U2 Tour Manager Dennis Sheehan reported dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is really sad news for Dennis Sheehan, his family and the entire U2 family. It seems like everything is just piling on these guys. It's a big loss for sure. What we'll see though is the band will become even stronger, they'll perform with even more passion and the tour has quickly become about honoring family and friends no doubt. Laurence, Dennis, BB King, all within a few weeks. Tough times for everyone involved and who knew these people.

Sad news...... He's done so much for 'our' band. Condoleances to relatives and friends of U2's greatest tourmanager.

Just had a quick thought as I just saw the Kite thread below this one... maybe they might play that song in his honour at the next gig. :hmm: U2.com does mention they will pay tribute.

That's really sad. :( It's extra hard to deal with death when it's totally unexpected. That's what happened to my grandpa last November. Everything was normal, he sat down in his chair, his heart stopped, and that was it. Cardiac arrest. I really feel for the band and the whole crew right now. It's so hard when you just saw someone and they were fine, and then suddenly they're gone. There's no time to prepare for it; the rug gets pulled out from under you and your life gets turned upside down. :(

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Just had a quick thought as I just saw the Kite thread below this one... maybe they might play that song in his honour at the next gig. :hmm: U2.com does mention they will pay tribute.

I'm not a huge fan of the album version, but the Sidney version included as a Window In The Skies B-Side is just almost perfect (*minus Cate Blanchett part). Very powerful.

RIP. I would've loved to have read his memoirs, he must've had a goldmine of tales from rock n roll's heady days.

Deepest condolences to the Sheehan & U2 families on the loss of Dennis. All of us as fans have directly benefitted from his contributions to the band and his work all of these years. It's strange to think how much we focus on the 4 guys on stage and yet they'd never put on the kind of performances & have the long lasting effects on us without guys like Dennis.

Very sad news about Dennis Sheehan.

The original story that said it was Paul McGuinness is just horrible reporting. Whoever gave the go ahead for that bullshit story needs to go flip burgers at McDonalds.

Very sad news about Dennis Sheehan.

The original story that said it was Paul McGuinness is just horrible reporting. Whoever gave the go ahead for that bullshit story needs to go flip burgers at McDonalds.

No need to insult the people flipping burgers at McDonald's. At least they do their job properly. Not like the clown who reported it as Paul McGuinnes. Whoever did that isn't fit to flip burgers at McDonald's

I'm not a huge fan of the album version, but the Sidney version included as a Window In The Skies B-Side is just almost perfect (*minus Cate Blanchett part). Very powerful.

That's my favourite version as well. :) The didgeridoo just makes it perfect.

And seems like I wasn't too far off, except that it was 40 instead of Kite. The tribute seemed pretty impressive from what I can tell from Youtube videos.

So sad. Here's hoping that these losses pull the band together and make it more precious to all of them, rather than thinking their time must be over as they start to lose their crew to age.

Here is a little video of Steve Iredale, Dennis Sheehan, and Paul McGuinness on stage at Red Rocks just before the show, June 5, 1983, from 2:18 to 2:23. All three of them look so young. Dennis was around 37 and Paul was 32.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BrJ_2xf8Rg

Thanks for posting this. Great memories.
If they'd have played Clannad after "40" last night, i'd have completely lost it!

R.E.M. also posted their condolences regarding Dennis Sheehan's passing.
R.E.M.HQ: NEWS
Our deepest condolences to the extended U2 family on the sudden loss of their longtime tour manager Dennis Sheehan—our guys first knew him back in the summer of 1985, when R.E.M. played some stadium and festival dates supporting U2 in Europe. And many times over all the years since. Dennis was a consummate professional, and he totally took care of what became a huge and long lasting business; but he always maintained a goodhearted manner and kind attitude toward each person he encountered along the way. We can only imagine the grief and sadness all the U2 gang are feeling right now, and it makes us sad too. Michael Stipe added, "Dennis was one of the kindest men I have ever met. He was a great friend to u2, and a great friend to us. He was a great lover of music and art. Dennis always had a smile on his face and he was always quietly in charge--he knew where everyone was-- and where everyone was going. His energy and passion will be missed."

The Guardian has a description up of last night’s tribute to Dennis from the stage in Los Angeles, where the iNNOCENCE eXPERIENCE tour rolls on. And with gratitude to all the R.E.M. HQ and touring crew employees, we all know that as Bono says: “It takes a lot to put on a show . . .”

While reading a bit more about it and looking at some videos, I'm starting to understand how big this loss is for U2. Dennis not only managed all the logistics of planning and executing such a tour, he was also very close with the band during show days.
Here's an excerpt from his interview in the U2 Show book (emphasis is mine):
Shows are always great. I believe that for me the greatest experience is when the group is ready to go on and they walk out onto their stage. I generally do a countdown as we use music intros and timing is essential to them being on stage just at the right time. Then I walk out into the audience and look at people's faces. They light up. This is a big part of why I enjoy doing what I do for a living. That jubilation and happiness for those two and a half hours while the group is on stage are totally worthwhile and priceless.

I also watched a bit of the From The Sky Down documentary again. At the end, just before the band goes on stage at Glastonbury, we see Jake Berry do the countdown and signalling when which member has to walk out. But next to him was Dennis. So for years the last person the band members probably saw before they faced the audience was likely Dennis. Not having him there anymore will leave a huge void for them.
:sad:

Back
Top Bottom