U2 to perform at 2018 grammy awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sigh, they're really gonna play Get Out Of Your Own Way...I expected it, but I really wanted Summer of Love.

Yeah, there're a number of tracks that I'd place above GOOYOW for single potential. And while I understand that fan favorite songs don't often coincide with what will work best for streaming/ radio, but even by that metric the song is pretty low on the SoE totem pole. Red Flag Day? Lights of Home? Summer of Love? LIBTAIIW? It's just one of the least interesting songs on the album (IMO, of course), and will most likely be met with muted reception and aid in shaping public perception of the record as just a collection of poppy, tired, U2-by-numbers material. Okay, I'm being a tad histrionic regarding the gravitas of their Grammy performance [emoji14] But my disappointment with their choice of single cannot be overstated!
And I'm still a bit gobsmacked that the band chose to spotlight American Soul over The Blackout on SNL o_0 I mean, yeah, Blackout could be seen as having already had its "time in the sun," so to speak, as being the first official thing we heard from U2 on the album--complete with video performance and some hype behind it--but all that attention seemed more directed towards the fans than the public. Ain't nobody getting excited about GOOYOW and ASs.

On one hand I'm irritated they are going to make fools of themselves performing American Soul or Get out, both being the worst tracks on the album.

On the other hand no one really watches the Grammys anymore anyway so whatever.

On one hand I'm irritated they are going to make fools of themselves performing American Soul or Get out, both being the worst tracks on the album.

I'm irritated as well! why wont they play RFD or SoL?

So what music show do they watch if not the Grammys? I mean, can you name another TV show or other setup where a single song music performances would get this much exposure on a single night. The only thing I can think of that would be larger in this context would be the Super Bowl halftime show.

Welp - if they're playing with Kendrick, and thus playing XXX, which includes part of American Soul... I have to imagine it's all part of the same performance, as playing XXX and then coming back to play American Soul later would be pretty dumb

It would be very dumb.....so it’s probably what they’ll wind up doing!

They like the song, so they are going to go all in with it I guess. It’s an okay song, not nearly as bad as some here claim but nothin special.

Blackout
Summer of Love
Love is Bigger
little Things
Red Flag Day

Would All be better choices to “win” people over

It's hard to see where that barge is... but I saw one tweet about it from a guy who's location was Union City, which is right across from midtown.

Also rumors that they're recording their portion for the Grammys tonight.

And if they are on a barge right on midtown, that's actually not the first time... They played Pier 84 when it used to be a concert venue during the War tour.

I saw Edge with an Les Paul in one of the photos... which likely means American Soul...

Truly amazing that on an album with so many good songs they continue to promote the absolute worst one.

One of the images in the background also says “you are”... i guess ‘rock and roll’ should follow... so American soul it is. I don’t hate it but i don’t like the Volcano parts in the song

Same. I cringe whenever I imagine what kinds of things Bono will say or do and the negative attention U2 will get from it. He or Kendrick Lamar will say something inflammatory and then the crazies will be out in force on Monday. But, then again, maybe no one will be watching. :lol:

Same. I cringe whenever I imagine what kinds of things Bono will say or do and the negative attention U2 will get from it. He or Kendrick Lamar will say something inflammatory and then the crazies will be out in force on Monday. But, then again, maybe no one will be watching. :lol:

It's just not "cutting edge" or "relevant" to slam Trump anymore. I mean, he's a wreck and a joke, but it's so overdone in comedy, late night shows, musicians, it's like "ok, what else have you got?" at this point.

It's just not "cutting edge" or "relevant" to slam Trump anymore. I mean, he's a wreck and a joke, but it's so overdone in comedy, late night shows, musicians, it's like "ok, what else have you got?" at this point.

Yeah, that’s how I feel, too. I can’t even watch late night talk shows anymore for that reason. At my house, we watch the beginning of the monologue to see if the first words out of their mouths are “Donald Trump” or “President Trump,” and they are about 9/10 times. More than a year has gone by; doesn’t anyone have anything else to talk about, or...?

It's always relevant to point out his awfulness and ugliness. From now until the day he's gone. And then after he's gone as well, so that we don't get any crazy ideas about doing this again anytime soon.

Instagram image from U2’s official account showed Edge’s Rickenbacker - which would indicate GOOYOW
- is it possible they play both? As in one straight into the other?

The second it stops, you normalize his abhorrent behavior and his minions post fact bullshit.

Not in my country.

It's always relevant to point out his awfulness and ugliness. From now until the day he's gone. And then after he's gone as well, so that we don't get any crazy ideas about doing this again anytime soon.

Look, musicians, artists, Hollywood celebs, talk show hosts are free to say anything they want about Trump for all four years, but it's already "artistically" stale. Even some liberals are getting tired of the same ol' same ol' as far as the art goes.

If someone does it in a creative, non "ham-fisted" fashion, then hey, something fresh could be added to the conversation. But if it's the same tired lame jokes that SNL, Fallon, Colbert, Kimmel, etc. are giving, and stuff like American Soul or Eminem's Trump bashing, then it's already old and uninteresting.

Old and uninteresting=people stop listening

Back
Top Bottom