U2 to perform at American Idol finale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's no real dynamic to the song. You've basically heard it all within 60 seconds (or whatever - after the first chorus).

Seems to me like one nice melodic chorus crammed into something pretty...unremarkable. Lyrically I guess it's okay, I'm talking about the song composition...you know...what separates songs from poems.

Boy Falls From the Sky OTOH, is great and would've been a better introduction to the music for Spiderman for such a wide audience. Especially with Edge actually playing something substantial rather than looking like a hood ornament.

There's no real dynamic to the song. You've basically heard it all within 60 seconds (or whatever - after the first chorus).

Seems to me like one nice melodic chorus crammed into something pretty...unremarkable. Lyrically I guess it's okay, I'm talking about the song composition...you know...what separates songs from poems.

Boy Falls From the Sky OTOH, is great and would've been a better introduction to the music for Spiderman for such a wide audience. Especially with Edge actually playing something substantial rather than looking like a hood ornament.

Not true, there is a bit more toward the end. Just remember it's from a play too.

I don't think it's the greatest song ever, but I do like it.

I like the song myself, but I do agree that Boy Falls would have probably resonated more and probably would have been a better intro to the musical like U2DMFan said. I guess they didn't because there's just one person singing Boy Falls, and they probably wanted both Bono and Reeve singing.

It still baffles me how you draw your conclusion Annie. BVS states a fact of musical style singing, and you conclude that he doesn't like Reeve's singing? How?

(responding to BVS here "I mean that because in musicals the songs are more conversational, the verses will often have varying melody lines. They won't be as uniform as say a pop song or rock song.")

Which is why I don't think it has nearly enough diversity. I am no Broadway expert but when I think of the great musicals I am most aware of (older stuff - West Side Story, The Sound of Music, etc.) I think of songs that have dynamics and move in and out and have varying melodies. Or at least a few variations within those same melodies.

Not true, there is a bit more toward the end. Just remember it's from a play too.

I understand it's from a play. It's the 'lead single' for this play. When I think of 'Broadway' I think of songs that move around. That's sort of the idea to me, that they are dramatic. Sometime too dramatic, probably most often overwrought. And IMO, unless the rest of the Spidey music is shit, it was a bad choice. And since the only other song I've heard is pretty great (BFFTS) then I feel confident in believing they made the wrong choice.

The outro doesn't deviate much from the basic melody, so a "bit more toward the end" doesn't really make the song anymore diverse, IMO.

(responding to BVS here "I mean that because in musicals the songs are more conversational, the verses will often have varying melody lines. They won't be as uniform as say a pop song or rock song.")

I agree, yet rock musicals have always tried to stick more to uniform verses as they can(at least the ones I can think of off the top of my head), of course it would make a big difference to hear it in context with the rest of the songs.

Back
Top Bottom