U2 track naming... how do you do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelaj

Refugee
So I am pretty OCD about naming my files - obviously music is a part of this.

For years now I have labelled live music (both tags and filename) in the following format:

U2 - Bad [Live from Chicago, 21st September 2005)

For official live releases, I use the following:

U2 - Bad [Live, Rattle and Hum]

I have been using last.fm for over 3 years now and I noticed it is under-representing my listening because it records each track name separately.

I was considering using the following format

U2 - Bad [Live]

and sorting by album - obviously this makes sense. However, something keeps me from doing this (obviously, the workload :reject:) because I like seeing which version I am listening to at a glance.

Anyway, how do you label your music?

on ITunes, i sort my U2 albums by year. for example:

(2009) No Line On The Horizon

it helps me organize chronologically. for live shows, i do the same except without the ():

2005-9-21 Chicago

I label Live versions with the exact date and place when they're bootlegs or b-sides. For live officially released albums or rip from DVDs I just put "Live from..." and for the latter I use "Popmart DVD" (for example).

I keep the song titles exactly the same, for consistency, and then use the album name to denote the date and venue. I'm pretty OCD about this too. Then I can go through and make sure I have every title consistently punctuated and capitalized. For concerts, I would name an album (for instance) "Elevation Kansas City 11/28/01".

I keep the song titles exactly the same, for consistency, and then use the album name to denote the date and venue. I'm pretty OCD about this too. Then I can go through and make sure I have every title consistently punctuated and capitalized. For concerts, I would name an album (for instance) "Elevation Kansas City 11/28/01".

So do you indicate it is a live performance within the track name at all?

I like your system of album names, mine is similar:

Vertigo Tour - Manchester, 15 June 2005 :cute:

I don't care about the filenames but this is how I do ID3 tags:

Album track Red Hill Mining Town / U2 / The Joshua Tree
Remix Elevation [Influx Remix] / U2 / 7
DVD ripped to audio Elevation / U2 / Elevation Tour 2001: Live from Boston [DVD]
Bootleg City of Blinding Lights / U2 / 2005.11.26: Montreal, QC

The bootleg album names are formatted so that they sort in chronological order when you sort them alphabetically. The tour name is in the ID3 comments section instead of in the Album tag because it's pretty obvious which tour each is from.

Track names are all gramatically correct and consistant over multiple bootlegs and albums and compilations. I also use Allmusic.com for my track information so I use their capitalisaiton rules and formatting style (Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2 instead of Another Brick In The Wall Part II, etc).

So do you indicate it is a live performance within the track name at all?

I like your system of album names, mine is similar:

Vertigo Tour - Manchester, 15 June 2005 :cute:

No, I keep the song titles exactly the same whether it's live or an album track. The only playlist I would have a concert track would be a playlist of the entire concert anyway (and the playlists are named same as the album in that instance), so denoting "live" would be redundant. Same with putting the word "Tour" in there anywhere (sorry!)

Basically the U2 playlists I have are: one huge one with all their albums, then b-sides/remixes/etc., and then separate playlists for each concert I have (and one for the R&H DVD). Oh, and one of my favorite 40 U2 songs, which was suggested on this forum.

I have no method of organization that I stick with for more than two weeks... as a result, my collection is a mess. But it works for me! But, in general, my boots are labeled as something like "ZooTV Dublin" or "Joshua Tree Tempe" or "Vertigo Saitama 1/2/3", with tracks just being the names of the tracks.

I somehow doubt any females will be contributing to this topic.... toys for boys!

if it's on a live album I don't put "(Live)" after every title if it's quite obviously on Under A Blood Red Sky, never got why some CDs had that when you got the track names. If it's a standalone recording I've got from somewhere that I have no date, location etc. for I just put (for example) "With Or Without You (Live)"...i can get pretty fussy about naming tracks. Hate that I've still got some on my iPod under album titles "Love Tears Us Apart" and all kinds of bollocks.

I don't care about the filenames but this is how I do ID3 tags:

Album track Red Hill Mining Town / U2 / The Joshua Tree
Remix Elevation [Influx Remix] / U2 / 7
DVD ripped to audio Elevation / U2 / Elevation Tour 2001: Live from Boston [DVD]
Bootleg City of Blinding Lights / U2 / 2005.11.26: Montreal, QC

The bootleg album names are formatted so that they sort in chronological order when you sort them alphabetically. The tour name is in the ID3 comments section instead of in the Album tag because it's pretty obvious which tour each is from.

Track names are all gramatically correct and consistant over multiple bootlegs and albums and compilations. I also use Allmusic.com for my track information so I use their capitalisaiton rules and formatting style (Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2 instead of Another Brick In The Wall Part II, etc).

:love:

How about different versions of songs...

For example the U218 edit of Streets, or the "new mix" of Gone ?

What about featured artists?

E.g. U2 starring Johnny Cash - The Wanderer

You guys are making my world fall apart around me (in a good way).

How about different versions of songs...

For example the U218 edit of Streets, or the "new mix" of Gone ?

What about featured artists?

E.g. U2 starring Johnny Cash - The Wanderer

You guys are making my world fall apart around me (in a good way).

Well, anything that denotes a remix or different version gets []s in the song title instead of parantheses, because there are song titles with parantheses in them.

So for example:

Gone [New Mix]
Where the Streets Have No Name [Single Version]

As far as featured artists, if it's an album track like The Wanderer, then there's no mention of the guest artist. If it's a whacky, one-off single like 'LMC vs. U2' or 'U2 and Green Day' then that artist name is used.

Well, anything that denotes a remix or different version gets []s in the song title instead of parantheses, because there are song titles with parantheses in them.

So for example:

Gone [New Mix]
Where the Streets Have No Name [Single Version]

As far as featured artists, if it's an album track like The Wanderer, then there's no mention of the guest artist. If it's a whacky, one-off single like 'LMC vs. U2' or 'U2 and Green Day' then that artist name is used.

What the hell is that LMC vs. U2 thing, anyway?

What the hell is that LMC vs. U2 thing, anyway?

It was originally a club mash-up of Whitney Houston and U2 (I know this because it was extensively played in clubs before the "official version").

Then the official version ruined things.

But anyway yeah, it is a dance mashup.

Back
Top Bottom