U2 to perform at 2018 grammy awards - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay oh sing your song let your song be sung
Local Time: 02:16 PM
I am going to pipe in and say that's right, we CANNOT normalize or stop bitching about DT and if that means we get U2 singing ASoul on a barge to the kids, then that's what it is. Bono cannot resist this tv platform to reach outside the fan base and bash Trump and I for one love it! I understand it. It's not about the die hard fans and the songs we want to hear live, it's about making a statement to the masses on one of the biggest TV shows in music featuring other artists and music fans. It's a year later and DT is still there. That's a year too long. We stop being a thorn or megaphone in his side.. he wins. Stale or not, annoying or not, we have to PERSIST, resist, and march, walk out in to the street and sing our hearts out...(sorry lol ) be a thorn in the side of this disaster DT. This is U2's protest if you will, kind of like their march against Trump it's the jab they so badly want to take with their art at the American state of affairs. It's not about playing songs that are creatively more interesting in this arena. IMO.

Jeannieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
It's not.

It's not the best song on the album by any stretch, but it's far from the shit stain that was Boots.

Unless there's guy-liner... then all bets are off.
"Boots" is a lyrical disgrace, yet is far more interesting sonically than "American Soul"... which is also far from being a lyrical oeuvre d'art either.

Aygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #93
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:16 PM
I skip American Soul.

I use Boots as TP.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #94
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
Look, musicians, artists, Hollywood celebs, talk show hosts are free to say anything they want about Trump for all four years, but it's already "artistically" stale. Even some liberals are getting tired of the same ol' same ol' as far as the art goes.

If someone does it in a creative, non "ham-fisted" fashion, then hey, something fresh could be added to the conversation. But if it's the same tired lame jokes that SNL, Fallon, Colbert, Kimmel, etc. are giving, and stuff like American Soul or Eminem's Trump bashing, then it's already old and uninteresting.

Old and uninteresting=people stop listening
Must be why Colbert's ratings are so poor.

What's that, Timmy? His ratings are through the roof? He's passed the Tonight Show for the first time in decades?

Must be all that Trump bashing boredom.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #95
The Fly

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Quote:

What's that, Timmy? His ratings are through the roof? He's passed the Tonight Show for the first time in decades?

Ever the contrarian.....

If it bothers you that Colbert is on that list, then feel free to ignore it
Gzusfrk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #96
War Child

Oh dear Lord ... if this band plays American Soul on national TV again I may gouge my eyes out. For the life of me I can't understand what they're thinking. Either promote the singles, or .. if they want to play something political... the Blackout would be a much, much better choice.

UPDATE: Just saw the video. It is American Soul isn't it?! Does anyone know which tool would be best for eye gouging?
U2freakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:00 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
Look, musicians, artists, Hollywood celebs, talk show hosts are free to say anything they want about Trump for all four years, but it's already "artistically" stale. Even some liberals are getting tired of the same ol' same ol' as far as the art goes.

If someone does it in a creative, non "ham-fisted" fashion, then hey, something fresh could be added to the conversation. But if it's the same tired lame jokes that SNL, Fallon, Colbert, Kimmel, etc. are giving, and stuff like American Soul or Eminem's Trump bashing, then it's already old and uninteresting.

Old and uninteresting=people stop listening
Seconded. No matter what the topic is, repeating the same thing over and over again gets tiresome. We get it, he’s not a great person and people don’t like him. It’s going to be awkward in 2020 when they realize that they forgot how to write jokes about anything else.
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

That’s funny, because all I’ve ever heard people say about that show is that they hate it because all he does is talk about politics.
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #99
Refugee

The Blackout would be a good change of pace to alternate with AS and accomplish a similar intent. Can’t wait to see it live and it’s just weird that it has been basically ignored except for the Facebook video.
zoocarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:46 PM   #100
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2freakboy View Post
Oh dear Lord ... if this band plays American Soul on national TV again I may gouge my eyes out. For the life of me I can't understand what they're thinking. Either promote the singles, or .. if they want to play something political... the Blackout would be a much, much better choice.

UPDATE: Just saw the video. It is American Soul isn't it?! Does anyone know which tool would be best for eye gouging?
Spot on- America's collective eyes will roll if Bono pulls out that f***in bullhorn again
Fumbleitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:42 AM   #101
Blue Crack Distributor

So let's get something straight here... the only people who will be watching and rolling eyes at American Soul and the bullhorn are people like us.

The overwhelming majority of Grammy viewers have not seen either.

That's not a defense of the song choice, that's just reality.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:06 AM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie

They haven't really got any of these single choices, performances choices right since atomic bomb have they.

There's so many great songs on the record and they choose American soul. It's in my bottom 2 on the record. I don't mind it though, I don't think it's a bad track, there's just better on the record.
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:56 AM   #103
Blue Crack Distributor

If I had to guess, I'd say that the barge performance is part of the Kendrick collaboration that will open the show, and that they'll play another song inside the garden later on in the evening.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:00 AM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie

U2 to perform at 2018 grammy awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
Seconded. No matter what the topic is, repeating the same thing over and over again gets tiresome. We get it, he’s not a great person and people don’t like him. It’s going to be awkward in 2020 when they realize that they forgot how to write jokes about anything else.

Wrong post
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #105
The Fly

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Thumbs Up

Quote:
It's always relevant to point out his awfulness and ugliness. From now until the day he's gone. And then after he's gone as well, so that we don't get any crazy ideas about doing this again anytime soon.

Maroon Bells is offline   Reply With Quote