familiar, like I'd heard it when I was very young. They then played ISHFWILF, WOWY, One, Beautiful Day, and Streets, in that order. When I went to bed, I was aware that something was starting to happen in my mind. I searched the house next day for any U2 albums my mom may have owned. I found three- War, JT, and AB. Within a week, I was absolutely hooked, and there was no turning back! At a time when I was desperately searching for myself and somewhere to belong, I sort of just fell into it when I wasn't even trying. And then my whole life just smoothed right out, like magic. Some friends didn't like this change I'd gone through, made fun, and we grew apart. Some friends I became closer to, and actually had sucess in "converting" several.
Even though I had known a lot of the songs growing up (Pride had actually been an early childhood favorite), it was only at this moment when it all came together. And to think, if my dad had never come down to watch TV that night...everything could be different!

I cried too :yes:

Hmm, I'll tell my story...it's been a loooong time since I've told it.

I was watching TV with my dad, on the night of November 20th 2004, but I had the remote and I was channel surfing. For some reason I stopped on MTV, even though as we all know, they stopped playing music long ago. Well, my dad then told me not to change the channel...SBS Red Rocks video was playing. The song sounded vaguely familiar, like I'd heard it when I was very young. They then played ISHFWILF, WOWY, One, Beautiful Day, and Streets, in that order. When I went to bed, I was aware that something was starting to happen in my mind. I searched the house next day for any U2 albums my mom may have owned. I found three- War, JT, and AB. Within a week, I was absolutely hooked, and there was no turning back! At a time when I was desperately searching for myself and somewhere to belong, I sort of just fell into it when I wasn't even trying. And then my whole life just smoothed right out, like magic. Some friends didn't like this change I'd gone through, made fun, and we grew apart. Some friends I became closer to, and actually had sucess in "converting" several.
Even though I had known a lot of the songs growing up (Pride had actually been an early childhood favorite), it was only at this moment when it all came together. And to think, if my dad had never come down to watch TV that night...everything could be different!

That's awesome :) :up: U2 has so many of these kinds of stories. There's something really special about them. :heart:

I would hazard a guess that anyone who has a problem with other fans based solely on their age is probably an asshole.
You called????? ;)

I admit, I have mixed feelings about younger fans. I'm so ancient I got into U2 in high school when Gloria was released, and noone, but noone, knew who they were. At the same time, I got into the whole alternative indie British music thing, Echo and The Smiths and Alarm and Waterboys and REM (OK not British), anything that wasn't bogan Aussie pub rock :lol: And all these bands were less than 10 years older than I was or thereabouts. The only old codgers I got into around that time was the Beatles. Wasn't really interested in any band that much older than me.

Then over the years, U2 got bigger and bigger. I still kept with them. I don't always relate to what U2 are up to these days: the Bono I fell in lurve with in 1981 isn't a Bono I totally relate to now.

It's probably why I don't always understand why someone in their teens now is a fan of U2. If I was 15 I'd be lusting after some 20 year old, not some grizzly dude of 50!!! I loved John Lennon when I was a wee lass, but the Revolver Lennon, not the Plastic Ono Band Lennon. :D

I can see that musically, U2 might have more to offer today's music fan than most of the crap out there, but again, if I was a wee lass, I'd probably be getting into MGMT or somesuch bands I don't know about cos I'm not down with the kidz.

Still, whatever rocks your boat....

Back
Top Bottom