U2 Tribute Bands and thoughts about them.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What Headache said :up: :up:

Even the bands that don't have all the outfits mannerisms lighting video...some just do it for genuine love of the music, they are hardcore fans and it shines through in how they interpret the songs. If they can add those extra elements without making it a parody, even better, it ups the ante in the crowd a bit because people dig that kindof stuff in general.

Many tribute guys also write and perform their own stuff also.

And this deserves highlighting:

So true my friend, so true. Wouldn't change it even if I could :hi5: :beer:

:hi5:

In Italy we've got Achtung Babies! they're great (and they're funny guys, REAL fans who do that because of their love for U2) Please watch it cause they're absolutely amazing!

U2 - Zoo Station - Achtung Babies - YouTube

(I was there that night)

Thats pretty awesome. I've been to a few shows just to get a fix for loud live U2 music. I just see it as a good time. I pretty much just get drunk and sing. And the bands I saw were in the spirit of putting on a show for the fans. Not to make a $.

I saw one in Miami in 2010 at a pub. And that was my U2 show since U2 postponed the actual show till 2011.

It sure gets hot under those lights wearing a knit cap and pretending to be The Edge. Dido to the Bono guys wearing PVC via Zoo TV.

Question: do they still have the giant TV remote control?

Lots of derivative artists are genuinely talented. We call them fan artists and slag them until they get paid for it by the copyright owner, at which time we call them scriptwriters or whatever. They're officially extending the franchise, which is exactly the same thing they did before they got paid. Think of the guys who write the Star Trek franchise. You know they are Comic-Con going fanboys.

I think the real question going on here is whether transformative works are art or not. And are tribute bands transformative or purely imitative/derivative? I don't know if tribute artists think of themselves in the context of fan art or not but to me they seem pretty clearly related. They both come from the same place, wanting to extend the work beyond its original context.

I agree with a lot of this is general, but not really specifically when it comes to tribute bands.

For example, I definitely agree, and said as much, that some of the musicians in tribute bands are genuinely talented. In fact, in terms of sheer ability to play, I'm sure some of them are more talented than the guys they are imitating.

But I'm not sure that most pure "tribute" bands are transformative in terms of developing the music. Sure, a band who does primarily originals with the occasional cover thrown in can "transform" a song, that happens all the time, hell U2 does it. But playing a cover is much different than being a pure tribute band whose ultimate goal is essentially imitation.

Your points about fans writing their own scripts, etc. (fan fic I guess) is well taken, and for genuinely talented writers doing that can help hone their skills. But if it never leads to anything more, I really don't see the point. If you get really good at writing Harry Potter fan fic, to me that's more craft than art. And if you're in a U2 tribute band to pay the bills, and have some genuine talent, and are using that to further your own creative ambitions, I guess I don't have much problem with that. But if you're dressing up like the band and basically just imitating them...sure, it's fun, you'll make great friends, maybe get laid and perhaps even meet the band...and have a blast while doing it. Who can argue with that? And I don't have any problem with that either, I'm not saying tribute bands should vanish. Who cares, right? It's just for fun. Just don't tell me it's art. And I'm sorry, yeah, I do think these guys getting up there dressing and acting like the band look a bit silly. I guess I'd equate that more with someone dressing up as Klingon at a Trek convention (and I say this as a pretty big Trek fan). Cool looking and fun? Absolutely. But he didn't create the idea of Klingons, or design the costume, or the language.

But as I said, sure, I'll go to bar if some of those guys are playing and get a kick out of it, fair enough. It's pretty much just harmless fun. Just like dressing up like a Klingon. :)

I haven't settled with myself if tribute performances are transformative or not, or what they are. It's not a familiar world to me at all, so I just don't know.

I suppose that a tribute band might say that their work in that band hones their skills for their original work just like a fic writer or graphic artist might. And if they only ever play the tribute work then I bet they aren't calling it art, and they certainly aren't claiming to have invented the Fly suit. Those who are, like Pavel, are clearly in the wrong.

Bonus: here's a fun little link with some great example of Harry Potter fan art. And, um, spoiler alert. 28 Things That Happened After The Harry Potter Books Ended

Some seem to miss the point that many tribute musicians don't even remotely see themselves as creating pure art or reinventing U2s art, even. They are merely paying tribute to their favorite band. And inherent in that italicized phrase is a high level of respect and admiration of the original artist, to where the aspiration is to pay such tribute as well as they are able.

In other words, to me there is a philosophical difference between trying to "play pretend U2" or "be U2", and "paying tribute to"...if this is making any sense at all. It's a discussion I've had with U2 tribute guys frequently, and the sincere ones understand.

As for costuming, some guys go out and try and get the exact clothes made that the band wears. Indeed there is a market for "the exact look" (typically, corporate, higher end events) and as such guys are just trying to pay their way: as any musician on this board will attest, professional/tour grade gear is not cheap at all. It's a really really expensive hobby to bankroll all on ones own.

Other guys just try and recreate the vibe ie that looks sortof like something Adam would wear, and so forth. It's like Bono's monologues and speeches: does one copy them word for word, night in night out? That to me is kindof skating on parody. The tributes I've enjoyed the most werent a word for word copy bit instead more of a "what might this bar show be like if U2 were here tonite". You see it in some of the videos they use too..ie, maybe not a direct copy, but in a similar spirit. Setlists, also...ie doing setlists and segues that maybe U2 never did, but feel very U2ish in the ride they take the audience on.

And I think that type of tribute paid to the music of U2, while not in any way original art per se, can be very creative, heartfelt, even moving..and most audiences really feel that come across.

Seems appropriate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQug39IvzSs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If anyone gets a chance to check out this documentary, do. It gives great insight into the who and the why behind getting in a silly old U2 tribute band.

Yeah, see that guy dressed up as Bono waving around (actually, wearing) the Irish flag pretty much sums up why I think the whole thing is kind of silly. I mean, what does the Irish flag and Sunday Bloody Sunday mean to him? In a weird kind of way playing that song with that flag is kind of insulting. How can any band play that song, and jump around like they're rock stars and pump their fists in the air just seems a little thick to me. In fact, I cringed when I saw it. What's next, a video of Mandella? Maybe pictures of dead old age pensioners killed during the Troubles projected into the background? This video actually reinforced the image I have of these bands rather than dispel it.

For crying out loud, if you're going to do this, at least stay away from those kind of songs.

Again, it's all just harmless fun, so whatever. But to me at least these guys in costumes playing songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday, and their "fans" singing along is just a step into surreal absurdity I can't respect.

At least the musicians in the band didn't seem to be playing dress up (too much).

Yeah, see that guy dressed up as Bono waving around (actually, wearing) the Irish flag pretty much sums up why I think the whole thing is kind of silly. I mean, what does the Irish flag and Sunday Bloody Sunday mean to him? In a weird kind of way playing that song with that flag is kind of insulting. How can any band play that song, and jump around like they're rock stars and pump their fists in the air just seems a little thick to me. In fact, I cringed when I saw it. What's next, a video of Mandella? Maybe pictures of dead old age pensioners killed during the Troubles projected into the background? This video actually reinforced the image I have of these bands rather than dispel it.

For crying out loud, if you're going to do this, at least stay away from those kind of songs.

Again, it's all just harmless fun, so whatever. But to me at least these guys in costumes playing songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday, and their "fans" singing along is just a step into surreal absurdity I can't respect.

At least the musicians in the band didn't seem to be playing dress up (too much).

To each his own... but I could not disagree more.

I saw a Pink Floyd tribute band. They were great.

I don't see why this much thought has to go into it.

i'm with nick66 on this one

cannot get my head around it!

i did see one once though - i'd missed a proper U2 gig (might have even been that same night, or at least within a few days), and it so happened that a tribute band was playing at the bar my sister-in-law worked at, so she dragged me with her to work that night, i drunk loads of wine and had a really good laugh :D

each to their own though i guess!

i have no problem with bands who do covers especially when they take a song and make it their own, but the whole tribute band thing, where they try and reproduce the whole thing, the characters, mannerisms, etc. well it just makes me a little squeamish...

I saw UABRS a year or so ago. Tiny dive bar with about 12 people in it. Cheesy as hell, but a good time. I sang Bad nose to nose with "Bono." Yea, some of these guys might get a little too wrapped up in their character, but it's all for entertainment. They've found a way to make money doing what they love. I've also enjoyed Legends in Concert a couple of times- same idea. I don't see the harm.

I think if you like them or are part of them, enjoy it. It is not hurting anyone so go for it and have fun. If you do not care for it, just do not go. I have never been so I guess I cannot really comment from a completely fair place. I do know that it does not look like my cup of tea and I do not have a desire to go to see one.

Given the choice though, I think I would rather hear a band playing U2's songs live and not act it out like them. I could enjoy another band playing U2, play some of their songs live that U2 does not like Red Hill Mining Town for example. I would enjoy hearing a well rehearsed live interpretation of that song vs the haphazard soundcheck only version U2 has attempted. I think it is the acting just like them that bothers me for some reason. The "weird" vibe I was talking about previously. :shrug:

I think if you like them or are part of them, enjoy it. It is not hurting anyone so go for it and have fun. If you do not care for it, just do not go. I have never been so I guess I cannot really comment from a completely fair place. I do know that it does not look like my cup of tea and I do not have a desire to go to see one.

Given the choice though, I think I would rather hear a band playing U2's songs live and not act it out like them. I could enjoy another band playing U2, play some of their songs live that U2 does not like Red Hill Mining Town for example. I would enjoy hearing a well rehearsed live interpretation of that song vs the haphazard soundcheck only version U2 has attempted. I think it is the acting just like them that bothers me for some reason. The "weird" vibe I was talking about previously. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure I agree with all of this. If you love it, fair enough. It's just not my cup of tea. But yeah, it's harmless.

And I agree...there's obviously a difference between a cover band just banging out songs (that's how a lot of bands start), which I enjoy, and a tribute band playing dress up rock stars.

That's the ticket for cover bands. Play songs like "Red Hill Mining Town", "Two Hearts Beat As One" and "A Sort Of Homecoming" so that they can offer U2 fans a niche way of hearing classics the band never plays anymore.

Most of these cover groups like to pick an era and re-create it, which is fun but yeah wearing a Irish flag and getting into the political aspects of Bono is just lame.

Have any of these guys even been through a terrorist attack in Ireland, or traveled to Africa, met the Pope......I don't think so!

Yeah, I'm talking to you Pavel!

Yeah, Pavel's totally different, right? He's not a tribute artist or even a musician, is he? He's an impersonator and a dishonest one too-- actually signing autographs for people with the name Bono and letting people think he's the real thing. That's not even in the same ball park.

Gabe, are you no longer in a tribute band? I find your posts kinda odd, as if you're just speaking in speculation, when you were in one, weren't you?

I saw a Pink Floyd tribute band. They were great.

Didn't Gilmour or Rogers (I forget which) give Australian Pink Floyd their blessing as basically the real deal these days, or something?

Gabe, are you no longer in a tribute band? I find your posts kinda odd, as if you're just speaking in speculation, when you were in one, weren't you? Didn't Gilmour or Rogers (I forget which) give Australian Pink Floyd their blessing as basically the real deal these days, or something?

Gilmour invited the Australian pink Floyd show to an end of tour party and they played his 50th birthday bash. I've caught a few of their songs on TV and they're really good.

Billy Joel invited Big Shot to do his sound check at Madison Square Garden, and his former sax player is now in the band.

High ranking members in U2's staff, including Paul McGuinness himself, have seen Unforgettable Fire.

It seems like many bands themselves do not seem to be so upset about tribute bands as many in this thread are.

And what exactly is "political" about waiving an Irish flag at an Irish festival, which is where that video was taken from?

If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine.

But for a lot of fans it's simply another way of celebrating the music of their favorite band, and to form a community around the love of said band. Nobody thinks it's the real band. It's a way to enjoy the music, and do it in a setting with other likeminded people.

What exactly is wrong with that?

But for a lot of fans it's simply another way of celebrating the music of their favorite band, and to form a community around the love of said band. Nobody thinks it's the real band. It's a way to enjoy the music, and do it in a setting with other likeminded people.

:up:

Nothing. Tribute bands are a blast. Last year a buddy of mine had a block party with tribute bands. All at different bars, all staggered 1 hour sets.

The Ramones
The Faces
U2
The Cure
Nirvana

Incredible fun.

Billy Joel invited Big Shot to do his sound check at Madison Square Garden, and his former sax player is now in the band.

High ranking members in U2's staff, including Paul McGuinness himself, have seen Unforgettable Fire.

It seems like many bands themselves do not seem to be so upset about tribute bands as many in this thread are.

And what exactly is "political" about waiving an Irish flag at an Irish festival, which is where that video was taken from?

If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine.

Of course there's nothing wrong with any of it. Who said there was? And who's upset that tribute bands exist? Who said people thought tribute bands were "real" bands? And who used the word "political" that you put in quotes? Who are you quoting?

And what is the fact that McG and other "high ranking" members of U2's posse saw a tribute band supposed to tell us?

Odd that you're responding to post that no one seems to have made! The thread asked what people thought of tribute bands...were you expecting different responses?

No, they're not, and neither is at least Bono. :wink:

The nerve of Tony, waving an Irish flag. At an Irish fest, no less. What fucking nerve.

Try telling 10,000 people at a St Patrick's Day festival (or, for that matter, any room filled with people gathered for the express purpose of hearing U2 music lol) that you refuse to do Sunday Bloody Sunday on principle, or reject that fan's flag when they bring it to the stage.

Good luck with that :lol:

I can appreciate the fan community mentality that pops up with tribute bands. I enjoy hearing people play U2's music as authentically as they can. I have to admit though: I kind of cringe at the mimicry of Bono's antics. Bono gets away with it... cause he's Bono. :wink:

I know that the visual aspect and Bono's personality are a big part of U2's live act, so it makes sense for tribute bands to try and recreate that, but... I still find it kind of embarassingly cheesy to see random tribute band singer doing the Elevation one-boot-in-the-air thing, or the let-me-show-off-my-awesome-American-flag-jacket-liner thing. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom