U2 to support KOL at Dec.19th Dublin show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 were the first band ever to play in the Point Depot - the Desire sequence in Rattle and Hum being the result. In case anyone dosen't know, that old warehouse was The Point - That was just before it was tidied up a bit to become a concert venue first time around in 1989.

Also Harry Crosbie, owner and developer of the venue is a great friend and supporter of the band. However he also has a commercial interest in maintaining the U2 "legend" around the point or the "O2" as it's now unfortunately known. Part of the wider development of the site is a planned U2 "Experience" - sort of a museum type attraction devoted to the band. I'd say U2 supporting Kings of Leon in order to be the first band to play the new venue is very very likely, not just for the kudos of being first, but also because Mr Crosbie has probably fronted up plenty of money as an incentive....

U2 recorded some of Rattle and Hum there but they were not the first band to play it

Huey Lewis and the News were the first

U2 recorded there before it was a venue, when it was basically just a warehouse

I'm sure some busker played there before them when it was a train station, so they would of beaten U2 too

I'd love this to be true. Not just because I want them to play, but because it's the Point. Come on, they wouldn't let Coldplay play there before them??? (*ducks*)

If this happens, you'll all be like DaveC after it was confirmed that Pink Floyd was in fact reuniting for Live 8.

I'm sure some busker played there before them when it was a train station, so they would of beaten U2 too

It was never a railway station. It was a Freight Depot... Not too many buskers hanging around given it was in the middle of dublin's working docks and thus completely out of bounds to the public.

U2 were the first band to play in the space and at the time of Rattle and Hum it was used to promote and publicize the fact that it was about to be turned into a concert venue - yet again the Crosbie / U2 cooperation in action.

I'm not saying the rumours are true - the Mirror is a rag after all. I'm just putting forward the reasons why it's not by any means a crazy idea that U2 will be the first to play the new venue, even if the means to the end are unconventional (like playing support to a decent enough but hardly mindblowing band like KOL). Ideally a charity gig of some sort should have been the first event in the new O2 which would have given U2 and other artists with particular links to the venue a chance to play short sets and being a proper "gala opening".

It's an amazing looking venue inside by the way, totally purpose designed for music only, no compromises for basketball / ice hockey or whatever. i'll dig out some photos....

The O2 interior

The venue will hold 10,000 people seated with the lower tiers being retractable to allow a large standing "GA" area in front of the stage as can be seen in the picture with the capacity rising to 14,000. Just out of the picture, further right, is the stage area which is HUGE! Apparently it's big enough that the POPMART stage setup could have been accommmodated, minus the full length of the satellite stage... One wonders if smaller productions will end up being a bit dwarfed! We'll see.

Oh and just one more thing to totally discredit this

Kings of Leon will not be the first band playing the O2, the Cheerios Childline Concert takes place before it meaning the first band to play the O2 will be one of these "bands"

"BOYZONE,ENRIQUE IGLESIAS, SHAYNE WARD, ANASTACIA,
SCOUTING FOR GIRLS,THE SCRIPT, ALPHABEAT AND THE SATURDAYS"

I can't see U2 being the first onstage at that now, can any of you?

Hahah, oh my God could they not have gotten a better lineup than that!! Well indeed that puts the lid on that bit of speculation... Hopefully! Imagine the shame of U2 being in that company.... :sick:

So U2 were the first band to play in the new O2 at the weekend. Well half of U2 anyway. Bono and Edge played Desire and Van Diemen's land to celebrate the fact that work is complete on the O2.

Harry Crosbie and various friends and acquaintances were in attendance.

U2 wont be supporting the Kings of Leon this Friday. For ever more it will be on the record that that the first two songs played in the new O2 arena in Dublin were Desire and Van Diemen's land just as they were the first songs played in the old Point Depot.

Just so you know :D

So U2 were the first band to play in the new O2 at the weekend. Well half of U2 anyway. Bono and Edge played Desire and Van Diemen's land to celebrate the fact that work is complete on the O2.

Harry Crosbie and various friends and acquaintances were in attendance.

U2 wont be supporting the Kings of Leon this Friday. For ever more it will be on the record that that the first two songs played in the new O2 arena in Dublin were Desire and Van Diemen's land just as they were the first songs played in the old Point Depot.

Just so you know :D

already posted here: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...erform-two-old-songs-in-o2-dublin-191356.html

I knew they'd find some way to do it!! Pity it wasn't the full band though... Mores the pity that they didn't premiere a song for us as well! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom