U2 vs "reunion" Guns n Roses - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-23-2018, 03:04 AM   #1
War Child
 
Martinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 511
Local Time: 12:51 PM
U2 vs "reunion" Guns n Roses

I watched the GnR Not in this lifetime show here in Gothenburg and it made me think. How come they can do a 3 ½ hour show with all that previous turmoil in that band? Axl also runs around on stage with high energy most of the show as well, sure he goes behind the stage now and then totake a breather while Slash do a long guitar solo, but still. Sure his voice doesnt sound as good as in the 90's but he is like 55...

So they are about the same age as U2 but they actually do a WORLD tour with this tour, as they also go to places like India, Thailand, Japan, Australia and so on. Not just Europe and US + Canada. While doing a show that is Springsteen show in length. So how come a band like fucking Guns n Roses who people thought were completely dead a few years ago can do all this?

I was acutally impressed when seeing GnR this saturday doing what they do on stage after all turmoil, the split up and fighting between Slash and Axl Rose. Sure the show is a bit too long at 3 ½ hours with many covers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_in...fetime..._Tour
__________________

Martinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:15 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,609
Local Time: 12:51 PM
And your point is? I mean, you've named this thread 'U2 vs "reunion" Guns n Roses', so where does the 'U2 vs' part come in?
__________________

Popmartijn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #3
War Child
 
Martinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 511
Local Time: 12:51 PM
I guess i wondered if this version of GnR can tour this show why can't U2 do something similar when it comes to show length and tour more locations. U2 being old isnt really an explenation when they are about the same age, just a few years younger.

There is obviously demand seeing how fast the tickets for Leg 2 of this tour sold out and how they havent had one in Australia since 360 tour. And a longer setlist could fit in more songs people want to hear such as Red Flag Day.
Martinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
Refugee
 
hasin73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangladesh.
Posts: 1,451
Local Time: 04:51 PM
Red Flag Day is already played several times.
hasin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
Acrobat
 
Mac_Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 458
Local Time: 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinski View Post
I guess i wondered if this version of GnR can tour this show why can't U2 do something similar. . . . .
Just because they are the "same age" as GnR hardly means they are in the same shape. Especially Bono. I'm not saying they aren't, just saying that their age in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean they are capable of the same physical activity.

They could still be touring the JT30 show now if they wanted after all.

These guys have lives, as well as a career, so hard to guess the end game here. We have to take their tours at face value and just assume that's all they want to do. Nothing wrong with that (unless you live in Australia).

As for the Asian market, I'm guessing there isn't a demand. And GnR getting back together and doing a tour isn't the same as U2 let's face it. U2 has been steadily plugging along for a long time now. Aerosmith, Eagles, GnR . . .they break up, take a long hiatus, whatever . . . and then it's a big -once-in-a-lifetime event to see them when they decide to go for that cash grab. Much much different for U2.
Mac_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
trevgreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,588
Local Time: 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Fly View Post
Just because they are the "same age" as GnR hardly means they are in the same shape. Especially Bono. I'm not saying they aren't, just saying that their age in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean they are capable of the same physical activity.

They could still be touring the JT30 show now if they wanted after all.

These guys have lives, as well as a career, so hard to guess the end game here. We have to take their tours at face value and just assume that's all they want to do. Nothing wrong with that (unless you live in Australia).

As for the Asian market, I'm guessing there isn't a demand. And GnR getting back together and doing a tour isn't the same as U2 let's face it. U2 has been steadily plugging along for a long time now. Aerosmith, Eagles, GnR . . .they break up, take a long hiatus, whatever . . . and then it's a big -once-in-a-lifetime event to see them when they decide to go for that cash grab. Much much different for U2.
Right on. I’ve seen this comparison discussed elsewhere too. And it mostly seems like they’re two different beasts.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,014
Local Time: 08:51 PM
U2 sadly has never done long shows. For not the first time, you get the impression from recent shows (JT 30, E&I) that they are making a conscious decision to play for the shortest time possible.
AndrewCowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
War Child
 
Martinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 511
Local Time: 12:51 PM
I guess i also made the comparisons since the Not in this lifetime tour is about as big as the JT30 tour when it comes to box office numbers and relies also heavily on nostalgia...

A better comparison would probably be Not in this lifetime tour vs JT30 tour. Instead of comparing it to E+I or I+E tours / legs.
Martinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #9
War Child
 
Partyslammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 634
Local Time: 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Fly View Post
Just because they are the "same age" as GnR hardly means they are in the same shape. Especially Bono. I'm not saying they aren't, just saying that their age in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean they are capable of the same physical activity.

(snip)
The key thing with most rock bands and the length of their shows is the physical condition (and issues) of the band, especially the drummer who has the most demanding role. It's widely known Larry's had serious back issues in the past and I think overall, these guys just don't and maybe never had the kind of physical stamina to pull off Springsteenesque epic-ally long shows. I remember the Unforgettable Fire tour and even many of the Lovetown shows being only about 16-19 songs long.

Also, it's important to note that Guns n' Roses isn't playing with their original drummer (who's a bit of a wreck) and has plenty of onstage "help" with a second guitarist, keyboards etc all of whom are younger players than the original band members. I will say Axl has proven to be a real surprise being able to pull off not just the long GnR shows but fronting AC/DC a couple years ago as well, both gigs which are very demanding for the kind of "skinned cat" singing required, lol.

It's also worth noting the GnR pads out their set with a *lot* of breaks especially for Axl, which include instrumentals, covers and solo spots. I do think the last few tours, U2 has leaned harder and harder in putting in the same kind of breaks or intermissions and the kind of music they've been playing (except the JT30 tour) is more and more reliant on offstage "help" and the visuals.

Getting into your late 50's and beyond is a bitch unless you're a freak of rock n' roll nature like Springsteen or Jagger.
Partyslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
zoopop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,415
Local Time: 05:51 AM
I saw GNR in 2016 and 2017. While both shows were great, 1 was enough. GNR was filling a void for fans that haven't seen them live for nearly 24 years. And even then their career was only 5 years. They had big hits/albums that didn't reach most of their audience.

U2...well they've been touring heavily as band ( and still making new music) since GNR called it quits. I would rather take that than 3 hr shows based on all nostalgia.

While the show was great I was burnt out the time I saw them in 2017. The show revolves around Slash able to play long extended solos. It was the Slash show and while it was great to see, don't think it was a non stop rock show. And there were quite a few points in the show where it dragged on a bit. I left the 2017 early to beat the traffic.

U2 doing 3 different tours in 4 years is pretty epic in itself. I'm not sure GNR could get away with that this late in their career.

Also....Bono sounds lot better than Axl these days
zoopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:46 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 27,638
Local Time: 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopop View Post


Also....Bono sounds lot better than Axl these days
Axl sounded great the night I saw them.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #12
War Child
 
Martinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 511
Local Time: 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopop View Post
I saw GNR in 2016 and 2017. While both shows were great, 1 was enough. GNR was filling a void for fans that haven't seen them live for nearly 24 years. And even then their career was only 5 years. They had big hits/albums that didn't reach most of their audience.

U2...well they've been touring heavily as band ( and still making new music) since GNR called it quits. I would rather take that than 3 hr shows based on all nostalgia.

While the show was great I was burnt out the time I saw them in 2017. The show revolves around Slash able to play long extended solos. It was the Slash show and while it was great to see, don't think it was a non stop rock show. And there were quite a few points in the show where it dragged on a bit. I left the 2017 early to beat the traffic.

U2 doing 3 different tours in 4 years is pretty epic in itself. I'm not sure GNR could get away with that this late in their career.

Also....Bono sounds lot better than Axl these days
Yeah i agree seeing them one time is probably enough. They have just added like 2 or maybe 3 songs since last year. Shadow of your Love being a new one for example. And i also agree that the show kinda dragged some in some of the solos and covers. But hearing You Could be Mine, Sweet Child o Mine, November Rain... was great.

I dont know how fair the comparison or the VS i made is but it just made me think while i was watching GnR that these are similarly aged guys putting on basically a nostalgia tour for pretty much the same age group of fans while playing the same size venues. The main difference that the NITL tour reaches places like Iceland, South Africa, Abu Dhabi, Philippnes, Indonesia and so on as well.

While they did i thought what if "our boys" could put a similar length show. No one can say that Axl Rose has really been in better shape physically or mentally than Bono has through the years, Main reason might be the drummer?
Martinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 59,316
Local Time: 06:51 AM
Because U2 are fat, rich and lazy
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #14
War Child
 
Partyslammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 634
Local Time: 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopop View Post
I saw GNR in 2016 and 2017. While both shows were great, 1 was enough. GNR was filling a void for fans that haven't seen them live for nearly 24 years. And even then their career was only 5 years. They had big hits/albums that didn't reach most of their audience.

U2...well they've been touring heavily as band ( and still making new music) since GNR called it quits. I would rather take that than 3 hr shows based on all nostalgia.

(Snip)

U2 doing 3 different tours in 4 years is pretty epic in itself. I'm not sure GNR could get away with that this late in their career.
:
Guns n' Roses current tour is going well into next year which will likely make the 3 year mark if it continues past Spring 2019.

I'll add that while many people have ignored what's been going on with Guns n' Rose the past couple decades, the fact is, Axl and his band (of scrubs) have been touring pretty regularly since 2000 especially around the release of the Chinese Democracy album playing arenas and festivals. The set they have been playing the last 15 years is close to what they are playing on this "reunion." I personally find it remarkable that the simple replacement/addition of Slash and Duff has carried this reunion as far as it's gone-they've made over half a billion dollars on this tour.

I've seen GnR 7 times between 1986 when they played a Long Beach club opening for the great punk/goth band Lords Of The New Church to opening slots for The Cult and Aerosmith to their own headlining shows at Perkins Palace to one of the near disasterous opening shows for The Rolling Stones to two Illusion tour shows, one with Izzy still in the band and one co-headlining with Metallics where the bloat was in full evidence.

The 8th time I saw them was on a whim during a 4 show stand at the Universal Amphitheater over the 2006 Christmas holidays and surprisingly, that was one of the best shows I ever saw the band pull off, certainly one of the longest. Plus Izzy guested on about 8 songs.
Partyslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
zoopop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,415
Local Time: 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post
Guns n' Roses current tour is going well into next year which will likely make the 3 year mark if it continues past Spring 2019.

I'll add that while many people have ignored what's been going on with Guns n' Rose the past couple decades, the fact is, Axl and his band (of scrubs) have been touring pretty regularly since 2000 especially around the release of the Chinese Democracy album playing arenas and festivals. The set they have been playing the last 15 years is close to what they are playing on this "reunion." I personally find it remarkable that the simple replacement/addition of Slash and Duff has carried this reunion as far as it's gone-they've made over half a billion dollars on this tour.

I've seen GnR 7 times between 1986 when they played a Long Beach club opening for the great punk/goth band Lords Of The New Church to opening slots for The Cult and Aerosmith to their own headlining shows at Perkins Palace to one of the near disasterous opening shows for The Rolling Stones to two Illusion tour shows, one with Izzy still in the band and one co-headlining with Metallics where the bloat was in full evidence.

The 8th time I saw them was on a whim during a 4 show stand at the Universal Amphitheater over the 2006 Christmas holidays and surprisingly, that was one of the best shows I ever saw the band pull off, certainly one of the longest. Plus Izzy guested on about 8 songs.
That’s awesome you’ve seen all those shows.

What happened to them opening for the Stones?
__________________

zoopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com