U2 to be topped by One Direction!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I doubt they will break the record. Cant see them playing to more people and commanding higher ticket prices

This is exactly what they were created to do. They are a low risk, business model product pandering to the popular demographic. Pretending not to hear of them or bashing their music is rather pointless.

I don't know them either. :shrug:

I've heard and read about them randomly but I have no idea what kind of music they are making. And I didn't know they were so big.

This is exactly what they were created to do. They are a low risk, business model product pandering to the popular demographic. Pretending not to hear of them or bashing their music is rather pointless.

I agree. Boy bands and teenage pop have been and will be around forever. Bashing them is picking the lowest hanging fruit. It's a much bigger sin, IMO, to be Maroon 5 or some other vapid pop that wears the cloak of rock.

That said, honestly I had never heard them or if I had, was not aware that I was hearing them - until I saw them on SNL.

One Direction has quite a few fun and very catchy pop songs. And their new album just added a bunch more of those to their list. I like a lot of their songs about a hundred times more than any song from a lot of the boring bands that are or have been popular lately. The guys are nice kids too, not deserving of getting bashed for no actual reason. :shrug:

I agree. Boy bands and teenage pop have been and will be around forever. Bashing them is picking the lowest hanging fruit. It's a much bigger sin, IMO, to be Maroon 5 or some other vapid pop that wears the cloak of rock.

That said, honestly I had never heard them or if I had, was not aware that I was hearing them - until I saw them on SNL.

One Direction has quite a few fun and very catchy pop songs. And their new album just added a bunch more of those to their list. I like a lot of their songs about a hundred times more than any song from a lot of the boring bands that are or have been popular lately. The guys are nice kids too, not deserving of getting bashed for no actual reason. :shrug:

i'm sure they're nice lads, but i'm just cynical because i watched that series of the X-Factor UK back then (with my daughter ;) ) and saw the whole thing being manufactured by Simon Cowell (the boys auditioned as individuals, but weren't strong enough to get thru on their own as solo artists, so Cowell put them together to make a band, just like he also did with Little Mix) :yuck:

so um yeah... it was an informed bashing ;)

don't get me wrong though - i'm not a music snob by any means - i do like some boy bands, i mean i love Take That, and have a soft spot for Westlife even!

Nice boy bands who are basically an industry product with music that sounds like the music of a dozen other pop bands just aren't my thing although I am a pop fan and there's a lot of pop music I really love. But I'm too old for music that seems to appeal mainly to 13 year olds and I hardly ever listen to mainstream radio because I can't stand most of today's chart music.

Maroon 5 had some great songs back in the day.

Weren't The Monkees also a put together band made by a TV network? They were fun too. I'm just saying give them a chance. They're still very young, and who knows what they will do in the future, but right now they're just making some fun music. Though of course boy bands and they're type of pop aren't for everyone. ;)

Weren't The Monkees also a put together band made by a TV network? They were fun too. I'm just saying give them a chance. They're still very young, and who knows what they will do in the future, but right now they're just making some fun music. Though of course boy bands and they're type of pop aren't for everyone. ;)

Hey The Monkees! You know they were a major influence on The Beatles!

Sent from my carrier pigeon using U2 Interference mobile app

Good for them - records are meant to be broken and U2 isn't done yet :) Touring is where the money is made these days in most cases.

U2 tickets will be at least 50 percent more expensive the next tour, they are just as interested in making money as One Direction anybody that says differently is living in a dream world.

Thankfully U2 is still making music that is appealing to the ear as well but they certainly aren't going to turn their nose up making a profit out of it either.

By the way Rihanna already has more "certified" album sales then U2 by approximately 14 million and shes only been recording music since 2005.

List of best-selling music artists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good for them - records are meant to be broken and U2 isn't done yet :) Touring is where the money is made these days in most cases.

U2 tickets will be at least 50 percent more expensive the next tour, they are just as interested in making money as One Direction anybody that says differently is living in a dream world.

Thankfully U2 is still making music that is appealing to the ear as well but they certainly aren't going to turn their nose up making a profit out of it either.

By the way Rihanna already has more "certified" album sales then U2 by approximately 14 million and shes only been recording music since 2005.

List of best-selling music artists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rihanna is believed to have only sold 30 million albums. Her single sales in the digital age are immense though

:lol: Where do you get the conclusion from that ticket prices will be that much more expensive? They deliberately kept the prices low last time so everyone could come out and see them.

I'm starting to get on in years, so I have no idea who or what a "One Direction" is supposed to be. Another term for "bowel movement" perhaps? :hmm:

I think that ticket increase speculation is based on the expectation that they will be playing arenas. But of course if they were playing arenas it wouldn't matter because they could never, ever play enough shows to come close to the number of tickets sold in a stadium tour.

Back
Top Bottom