U2 - Yahweh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh82

The Fly
Am I the only one who thinks this song is one of the best U2 ever wrote? I mean the Album version. Apart from few cheesy verses this song is incredible. I loved it on the HTDAAB and I loved it acoustic. Great song.

I like the song, one of the better on Bomb...but i think its a classic example of what folks around here call "over-produced".

its a classic example of what folks around here call "over-produced"

Yeah, I don't get it why it is 'over-produced' - it's U2 at its finest, maybe it's also some kind of new direction, because we've already heard about religious themes regarding the new album.

Yeah, I don't get it why it is 'over-produced' - it's U2 at its finest, maybe it's also some kind of new direction, because we've already heard about religious themes regarding the new album.

New direction ? wasnt ' all that you... ' scattered with a similair theme ?

ATYCLB was about mortality. New album's gonna to be about religION - in a broader sense of the word - not religIOUS

I actually really dislike it, and I actually quite like HTDAAB. I remember thinking when first listening to it when those icy notes chimed in on the intro 'oh for fucks sake, another song as identical as before'. And then being pleased that the UK version included 'Fast Cars' to save the album from a crap ending!

I really like Yahweh... including the 'over-produced' album version, which is my favorite!

I have liked this song a lot since day one. I even like the alternate version from the iTunes package. It is also a fantastic example of a song really taking shape when played live acoustically. U2 succeed in my mind because their live versions of songs tend to outshine their studio takes. Not that the studio takes are poor to begin with. :up:

I like this song. Has anyone ever heard the Sydney live version of this song? It's fucking awesome, I love it...

The alternate-iTunes-whatever version is top notch. Also, if there is a video of the Sydney version on youtube, it would be wonderful if somebody could direct me towards it, my interest is piqued.

I think the live acoustic version is really, really nice.

I think the album version is one of the (if not the) single worst things they’ve ever put on record. Embarrassing.

I never really paid this song much attention until I saw U2:3D...for some reason it just clicked with me there, and since then I've loved it. Album version is okay, but it was meant for live acoustic, IMHO. Larry on keys is kinda cool, too.

I never really paid this song much attention until I saw U2:3D...for some reason it just clicked with me there, and since then I've loved it. Album version is okay, but it was meant for live acoustic, IMHO. Larry on keys is kinda cool, too.

I thought it was the perfect finale for the movie. :heart:

"Yahweh" is fantastic, especially the official album track. It affects me emotionally and spiritually, and has one of Bono's best 'simple' lyrics. This is rather more than one could say for the Rolling Stones at U2's current age...

Great song, underrated, it should have ended the album, Fast Cars is so out of place (though I love the song, just not at that position). I like the accousitc live version, especially U2:3D with the nice animations. I must also say I wish they'd released the alternative version, because I like that one even more ("Take these blue eyes and make them see" is one of the most beautiful lines in the song, shame they cut that out for the album version).

If I never hear the word "over produced" on this forum again, it'll make me very happy.

Love the album version. Don't understand the hate for it. Overblown? That's what makes it powerful. The Complete U2 Alternate Version doesn't have enough liftoff.

Though the live, acoustic version is quite beautiful as well, especially with Larry on the synth.

I like all versions of the song- as somone said a great simple lyric - "take this soul stranded in some skin and bones-" is one of bono's best lines - I also like in the alternate version how in the last chorus bono sings - Your waiting for meeeee - and rimes it with the Yahweh's in the previous choruses - should have kept that for the studio verson - its powerful and rimes

Yahweh means "I am"

In this song, could the The Edge be telling us that he is!

Yes, The Edge is the bar to which all U2 guitarists will ever be measured.

The live acoustic version of Yahweh was incredible, especially during the first leg when Edge's chord strumming was balanced, and the transitions (such as from C to G) were seamless.

For some reason, he got a little sloppier of the stadium shows in the second leg, but it was still much better than most guitarists.

Larry did a decent job on the keyboards, but it was surprising that a drummer of his caliber was not able to keep time with the keyboards as accurately. To tell you the truth, Adam was more "in time" with his short piano bit during the intro of City Of Blinding Lights for most of the tour.

But the song is indeed a jewel in the rough, and one of U2's most beautiful.

It is also a tribute to Bono's lyrical flexibility to be able to use "Yahweh" and "polyester" in the same song, while still remaining within context and not as if it was "forced."

Such a beautiful song.

...qg

I think this song may be the worst U2 has ever written. Without getting totally into it, I'll just state that Bono's "Yah-WAYYYYY" delivery is shameful and embarrassing. The fact that this song made it to the final cut and not Fast Cars is indicative of just how lost U2 were at that time.

I think Red Light is Stairway To Heaven compared to this song.

I NEVER skipped the song, I just don't like the album version with Fast Cars as closer. Yahweh is the perfect closer, I love it.

Back
Top Bottom