U2 using samples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Von Schloopen

Refugee
This is insanely interesting.

U2's The Playboy Mansion sample of The Turtles's You Showed Me | WhoSampled

They sample a bit that plays once for the entire Turtles tune, and use it over and over.

This one as well. It winds up being the the whole intro/verse guitar riff of "Do You Feel Loved."

U2's Do You Feel Loved sample of Naked Funk's Alien Groove Sensation | WhoSampled

"Daddy's Gonna Pay For You Crashed Car" has some really obvious ones. Once they're pointed out.

U2's Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car sample of A Tribe Called Quest's Skypager | WhoSampled

U2's Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car sample of MC 900 Ft. Jesus's The City Sleeps | WhoSampled

U2's Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car sample of Alexandrov Ensemble's Le Rocher Sur La Volga | WhoSampled

Great thread, Schloop. I'm fascinated by the art of sampling and, based on these, I think they're implemented extremely well in U2 music for the most part.

That Tribe beat :drool:

Pop :drool:

I learned about the Turtles sample just a year or so ago and am still boggled that I didn't recognize it for so many years.

It's all so precise. I'd like to think it's all Howie B being Howie B, but he had nothing to do with "Daddy's Gonna Pay For You Crashed Car."

They pick really good sounds. That snare hit from MC 900 Ft. Jesus is one of my favorite parts of that tune.

And I always thought that "Turtles" sample was slide guitar.

Well this sent me down the WhoSampled rabbit hole for hours. Now my night is gone and I didn't do any homework :(.

Thanks, Schloop.

Well this sent me down the WhoSampled rabbit hole for hours. Now my night is gone and I didn't do any homework :(.

Thanks, Schloop.

Yep. Friend sent it to me at work. Did the same thing to my 4 o'clock hour on Friday.

Need to listen to these with good headphones later. Seems this app works off the submissions of peeps with good ears, as opposed to official acknowledgement by the band. That's not to say that I don't agree they have used samples, I definitely think they did in the 90s for sure. Maybe there's more we can find? I realize its not a sample but I've always felt that UTEOTW is pretty much a beat for beat nod (except the roll/fill) to one of my favorite hip hop songs of all time. Which of course is itself a sample..

I realize its not a sample but I've always felt that UTEOTW is pretty much a beat for beat nod (except the roll/fill) to one of my favorite hip hop songs of all time. Which of course is itself a sample..

And the song is...?

Need to listen to these with good headphones later. Seems this app works off the submissions of peeps with good ears, as opposed to official acknowledgement by the band. That's not to say that I don't agree they have used samples, I definitely think they did in the 90s for sure. Maybe there's more we can find? I realize its not a sample but I've always felt that UTEOTW is pretty much a beat for beat nod (except the roll/fill) to one of my favorite hip hop songs of all time. Which of course is itself a sample..

Maybe the mobile version is different, but the website will differentiate between Direct Samples (those that are credited) and Interpolations (samples that are re-purposed/influences)

And the song is...?

Paid in Full. It, and it's subsequent remix by Coldcut, were huge in the clubs leading up to the recording of Achtung Baby. I'm not saying they directly copied it but it was such a huge beat in that time that I can't imagine it not being in the back of their/Larry's head. Even the high hat subtleties are almost identical.

Maybe the mobile version is different, but the website will differentiate between Direct Samples (those that are credited) and Interpolations (samples that are re-purposed/influences)

Interesting. I need to figure out how to run UTEOTW thru it. Couple of years ago I made a remix combining both that took almost no effort in terms of pitch shifting of the two tracks, and it's reallllly close. Knowing what the band has said about being in the clubs in the late 80s early 90s, I wouldn't be surprised..

I never thought of that before gvox but now you point it out, I really hear it. Very similar, though it sounds a little darker/murkier on UTEOTW.

that sample used on Do You Feel Loved just blew my mind...didn't realise the credit "Inspiration from Naked Funk" actually meant they just sampled a track :wink:

The funny thing about DYFL is when I first heard the album it stood out to me the most and still does, it's far away my favorite track. I knew the Naked Funk song, a buddy had the entire album and also the 12", but I never made the connection. U2 pretty much used the entire thing, right down to the bass line! Awesomesauce!

Paid in Full. It, and it's subsequent remix by Coldcut, were huge in the clubs leading up to the recording of Achtung Baby. I'm not saying they directly copied it but it was such a huge beat in that time that I can't imagine it not being in the back of their/Larry's head. Even the high hat subtleties are almost identical.

Wow, you're right! I've listened to this song many times and never realized it. It really comes out in the live from Sydney version.

Wow, you're right! I've listened to this song many times and never realized it. It really comes out in the live from Sydney version.

Yep. Some live versions really stand out. Sometimes I'm convinced I can hear some light bongo or tom happening all the way thru like on a track or something but then I start to wonder if that's just a carry over from listening to paid in full about a billion times lol! But hey, if anyone else heard that lemme know its subtle but..I think they're there at the start of the album version tho, right? (Haven't listened to the album one in years lol)

I realize its not a sample but I've always felt that UTEOTW is pretty much a beat for beat nod (except the roll/fill) to one of my favorite hip hop songs of all time. Which of course is itself a sample..

The well known Larry propensity for club and hip hop music back in the day...

Playboy Mansion is the only one that did sampling well.

The well known Larry propensity for club and hip hop music back in the day...

Don't tell some people that. They firmly believe Larry hates hip hop and club music.

Playboy Mansion is the only one that did sampling well.

It's good, but I'd say DYFL is as good or maybe better in that it makes use of the bassline also, which affects more of the song. However, Playboy Mansion gets a +1 for creativity, because they used that simple lick and turned it into far more. I guess they felt the sample for DYFL was just so aces that they had to use as much of the elements as possible. Both are great tracks imo.

I kinda think the "Do You Feel Loved?" sample puts the band in a very poor light.

They didn't just sample a drum tone, they co-opted a complete guitar riff, and called it a sample.

I kinda think the "Do You Feel Loved?" sample puts the band in a very poor light.

They didn't just sample a drum tone, they co-opted a complete guitar riff, and called it a sample.

Starting at 18 seconds into the Naked Funk song, it sounds like Larry kicking off Mofo in the early live versions- here, starting at 1:40
Mofo (live from Popmart Las Vegas) - YouTube

Pause at 1:57 for my avatar :)

Yep. Some live versions really stand out. Sometimes I'm convinced I can hear some light bongo or tom happening all the way thru like on a track or something but then I start to wonder if that's just a carry over from listening to paid in full about a billion times lol! But hey, if anyone else heard that lemme know its subtle but..I think they're there at the start of the album version tho, right? (Haven't listened to the album one in years lol)

I hear that too, but seems drowned out in much of the song. Interesting. UTEOTW is my favorite song. I don't think I heard the Paid in Full version until a few years ago, after seeing Snoop do his own version in the Old School movie.

Thinkin' of a master plan
cause ain't nothin but sweat inside my hand

Now, THAT would be the song to snippet :up:

Sounds like Naked Funk should've gotten at least a co-writing credit there, lol.

Back
Top Bottom