U2 to perform at 2018 grammy awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So they’re trying to make a big statement about immigration, and they play the song that isn’t about that?

Typical.

It’s like the Best Thing video all over again.

I didn't even realize he said shithole countries... cause of the fucking megaphone

Did he really say that? That's my boy.

Very strong performance, and the megaphone didn't bother me too much. It sort of fit the context with the Statue of Liberty in the background.

I'm mixed on the return of the long hair. Looking kind of grizzly, but I still see the very good looking man underneath.

Twitter hasn't been too brutal. In fact, lots of people are applauding the message.

Good performance - Bono sounds a bit thin and ‘yell-y’ - he always does in the cold though. I’m surprised he didn’t fix the vocals through the day

Just watched the Album of the Year presentation. Man, would it have hurt Bono to step up to the podium with a better idea of what he wanted to say instead of ad-libbing it?

[tweet]957814515822940160[/tweet]

Now this is the U2 we missed.
It would be interesting if, on tour, Bono started to play with Trump's s*ithole tweets, statements and actions in a sarcastic-yet-serious way as he did here, just like Mirrorball Man/Macphisto used to do when calling to inconvenient people, in a reverse way of that that thing wants when shouting those absurdities.

Solid performance and bonus points for the shithole county blast. Good stuff.

It would be interesting if, on tour, Bono started to play with Trump's s*ithole tweets, statements and actions in a sarcastic-yet-serious way as he did here, just like Mirrorball Man/Macphisto used to do when calling to inconvenient people, in a reverse way of that that thing wants when shouting those absurdities.

No. If the live shows are all about Trump, I’m going to puke.

No. If the live shows are all about Trump, I’m going to puke.

I think JT30 shows the limit of how explicit they’re going to be about it on their own tour. At iHeart, Dreamforce, and Fallon they were willing to stick the knife in a bit, but on tour they were (rightly) more reserved. I’d expect to see that continue.

You must have missed the fan base deserting the band in droves.
I seem to remember political shows in the 80s when they were the biggest band in the world, heck even Live Aid was political. I'm not saying it's not cringeworty but they've been doing it since they started, SBS, BTBS etc.
Don't tell me we're going to get Trump supporters moaning about this now.

Great performance, just watched it on YouTube. Loved the " blessed the shithole countries " line. I had to rewind it to make sure he said it [emoji2]

Neither they nor their fans are the naive youngsters they used to be. So referencing the 1980s has limited relevance, to put it politely.

And the cringe has nothing to do with Trump. It has everything to do with not wanting to hear more bullshit from 'Bono Vox'.

Neither they nor their fans are the naive youngsters they used to be.

speak for yourself! i still feel about 18 in my head :lol:

seriously though, i'm not sure if people generally change who they are as people, their values, their outlook on humanity, between growing up and adulthood... i have the same social/political views now as i had then... emotionally i've changed due to various upheavals, but politically and socially, no

Last edited:
It would be interesting if, on tour, Bono started to play with the rich asshole's s*ithole tweets, statements and actions in a sarcastic-yet-serious way as he did here, just like Mirrorball Man/Macphisto used to do when calling to inconvenient people, in a reverse way of that that thing wants when shouting those absurdities.

Aye sure.

Hope he included his flesh pressing chum Pence in the diatribe, it's a package deal Bono, two parts of the same suck. Then again after the BFF Bush era a man who actually toppled the dominos in March 2003 that led to Syria's current plight, well... awkward...

Aye sure.

Hope he included his flesh pressing chum Pence in the diatribe, it's a package deal Bono, two parts of the same suck. Then again after the BFF Bush era a man who actually toppled the dominos in March 2003 that led to Syria's current plight, well... awkward...

The situation in Syria and the rest of the Arab Spring had nothing to do with Iraq. The Arab Spring started in December 2010 when a Tunisian lit himself on fire to protest his abuse by the government. The act spread across social media in the Arab world leading to demonstrations and revolts in many countries in 2011. The conflict in Syria did not start until March 2011, long after the worst violence in Iraq to that point had subsided and there was relative calm in the country.

Wow, USA TODAY shreds U2’s Grammy performance as one of the night’s worst. “Next time, leave them on the barge until they decide to stop using the country’s legitimate traumas for their empty posturing.”

shCsw9o.jpg

Last edited:
The situation in Syria and the rest of the Arab Spring had nothing to do with Iraq....

Nothing...

----

As for the gig, look they can certainly show some voice again and some of the fanbase will go "yeah!" others and the public beyond perhaps less so, mainly because we remember a time not so long ago, when it certainly appeared that Bono gave way too many of these same grotesque bastards an undeserved 'shusht don't mention the war' pass given what was going on at the time. I see no difference between these two admins except one made it eight long destructive years and this one will likely be toast by 2019.

For me, last night again was a case of "Christ, where was this in 2002?". And Pence is a homophobic POS and both he and DT are a package deal of pish. I guess be consistent is all anyone is asking...

Back
Top Bottom