U22: Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starvela

The Fly
I was wanting to get some thoughts on Zooropa from U22...Did they mix/distort his voice for this particular live release..? I was watching some of his live performances on youtube and voice isn't distorted on any of those :confused:

I was wanting to get some thoughts on Zooropa from U22...Did they mix/distort his voice for this particular live release..? I was watching some of his live performances on youtube and voice isn't distorted on any of those :confused:

There is definitely a phaser or flanger effect on Bono's voice. It's possible it was added in the post production of the song, more than likely the quality of the live performance on YouTube wasn't clear enough to hear the effect.

There is definitely a phaser or flanger effect on Bono's voice. It's possible it was added in the post production of the song, more than likely the quality of the live performance on YouTube wasn't clear enough to hear the effect.

That's what I thought also, but some of the performances are very clear such as the U2.com from Mexico and the Broadcast from Brasil..and noticed a big difference..I think it was indeed added in the post production of the song for this particular release..Which for some reason I dislike, they should just leave it alone..

I will have to check the tapes. I can tell you for sure in a few days when I'm back home.

Look forward to hearing some of your thoughts...

That's what I thought also, but some of the performances are very clear such as the U2.com from Mexico and the Broadcast from Brasil..and noticed a big difference..I think it was indeed added in the post production of the song for this particular release..Which for some reason I dislike, they should just leave it alone.. Look forward to hearing some of your thoughts...

I had a listen to the Zooropa clip from St Louis on U2.com, it has the effect on his voice in that clip.

Where was Zooropa performed that was included on u22?

I also had a listen to Zooropa from Mexico City it doesn't seem to have the effect or maybe it is there but very low in the mix, they could also have added the effect in later performances to make Bono's voice mix in with the cyberpunk feel of the song.

I had a listen to the Zooropa clip from St Louis on U2.com, it has the effect on his voice in that clip.

Where was Zooropa performed that was included on u22?

I also had a listen to Zooropa from Mexico City it doesn't seem to have the effect or maybe it is there but very low in the mix, they could also have added the effect in later performances to make Bono's voice mix in with the cyberpunk feel of the song.

Very possible they could have added in his later performances..But now I'm even more confused..I think (hopefully someone can confirm this) they edited a mistake on the lyrics..?

It my understanding the Zooropa from the U22 is from the 6.22.11 Baltimore show, and after listening to other recordings on youtube from this same show, the lyrics are different..Pay attention to the following set of lyrics..

U22:

Zooropa...vorsprung durch technik
Zooropa...be all that you can be
Meet our winner
Eat to get slimmer

Zooropa...a bluer kind of white
Zooropa...it could be yours tonight

Other recordings from same show:

Zooropa...vorsprung durch technik
Zooropa...be all that you can be
Meet our winner
Eat to get slimmer

Zooropa...it could be yours tonight
Zooropa...??????????

:confused::confused::hmm::hmm:

I just listened to the version of Zooropa I have from the Baltimore show (not U22). I was there myself.

There is no noticeable filter on his voice.

Also worth noting, the Your Blue Room has added vocals to it from the Edge's Picks CD. In the middle part, when Bono is singing gibberish and he goes, "you don't belong, you don't belong, you really want a sadder song" -- the ensuing line differs between what was actually sung 9/23 and what is on Edge's picks.

On my 9/23 that I have (was there), Bono goes "so you [something] song, believe if you can, I want it [??], America"

On Edge's picks, Bono goes "soldier boy, won't you fall in love (?), [incomprehensible], America"

Oh, interesting. I totally love the soldier boy line. What an amazing delivery! Do you think it was likely re recorded in studio or taken from another show?

I just listened to the version of Zooropa I have from the Baltimore show (not U22). I was there myself.

There is no noticeable filter on his voice.

Also worth noting, the Your Blue Room has added vocals to it from the Edge's Picks CD. In the middle part, when Bono is singing gibberish and he goes, "you don't belong, you don't belong, you really want a sadder song" -- the ensuing line differs between what was actually sung 9/23 and what is on Edge's picks.

On my 9/23 that I have (was there), Bono goes "so you [something] song, believe if you can, I want it [??], America"

On Edge's picks, Bono goes "soldier boy, won't you fall in love (?), [incomprehensible], America"

I noticed that too. I was at the East Rutherford show and was scratching my head when I heard the U22 version.

I really like the U22 version of YBR. Powerful, even if it's touched up.

Oh, interesting. I totally love the soldier boy line. What an amazing delivery! Do you think it was likely re recorded in studio or taken from another show?

Good question, I really don't know. given how seamless it seems over the rest, I'd guess re-recorded, though maybe they took it from a soundcheck? it would just be kind of weird to take that one line from another show and not use the whole performance from that show. I've only heard 3 of the 7 versions they played (foxboro and DC being the other two), and the soldier boy line did not come from either.

YBR is on Edge's Picks. It's soooo good. I don't love the song in general but that version is just great.

So good that my anti-nonprofit and anti-Ngo philosophy evolved into a disregard for what ever the hell your doing with whatever the hell I gave you
hopefully it helps money is nice but so is so many other things in this capitalistic greedy self promoting degenerating world I will say Im in good company we're in the same column

You're like some crazy gibberish Bono bot, but your developer needs to work on their grammar a little bit.

So good that my anti-nonprofit and anti-Ngo philosophy evolved into a disregard for what ever the hell your doing with whatever the hell I gave you
hopefully it helps money is nice but so is so many other things in this capitalistic greedy self promoting degenerating world I will say Im in good company we're in the same column

You sharing? I'll take a hit..

Regarding Zooropa from Baltimore. They definately mixed it for the release. The original live recording did not have any effect on Bono's vocal.

Regarding Zooropa from Baltimore. They definately mixed it for the release. The original live recording did not have any effect on Bono's vocal.

Thanks, I figured it was mixed after for the release as it just sounded strange..Too bad, I love this release but with this added vocal mix and editing/dubbing of lyrics, it just sort of feels like a fabricated live performance..? A live performance suppose to be just that, a live performance and to me this isn't because of the reasons above..

It just turns me off, does anybody else feel this way..?

Where is YBR on U22?

I have the main U22 CD's + the downloads named EdgesPicksFiveBonusTracks, EdgesPicksFTGU and U22-DownloadTwelve and I can't see any YBR.

Did I miss a download?

I'm with you, I tried downloading it from anywhere I could find for days as I love YBR, but I only got the 12 songs and not it.

Any help from folks on finding it is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm with you, I tried downloading it from anywhere I could find for days as I love YBR, but I only got the 12 songs and not it.

Any help from folks on finding it is appreciated. Thanks.

U2 > Signup > Welcome
When you get the U2.com membership you also get the book From The Ground Up of the 360 Tour. Plus Edge's Picks CD has another 14 songs from the tour, next to YBR. Recommended!

U2 > Signup > Welcome
When you get the U2.com membership you also get the book From The Ground Up of the 360 Tour. Plus Edge's Picks CD has another 14 songs from the tour, next to YBR. Recommended!

Ah, thanks. I let my membership lapse right before that came out and wondered why the downloads didn't feature YBR. Crappy as it's likely too late now.

Nah I don't think it's too late. This year won't feature a subscriber's gift as it will be tour presale codes. :) So you might still get this gift if you sign up before that's officially announced.

Nah I don't think it's too late. This year won't feature a subscriber's gift as it will be tour presale codes. :) So you might still get this gift if you sign up before that's officially announced.

Good to know, thanks. And I like your thinking about the tour presale codes. Surely that's why we've heard nothing from the site yet.

Back
Top Bottom